• entries
  • comments
  • views

Washington 2.0 - Construction

KathieB

Mollie is my 10-year-old goddaughter. We're building the Washington 2.0. Mollie has visions of it being an old time farmhouse but with modern conveniences, which include a horse or two in the yard.

Here's Mollie, hard at work sanding and hamming it up for the camera while showing off the dry fit.

blogentry-818-1197665769_thumb.jpg ... blogentry-818-1197665788_thumb.jpg

Mollie hung in there during the sanding and priming with gesso, and finally we were able to glue the main structure together. It was glued before I read the instruction about the lock pieces that become the base for the window boxes. I can cheerfully report that if you cut off the small end of the piece, the part that goes into the floor, you can glue all the pieces in and no one will be the wiser.

The building components are well engineered. Although some of the boards were well warped after we finished priming them, all of them pulled back into shape when the house was assembled. The fit is so close, that we could get away without baseboards or crown moldings -- no gaps! :ohyeah:

blogentry-818-1197665978_thumb.jpg ... blogentry-818-1197665997_thumb.jpg

We decided to decorate while we could still flip the house around easily. The living room (bottom left) is painted a lovely Jamaican blue. The other three rooms --kitchen (bottom right), nursery (upper left), and master bedroom (upper right) all have scrapbook paper on the walls. The kitchen also sports scrapbook paper for a lovely faux linoleum floor. The living room floor and kitchen wainscoting is paper coated with matte finish Modge Podge. The nursery floor is scrapbook paper. The master bedroom floor is paint sponged over paint and coated with matte finish Modge Podge.

blogentry-818-1197666698_thumb.jpg ... blogentry-818-1197666721_thumb.jpg

Mollie's attention began to fade when we got to the trimmings, but she managed to sand and paint her share. The chimney is painted with acrylics with a multi-colored sponged finish. The siding will be light blue, the window and porch trim white. Porch floor gray. Shutters will be the same green as the lattice under the porch, with light blue diamonds. The roof will be black. (The roof section is built and painted but not shingled. I neglected to get a photo of it.)

Here's something that surprised me: there is no trim provided for the insides of the windows and the front and kitchen doors, and none for the two internal doors. I'm making some out of 1/16-inch balsa I happened to have on hand. Without it, the acrylic window "glass" would be glued onto the inside wall. (Unless I missed something in the directions, but I've been through them a few times and don't see how else it could be done. I'm going to glue the acetate to the window frames I made, then glue them on the inside, so the acetate will be sandwiched between the outside and inside mullions.

blogentry-818-1197666981_thumb.jpg ... blogentry-818-1197666997_thumb.jpg

1 Comment

Recommended Comments

Oh my, you and Mollie sure have kept busy with the Washington, love whewre you are going with it as well! Thank you for sharing it with us!

Really looking forward to see more progress on it as well ;)

Hugs ;)

Add a comment...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.