• entries
  • comments
  • views

A New Door for the Summerhouse....

Debra from Olde Cape Cod

Was getting bored making sticks with rivets! The Summerhouse is looking good, but I wanted to switch it up and do something else today. blogentry-3022-0-91746000-1436315471_thu It still needed a side door and I was going to build one but thought I'd check my scrap box first. I couldn't believe there was a door in there and that it also fit the opening! blogentry-3022-0-71663500-1436315591_thu Looks like it needs some rivets to me! LOL! This is a two part door that is typical of the Greenleaf kits so was wondering how to paint the back piece that would form the panels. I ended up painting it copper like the fender I built the other day. The Captain saw all the bling on the door and fainted dead away! blogentry-3022-0-93412200-1436315525_thu I hollered to Rose to get the smelling salts and quickly painted black over all those flat backed crystals. blogentry-3022-0-40364900-1436315566_thu We revived him straightaway and Rose took him inside for a cup of tea. He was mumbling something about how I would be the death of him yet..... When I painted the opposite side the color of the interior trim, it looked like it definitely needed something. I was going to try building a steampunk contraption on the door, but Rose had other ideas. She wanted something more decorative so she went looking through my box of wooden parts. This is what she came up with; blogentry-3022-0-26148500-1436315486_thu It fit on the door perfectly! So a little bit of paint later...blogentry-3022-0-68365600-1436315501_thu This still needs more work and since the door opening is just a little bigger, I've decided to hinge it instead of just gluing it in place....so there will be a working side door on the Summerhouse! Stay tuned as we continue work on this in between making more sticks with rivets! LOL! Have a great evening!

3 Comments

Recommended Comments

Did you notice the ET-ish (or alien type) faces in the centers of the "hearts" in the cut out designs? The top and bottom ones have an open mouth and the two sides have a closed mouth. From a distance the piece seems smooth and set into the wood but up close I can see it is appliqued on top. Maybe some rivet edge trim will satisfy the poor Captain since this was Rose's more decorative idea.

Love it, btw. Clever and beautiful as always.

• Like 1

Good eyeballs Selkie!  I never saw ET in there! LOL!  I think rivets are a good idea too...I could always dry brush them with gold, Rose would like that....Did you see your Muse a few entries back? :)

She hasn't come home yet and I'm lonely. Wish you could convince her but I suspect she likes your toys better than mine.

Add a comment...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.