• entries
  • comments
  • views

More color for the San Fran.

rbytsdy

Well I had to go get more paper to finish the attic-- three sheets of Recollections "Blue Wallpaper" wasn't enough! Finished gluing the attic subassembly, and went to glue it onto the main house structure. Well the tabs in front help align to the front, but there is nothing to help align those long sides that glue onto the angled trim on the 3rd floor. I suppose if I were clever, I would've glued a bracing piece onto the roof to interface to the angled trim. I had to clamp as best I could to try to get a seal, and will trim inside to strengthen that joint.

large.IMG_3590.jpg.5839484bdc595daf3ff26large.IMG_3591.jpg.f3db00d16ae3798b20b5b

Also what is going on here is the (completion of) dry-fitting of the tower; one dry-assembles the tower in place, then marks where the roof wall intersects, then removes the tower pieces and cuts them, then assembles the tower and glues into place. It looks as though I had already cut the tower pieces in these pics.

large.IMG_3592.jpg.edfd7ec05bd6614c783ae

Decided that it was time to get to the staircases; used a bit of stiff foam to keep the sides at the right distance while the risers were drying, and clamped the structures into place in the house for the glue to dry, so as to minimize issues with square-ness later.

large.IMG_3594.jpg.ad9a98a9403b23e98427dlarge.IMG_3593.jpg.3d965120805109b813015

Dry-fitting the wallpapered staircases in the house, and a look at how the railing will look (kit railing, which isn't in bad shape):

large.IMG_3596.jpg.61232f3d07dba65f7b03c

Laying out the wiring, which is a battery pack operated set of lights on long wires that I found on Amazon, similar to this

large.IMG_3597.jpg.f4d0b825a0d2e042e0027

I had found a very nice patterned length of wired ribbon at Joann's, I believe, and had thought that it might make nice window shades for the country house, but I think it had too much gold in it and I didn't end up using it anyway. (There is enough left if I change my mind. :p ) It was great coloring and width to use for stair runners in the San Fran, however:

large.IMG_3598.jpg.0e0111a81308fbdb0fe89

An exterior shot with the roof on:

large.IMG_3595.jpg.1c6d979e7d5596a59f0e2

An interior shot, with the front part of the ceilings papered (dry-fit, as I have not glued them on yet). Each ceiling on the 1st and 2nd floor is divided by the brace piece that holds the two parts of the ceiling piece together. I am waiting on little Tiffany lampshades from Dejoux before I can finish out the main part of the ceilings (I thought that it would be cute to do out the whole house with Tiffany lampshades), but I wanted to get that fitting done inside the bays. I finished all the floor and ceiling templates (on cardstock), and due to some things not being quite square, as well as the nature of this house, there was a fair amount of fitting to do! :dunce:  Trim will take care of the rest of it.

large.IMG_3599.jpg.4a5ddb1c08bdbebb27b15

Didn't have fishscale shingles for the front gables, and didn't like the prospect of cutting the thick shingles that came with the kit, so dug out a bunch of thin shingles (that I didn't use for the Laurel, actually) and cut their ends round, and started painting their rainbow colors a la Robin Carey:

large.IMG_3600.jpg.e3bfbc5d6bed0caaf93bflarge.IMG_3602.jpg.901b66e7540eaa7facbe1

I am going so far as to actually place the colors in the same order that she did! :p (Why mess with a great design!)

• Like 1

0 Comments

Recommended Comments

There are no comments to display.

Add a comment...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.