• entries
  • comments
  • views

Tilly's Christmas Tree

Tilly Wants Cake

So I thought maybe I could shave a couple dollars off the cost of this $60 Pink Christmas tree by making it myself. Dollhouse tree kits start at about $36 for a decent one, lights with enough bulbs and a battery pack seem to be about $20, ornaments aren't too bad, but by then you've already spent $56 so it's hard to imagine saving any money in the long run.

So someone on the forums here said that the Michael's Lemax village bulbs are pretty inexpensive. They also have some trees (pre-decorated with indoor ornaments or outdoor snow). Then Matt's mom sent me a 50% off coupon via email yesterday. So why not?

I got a Blue Spruce exterior tree. It's about 10" tall, which is about 2.5" too tall, but I can remove the base, trim off from the bottom, and reattach the base or make another for the right height. It's got a bit of not-quite powdered snow on it (seems to have been mixed with an adhesive liquid and sprayed on, but it just kinda makes it look sparkly, not snow-frosted like some other ones I've seen). The top branches need some help separating from each other, but overall it's got a great shape and it was only $6.99.

The Lemax lights were multi-colored, ran on a battery, and came in a pack of 50 bulbs, WAY more than you get with dollhouse rice grain bulbs! It was only $8.99!

I also got some 1/8" Christmas colored cord for garland at about $4 for the roll. Matt was with me, and he veto'd the pink tree. ;) Maybe this will be Nettle's tree next year and Tilly can have a pink one then. :p

So my total was what? $20? Thinking I'd save $4.49 with the coupon, I went to the register. The total rang up as $10.49 after Matt threw in a Twix bar cause we were late for dinner. When she used the coupon, it said -$.50. Um... well, the total was lower than I expected so I wasn't going to argue.

In the car I checked my receipt. The trim ribbon was marked down to $1.49. The Spruce was marked down to $3.49. The Lights were marked down to $4.49. So the Twix was the only regularly-priced item eligible for the 50% off coupon. :p

So there. Let that be a lesson to me never to assume I can't make something cheaper. :p I still have to order ornaments. I'll get a set of multi-colored balls and silver ornaments and star for the top. That'll cost me about $10 plus shipping. Not bad! Sure, I have to make it, but now I'm saving over $40, and it's worth it!

I dropped my camera on Saturday when I was straightening up the work room, and discovered this morning I needed to open it because the casing had popped open slightly. Not having time for that, you get an iPhone photo of the tree thrown together. ;) With a big doll head in the background, why not?

tillytree-1.jpg

I am now SUPER excited to work on Tilly's bakery this weekend. I still have doll heads to photograph, which I hope to get to tonight, and other commission stuff that will be worked on during the evenings for the rest of the week. Eeee, miniatures!

0 Comments

Recommended Comments

There are no comments to display.

Add a comment...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.