• entries
  • comments
  • views

Going Public with Content Blocks

Mini Man

Over the past few years I've been using my blog mostly for technical notes, but last fall I deleted all the entries so that I could use it for a tutorial on how to get the most out of our community blogs. Well, I'm no closer to writing that tutorial, but I figured I'd make it available anyway. There are a few key features I think are being overlooked, so as time allows, I will add a post about these features. This post will start us off and it's all about Content Blocks!

What are Content Blocks?

When you first set your blog up, you'll notice a stack of boxes, or "blocks" to the right of the entries area... the calendar counts as a content block, for example. So does the list of your most recent entries, blog categories, etc. These content blocks are customizable! You can re-order them, you can delete them completely. You can also create new ones!

Why Bother with Content Blocks?

Content blocks are a cool way to personalize your blog and further connect with your readers. You can use them to prominently highlight stuff that interests you, or is important to you. For example, I added a "What's Been Keeping Me Busy" content block, which links to the books I'm currently reading, movies I'm watching, games I'm playing and sites I'm browsing. You just need to glance over to the right side of the page and you'll know what I'm up to! You could create a content block about your current miniature projects, a brief bio, or create a block you update daily with your mood, what you're listening to, what's for dinner - the possibilities here are endless! If you decide to add pictures to your content blocks, the default width is 250 pixels so it's important that any pictures you add are small enough to fit.

How to Setup Content Blocks

• Click My Blog

• Click the Content Blocks Button

• From the menu that drops down, click Add Custom Content Block

• Type in a Block Name

• Type in your text! Just like your blog entries, you can format it and include images and links.

• Preview and/or submit

• Click My Controls
    • On the far left menu, scroll down to Community Blog
    • Click Content Blocks Settings
    • Scroll down to add new content block or reorganize your existing blocks.
    • Even simpler, you can click on the title bar of any content block and drag it into a new position. So easy!
    • Done! That's all there is to it! You can now edit/delete your custom blocks right from your main blog page, which makes updating easy. I look forward to seeing how you put your Content Blocks to use!

0 Comments

Recommended Comments

There are no comments to display.

Add a comment...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.