• entries
  • comments
  • views

The Bare Nekkid Maggie: session 1

havanaholly

Warning: this blog contains extensive nudity and occasional strong language. Viewer discretion is advised.

It was bandied about that we ought to show at least one of each kit build as it will look in all its pristine grandeur "as is" without the creative license/ bashing your building team tend to take, or decorating. I was asked to undertake the first such build, so what you'll see here is the Magnolia kit pretty much as I first saw one built (unfinished) in a hobby shop on one of our travels. When I saw the built house it said "beach cottage", and when I opened the box it repeated itself, louder blogentry-8-1176119312_thumb.jpg so I laid aside the brickwork sheets. I also removed the acetate window & door inserts and laid them aside between sheets of paper to protect them from being scratched, but where I would see them, so I wouldn't "lose" them later.

I decided that given my limitations in decorating/ bashing after everything is permanently assembled, I would use poster putty for temporarily attaching trims, etc. You who will want to build this kit "as is" may go ahead and glue.

For the "bare" build this is what I used:

Stanley utility knife (you may use a craft knife, if you prefer, I tend to get heavyhanded)

Probond wood glue

2" blue painter's tape & beige masking tape.

sandpaper from the kit fastened to my sanding block

(poster putty for temporary installations is not required)

I began the build 1/28/07. I read the instruction sheet. There are some grammatical problems, apparently parts of the instructions were revised at one time but no one seems to have gone back and finished the revision. As usual, the first part of the instructions advise to assemble the windows and doors. I do NOT do this, normally, both to protect the acetate inserts and because installing windows & trims & hanging doors is the last thing I do after all the painting and decorating. Because I'm building an undecorated version, I did remove pieces. For protecting the acetate from scratches I will not install them.

I also ignore the parts about sealing with shellac and assembling with hot glue.

I began the build at Part C in the instructions. blogentry-8-1176120181_thumb.jpg The kit parts required only minimal shaving of the tab sides for a perfect fit into the slots, although the front wall did require one BLUE word to take it apart after the dry-fit for gluing.

I dry-fit and then installed the divider wall blogentry-8-1176121042_thumb.jpg and began installing trim and temporarily stuck doors together. blogentry-8-1176121292_thumb.jpg

BTW, d'ja notice the curved windows? I set aside the puchouts, which will make perfect cradle rockers for a future project.

complements of havanaholly

blogentry-8-1176119312_thumb.jpg

blogentry-8-1176120181_thumb.jpg

blogentry-8-1176121042_thumb.jpg

blogentry-8-1176121292_thumb.jpg

0 Comments

Recommended Comments

There are no comments to display.

Add a comment...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.