• entries
  • comments
  • views

Half Way Point

pdlnpeabody

Its almost been 3 years since I started this house and I'm finally finishing the 1st floor. Technically I'm past the 1/2 way point due to the fact that the basement, all but the few damaged areas of wood framing and about 1/3 of the attic are finished.

Most of the 2nd floor frame damage is just a few studs missing from about half of the different wall sections. It might take an hour or two to repair. The attic is another story. One of the two rooms was completely framed and sheathed before the accident. Now about half of the wall panels are either missing or damaged and all of the walls have varying amounts of damage. The 3rd floor turret framing is completely demolished and will have to be rebuilt up to the roof cone. Not impossible to repair, but a lot of extra work and expense.

Regarding the 1st floor- I just laid the last of the bricks. The faux brick panel for the main entrance exterior light is made and ready to be wired and installed. After that its a lot of mortar work. I still have the dining room window casement to make and install, relocate the kitchen main circuit wire, and panel/detail the kitchen's exterior. Interior work left is just a few pieces of base and crown moulding in the dining room, fabrication and installation of the foyer's light switches and a few other little things. The 2nd floor deck is ready for installation and wiring as soon as those few items are complete. I also put a shallow coffered ceiling in the foyer to finish off the back-lit crown moulding. The security alarm panel is installed with working red & green "lights" (two fiber optic lines running from another light). Now if I can find a way to get a good picture of it with the lights on. . .

I getting excited about the 2nd floor parquet inlay. The library will be spectacular if I can produce what I have in mind. That and the bookcases are really the only complex parts of the 2nd floor. If I stay on schedule, I should begin working on those details by the 2nd week of September and possibly be ready to move on to the attic by January 2012.

I also attached a photo of the houses taken by Rhonda in Kentucky about 30 minutes before the accident.

0 Comments

Recommended Comments

There are no comments to display.

Add a comment...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.