Peggi's Blog

• entries
  • comments
  • views

Progress being made

Peggi

Over the past month, some progress has been made. We decided to make bay windows for the first floor. These will show the bakery section and the kitchen. Riley first make a cardboard mock up of the bays in order to make sure that he could make them and also to get an accurate size to cut the new window openings.

blogentry-70-1206907585_thumb.jpg After the mock up, he then made the frames from scrap pieces from various dollhouse kits. The windows panes are made from plastic that protect some mini furniture.blogentry-70-1206907758_thumb.jpg They are not glued in yet, just held in place to get an idea of how they will look and to check that window opening was cut correctly. Once these were made, I decided the next step would be to wire it. Here I must put a big thank you to Wenlaine, because she had mentioned in her Van Buren blog that she used the fold over method instead of using the brads to run her wire in one continuous circuit. Never trying that method, but knowing without folding over the wire, I was going to spend a lot of time cutting and running tape, I got out the CirKit instruction book and read up on the method. So I was able to use one roll of tape with out any breaks thru this house. It's not neat, but every room should be able to be lit without any problems.blogentry-70-1206908035_thumb.jpg With this house having 3 stories, with a central hall and two rooms on each side, the fold over method of wiring was a lifesaver.

Also, in order to make sure the 3rd floor could have lights, I went ahead and attached the roof.

blogentry-70-1206908113_thumb.jpg

Although the interior doors have not been installed, Riley is working on making them all pin-hinged by making a door frame and running the pin thru it. When he actually gets to this part, I will take plenty of pictures, as it seems a lot of folks would like to know how to pin-hinge.

Next, I primed the interior with regular primer and sealer paint except the 1st floor entryway. I plan on staining this.blogentry-70-1206908341_thumb.jpg

I've also been playing around with my brick stencils and Dab's Water Putty. Although, I've done some on scrap pieces blogentry-70-1206909704_thumb.jpgI'm still real nervous about bricking the house. So to either save me from having to re-do the entire house, I'm starting with the front. I painted the front black--which I want my grout lines to be and started with the "quoins" part. I also, taped all the windows up, to make it easier to see where my brick should stop and to keep from totally messing up the rooms.

blogentry-70-1206908778_thumb.jpg

I don't know about any one else, but I'm a sloppy painter and brick layer.

Well, yesterday was the big day to try the quoins. Right now, I'm not sure if I'm happy with them or not. But after working on them most of the day, I've got my shoulders cramping up and a my back yelling so the brick work will have to wait until later this week, when my old muscles relax enough for me to bend back over. But here are the pictures of the quoins. The stencil for the quoins also extends for the brick, I've scrapped that part off, because although I want a grayish look for the quoins, I want all of my brick red. In my experiments, I've added the paint straight to the putty mixture.

blogentry-70-1206908811_thumb.jpgblogentry-70-1206908837_thumb.jpg

I'm having a small amount of trouble getting just the right amount of the putty mixture mixed. But before this house is finished I should have it down to a science--the mixture, the waiting time, etc.

I'm making myself notes for the order I must follow. From the basic shell, it is easy to tell that the center rooms must be wallpapered before the stairs go in, the flooring must be done on the 3rd floor before the little room is added.

Another matter that must be dealt with is how DGD and I differ on what period, I was thinking that for a 13 year old she would probably want a more modern look, but when I ask her to go to HBS and create a wish list for the furniture/accessories, she had marked things more in line with early 1900. (This after I had already ordered a beautiful blue marbled type bathroom set). So this house may be a mixture of old and new alike. Hoping before long she will be able to come up and help start making food stuff for the bakery part.

A big hint was dropped to DD that she may want to order her a nice turntable from HBS with the 50% off sale. While in Home Depot earlier today I picked up an one inch dowel,which I am hopeing will work for columns for the front porch.

As some of you know, I do the building but rely heavily on Riley to make some of my ideas come to life--like the bay windows, the interior working doors and next on his list is to figure out a good foundation and how to work at least one stair leading to the front door. We make such a good team. LOL

Have any of you ever had the dread feeling that you will ruin a beautiful house? This is one nice house and my biggest fear is not doing it justice. But we shall continue and redo if necessary to make a nice upscale home/bakery.

1 Comment

Recommended Comments

Peggi, you're doing a great job! I love the quoins, it's going to look perfect on this house. There is nothing you need to fear, just follow your instincts and it will turn out wonderful. That's one lucky grand/daughter you have there.

Add a comment...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.