Sherr's Blog

• entries
  • comments
  • views

Townhouse Cont'd. pg 3

Sherr

I wanted to put some extra attention into the fireplace design but felt the need to save a little money, so I opted out of buying some of the amazing Lawbre and Artisan made fireplaces I saw online and decided to kit bash!

I started out with the Miniature House Tidewater Kit and built the basic shell. The resemblance stopped there. I reworked the mouldings and mantle shelf to be a little more substantial and then added some pilasters to the overmantle.

th_2609839340084664828.jpg th_April232006055.jpg th_fireplace.jpg

All the bricks are cut out individually from egg cartons (a technique I found on the internet) painted, sealed and grouted with spackling. I think this method was easy and very convicing.

th_2925251170084664828.jpg

I did the attic chimney breast the same way.

th_livingcrop.jpg th_household006.jpg th_minijuly015.jpg th_minijuly006.jpg

For the living room fireplace I actually cut my own kit from the Miniature House patterns and then added even fancier pilasters with flutes and recessed panel bases. An HBS window pediment is above the portrait moulding. I liked making the pilasters so much that I added them around the room. I was able to hollow out the walls and hide sconce wiring behind them.

After all this I am at the point of no return. I am MINI OBSESSED :whistle: . And more work to do.....

3 Comments

Recommended Comments

Awesome! Love the detail. Can you tell me where to find the link about making bricks from egg cartons? I'm new at this, have only made one house and have another one on the way. You've shown me some great ideas. Thanks! Leah

Add a comment...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.