• entries
  • comments
  • views

Valley Fever

The hot news in the Sacramento Valley is the arrival of a Bombay Outlet at the Vacaville Premium Outlets off Nut Tree Road. Why is a Bombay Company outlet good news for dollhouse fans, you ask? Because the outlets carry the Bombay dollhouse, a solid Georgian mansion with remarkably few rooms, and the Bombay furniture, at $5 a pop. We bought a truly bizarre sideboard and a fairly normal tea cart.If you keep heading east, there are some worthwhile miniature-picking destinations along the I-80 corridor. Get off in Davis at the downtown Davis exit (Richardson Blvd.). Go through the underpass. As you emerge, you'll pass on your right a sage-green complex of late Victorian buildings (street address is 132 E. St.). In that complex is A Better Place to Bead, an excellent bead store for many exciting dollhouse projects. There is a scrapbook store in the same plaza, but it's not extensive. Davis otherwise is only for when you feel lucky: the toy store and hobby store really don't carry anything dollhouse friendly, but the ethnic boutiques are many and varied.Get back on I-80 and go east to Sacramento. You want an exit for something like Q Street, as you're going to 9th and R, the location of the Wishing Well, a Sacramento institution and one of the most exciting party supply stores on earth. The downstairs bins of party favors in the under-25-cents range are usually more exciting than the craft section upstairs. I've bought 1:12 scale huaraches, faux neon signs, a pogo stick, and various exciting plastic animals to be repainted for projects.When you're done there, head north to J Street and go outbound (east toward suburbia). At 23rd and I, there's Magic in Miniature, a very quirky little shop that runs heavily to fairies and resin furniture. This also puts you in the midtown region, one of Sacramento's better spots for seeking out lunch.You're now headed east to the far 'burbs. Important destinations include U Bead It, which offered (at last visit) a major supply of tiny animals and kitchenware, and the Elegant Dollhouse, your basic Regional Dollhouse Store, with an outstanding selection of glass, china, and pewter, as well as lots of smaller scales and some unusual vintage houses.If you're still feeling energetic, there's a Pier 1 Clearance Store in Rancho Cordova. Sometimes the napkin rings and coasters yield ideas.We skipped Sacramento on this visit, though, and headed back west to Berkeley, where the lone light on the miniaturist's horizon is Scrapbook Territory, one of the largest and most complete scrapbook stores anywhere, with an emphasis on contemporary designs. We bought so much paper that I have to redo an almost-completed dollhouse kitchen in order to use it. They've also started stocking little metal charms, one of which was... wait for it!... a 1:12-scale cheese grater! How's that for going home happy?

0 Comments

Recommended Comments

There are no comments to display.

Add a comment...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.