Deb's Blog

• entries
  • comments
  • views

Curtains, curtains, and more curtains!

Deb

Making mini curtains is such fussy work.  It's time consuming and requires a lot of attention to detail, but in the end the results are SO worth the time and effort.  I've spent a couple weeks working on curtains for the Tennyson and I think I tossed more in the trash than I ended up using, but I'm finally content with these.

I'd intended on using some color for the windows but the house had completely different plans and thwarted ever attempt at using colors or prints.  It insisted on white silk and lace for every room and steadfastly refused everything except clean, crisp lines with touches of lace.  Miss Tennyson is dedicated to remaining as light and airy as a house can be!   I have to agree with her that it's a softly elegant country look that's in keeping with my vision so I'm glad she's being so insistent.  Unlike some houses, she's not demanding or diva-ish about it.  She's more like a gracious, kindly aunt whispering, "No dear, that's just not the way it's done.  It's not proper to be so bold.  Remain quietly dignified."   And since I never argue with a house (well, not much anyway), I've followed her direction and came up with the following.

This is the attic dormer window.  I don't have this one attached to the frame yet since it's a close fit and I don't want to take a chance on getting wood glue on the fabric when I assemble the house.  But it's all one unit so once the house is assembled I can simply glue it in place and put a few drops of glue on the side to hold them down straight.  I chose a cascading ruffle for this window because it'll have a rocking chair and small table holding needlework and a sewing basket sitting in the dormer alcove.  This allows light to come thru and would be the perfect place to sit and embroider.  

large.attic_dormer_curtain.jpg.bb9d0ec49

On the second floor left side bedroom (the room with the screen door leading out to the balcony), I made a simple straight curtain to show off the fabulous lace valance.  That lace will be used on the bedskirt which is why I kept the design simple so it won't fight with the bed for dominance in the room.  I made some drapery pulls with tassels from white embroidery thread that I'll add later.  The valance draws the eye towards the tin hearts on the wallpaper border to create a very soft, demurely romantic look.  

large.bedroom_2_curtain.jpg.7c45b6e6c6e4

In the other bedroom, the bay window presented itself for what I thought would be some fancy curtains with overlays of lilac silk.  <shaking head>  Nope.  Miss Tennyson nixed that idea immediately and said that the room needed a little more light and a minimum of fussy fabric.  I've always liked cafe curtains so I tried it and luckily Miss Tennyson agreed.  I may add some silk ribbon bows or cascades to them later but for now, the clean lines and slight billows as if they're moving in the breeze works just right.

large.bedroom_bay_windows.jpg.b256d460d9

The downstairs bay windows in the family parlor came together nicely.  I was a little afraid that when I put them together they might be overpowering for the space, but they don't crowd each other at all.  They're a little fancier than the bedrooms, but since it's a common area where the family might entertain, that's okay.  They still look light and airy.

large.parlor_bay_curtains.jpg.af78f509a9

I wasn't sure about going so monochromatic with the white silk and lace in every window, but with the house back in dry fit, I was pleasantly surprised at how it pulls the rooms together in a subtle way.  I'm also surprised at how frilly and romantic this house is becoming when that wasn't really my intention.  But since all the lacy curtains, frills and curly ques in the furniture are monochromatic, it keeps it from being overwhelming.  

large.first_and_second_floor_curtains.jp

I must admit that I'm tired of playing with fabric for now and can't wait to start building again.  This morning I put all the furniture back in its box and double checked my pencil marks for wiring and the placement of outlets.  I'm going to add a couple of extra outlets just in case I want to add some more lamps to it later.  I need to make paper templates of the floors and then it'll be time to take it out of dry fit and start work again.  I'm going thru a few days of inhibited body movement so it may be a couple of days before my joints are cooperative but as soon as they loosen up, I'll be cranking up that dremel and getting my hands dirty again!

2 Comments

Recommended Comments

Add a comment...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.