• entries
  • comments
  • views

Creating a Crape/Crepe Myrtle Tree

KathieB

One of my favorite trees is the crape myrtle. I love its bright flowers and clean, gray trunk and limbs. This photo was my inspiration for this project. In doing research, I discovered that the tree name can be spelled crape or crepe.

blogentry-818-1207352854_thumb.jpg

I looked through my stash of artificial flowers and found some ivy with stems that came close to the shape I was looking for and some red salvia that could be chopped up for blooms.

blogentry-818-1207352885_thumb.jpg

blogentry-818-1207352895_thumb.jpg

I glued three stems together, since crape myrtles grow in clumps, and painted them a silvery beige. Next time, I'll paint them first and then glue them to a base. :)

blogentry-818-1207353344_thumb.jpg

I had some green vines left over from another project. I chopped the vine into segments with 4-6 leaves per segment. I wanted small clumps of green leaves, as the tree blooms as the leaves are coming out in the spring and this is for an early spring scene. If it were later in the summer, I'd add more leaves.

It was a bit tedious gluing on the leaves and blooms, but I think my patience paid off.

blogentry-818-1207352904_thumb.jpg

There will be a different base on the trees when they are planted into the landscape. Since they're going into the Adams for the Creatin' Contest, I can't show you how they look in situ ... but I can tell you I'm pleased with the effect. ;)

blogentry-818-1207352925_thumb.jpg

0 Comments

Recommended Comments

There are no comments to display.

Add a comment...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.