• entries
  • comments
  • views

Tilly Wants Cake

I started right after dinner on Friday evening. By the end of the evening I was feeling high and mighty, certain I could finish the room box with Saturday afternoon to spare.

Sunday afternoon I was still going! LOL, isn't that always the way?

It worked out very well that it was extremely warm here in New England over the weekend. My husband and I, who normally cloister in the bedroom, performed our respective activities downstairs, sharing the dining room table (plus 1 leaf). MUCH more room to work than I usually end up with, and the bedroom stayed cool without the video game systems, laptop and occasional sewing machine running, too! :blink:

So Friday, I:

Cut the exterior wallpaper and glue it in place, cut the flooring and glued it in place, printed a photo to put behind the window glass, ran the tapewire, glued in the lamp and built the structure for the brick interior chimney.

I also removed half the depth of the window unit (since I didn't want it to be a real portal to the exterior of the room box), at which point my little saw claimed a victim:

photo.jpg

The chimney piece:

photo-1.jpg

On Saturday:

I finished hooking up the electrics. As you can see, the junction splice's screw and prongs were a bit long for the thickness of the wall! I had planned to put the window towards the left wall, but moved it in the end to cover the breakthrough.

As you can see, I also got more work done on the chimney bricks. I actually finished this up before the evening was through, but it was too dark to photograph by then.

I also experimented with the exterior trim paint (intended to simulate concrete).

photo-3.jpg

Sunday we started with a supply run for glitter to add texture and possible some sparkles to the concrete, sandpaper for the roof of the 'high rise' and felt for simulating my friend's little plushies.

Once back at work, I started by gluing in the chimney, which had dried overnight. Not shown til the final photos below is the trim, which drove me mad! The floor molding was made from birch siding strips glue double-thick and then cut lengthwise in half.

I also repainted the desktop in shades of gray (which helped to hide how AWFUL the carving is on this thing. No space bar? Really?), printed posters for two of my friend's favorite movies, cut the plushies from felt and painted eyes on, glued the molding and window in place, painted the exterior trim and then, finally, glued the sandpaper 'roofing' in place.

photo-7.jpg

photo-8.jpg

photo-9.jpg

photo-10.jpg

photo-11.jpg

All that's left is to print out some computer screen displays on glossy for the laptop and desktop. If there's time tonight (I need to mail this tomorrow!), I also want to add a shade to the window. I have a sheer white fabric that I was using last week that I *really* hope I didn't toss the scraps from, as it would be perfect for letting the view come through!

So there! Almost start-to-finish in one weekend! Not too shabby!

My husband also agreed that hot days this summer would be spent the same way, so I'll have *plenty* of room for the Glencroft he got me for my birthday! :p

1 Comment

Recommended Comments

Add a comment...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.