• entries
  • comments
  • views

Roof of stump fairy house

Goldenrodfarm

I decided on a roof line I liked for the stump and got started trying to cobble something together.  It has been hit or miss all week.  For some reason I ended up doing the peaked part first, bad move.  I made a bunch of tiny roof support pieces of wood on the table saw 1/2" x 1/4" and about 18" long, I figured I could cut all the pieces I wanted from them, however I may have to make more.  The first attempt was just a tryout to figure out the size, it was a real disaster, I don't know what I was thinking, but I didn't line up the pieces in the same direction so that next supports could fit on the wide section, that got trashed, or rather sawed apart to reused the pieces.  I then started with a dowel center and cut 30 degree attachments on each.  That ended up way too wide.  I am also finding that there is no place to put a clamp on after attaching the first 4 arms.  The third attempt was a much sharper angle with a dowel center, I didn't make any attempt to cut it to size at that point but I still thought it was too big and I was having trouble figuring out the next part.  So I started in a different route after looking at a lot of gazebo roofs, I made a 6 sided circle with 30 degree angles on some 2" pieces of wood, after glueing it together I started estimating the angles on the pieces to reach the stump starting on the front so the hexagon would be centered from side to side, but a little to the back.  I had them all glued Saturday night but pushed my luck to try it on the stump and dropped it with still slightly wet glue, mess!  I put it back together yesterday and added the final leg, but it was not the correct angle, so this morning I cut it off with the razor saw and corrected the angle.  I discovered yesterday that the third peak is just the right size to join to the hexagon so that will be the next step.  Once the structure is all together I will make a curved top probably from paper mache, then I need to figure out what the ceiling will look like from the inside before I finish the outside.  I would like to make a dormer either in the broad lower section or the peaked part, although I may just make a small window in the peak with a slight roof over it. 

The first picture is the hexagon with the beams sticking out, I am gluing on the last beam.  The second picture is the peak, it looks angled in that picture where I have it perched on my crowded bench, but it is straight.

IMG_1031.JPG

IMG_1032.JPG

0 Comments

Recommended Comments

There are no comments to display.

Add a comment...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.