• entries
  • comments
  • views

Progress Without Pictures

Tilly Wants Cake

Matt gave me a handful of miniatures on Friday which were Christmas themed, which he didn't want me to only be able to display on Christmas day! I got the little green and red paper chain (love!), a set of working candlesticks for the windows, a gingerbread house and the Reutter Gluhwein set! ;) I can't wait to set it all up!

I know I worked a bunch on the dollhouse but I don't really feel like it looks that different! I mostly worked on the doors. There were some fitting adjustments needed, so they haven't been installed as yet. I painted the undersides of the eaves with Delta Ceramcoat's Mudstone (I got so confused when I went to put the second coat on - it dries a dark dark green but goes on a light tan. I kept checking the bottle to make sure I was using the right color!). Then I painted the doors, glued on the windows, added hinges to the front door and glued on the trim, which is still taped at the moment to get them to stay flat over the hinge brads. Unfortunately I already glued on the interior door trim and have paperclay on the outside, so I will have to figure out how to get the hinges on the door frame! Whoops!

I didn't have enough hinges to put on the upstairs door (mistcalculation on my part with regard to the cabinet doors under the window seat), but since I don't have any lights for the upstairs yet, she needs all the natural light she can get, LOL!

I started to work on the custom cabinet to go under the big window. It's all drawn out on the basswood sheet I have, I just need to lube up my knuckles with a lot of drinking water today so I don't get too arthritic when I cut them out tonight! I wanted to figure out a way to include a glass door, but I think I'll just upgrade it someday and do what I can for now.

I finished the Christmas tree! I had two sets of ornaments I'd ordered from HBS before my husband-inflicted ban on ordering, so those got glued on after I'd cut down the trunk to fit the 8" ceiling, and after I'd trimmed the tree with lights and garland. Thank goodness for Quick Grip! The tree looks perfect. I need to get some quilting fabric so I can make a tree skirt. If I can't find some in fat quarters tonight I'll get some fabric cut for the window seat cushion as well (which I have measurements for now) - I've already been through the JoAnn fat quarters and they don't have anything that would match. I'm thinking either the dusty pink from the wallpaper or dark brown from the walnut trim.

So tonight, as I mentioned, I'll cut the cabinet pieces, stain them and, if dry, assemble! I'm waiting on an order of those tiny sockets so I can convert and plug in the corded lights I have, including the candles. Hopefully those arrive soon. I got them from Oakridge Hobbies, which is my first purchase from them, so I'm a bit nervous about their shipping times (last year I ordered from the Crafts, Etc. website and it took almost two months to ship!).

There's a DollhousesAndMore.com order in the mail, which has Tilly's unfinished prep table and the trim for the upstairs door. Wish I'd realized I was low on hinges!

I also don't have doorknobs for my doors, so maybe I won't install any and will just wedge them in place for photos until I can get those, too.

Casey has been posting little Christmas tutorials that I'd love to try once I get the bakery basically furnished. If I have spare time tonight I will also build a counter for Tilly's cash register.

Maybe I'll remember to take photos tonight!

0 Comments

Recommended Comments

There are no comments to display.

Add a comment...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.