Johnson Towers

• entries
  • comments
  • views

Tiny Houses, No, Really

jaie

So, I live in a tiny house. Like, literally. It's 280 square feet. It's a vintage travel trailer from the 50s. I do have my old trailer, which I use mainly for storage, where I'm currently purging, with the goal of eventually getting everything down so that eventually, life can be lived in under 700 square feet.

But it brings up interesting issues when you're working with dollhouses. What takes up not much room in the world of tiny, can take up a ton of space in the world of tiny houses. And I'm building an apartment ;) 

The majority of the build took place in my tiny house, but the house itself, will live in the other space, at least until I have a new home. 

So yesterday, after the last of the beams had been fixed in place, I took the shops up to my big place to live. The other apartments will be built out in what I lovingly call my tiny house "the minty turd". 

What would I do if I didn't have the big place? Probably make the apartment building weatherproof ;) but I'd prove that when it comes to dollhouses, space constraints shouldn't constrain your dreams.

IMG_1471.jpg

4 Comments

Recommended Comments

I'm also a tiny house inhabitant. My husband, nephew and I live in 600 sq.ft.....and I just started my first dollhouse build. Eventually I will have our shed rehabbed for my studio, until then I do my best to keep things cleaned and organized. It's a good thing that I lean toward minimalism (although this dollhouse really isn't minimal) lol. 

• Like 1

Hi! I am not in a "tiny house" but am in a "tiny space" (550 square feet) and just beginning to use it as a studio for cigar box and dollhouse builds as well as living in it. Sometimes I am here on my own and sometimes my musician partner is here, too. My art supplies are in a closet and I have an art cart of sorts under our dining room table (which is also my work table.) It is getting interesting. Would love to know how others manage to put projects away and stay tidy. I can see where every bit of wall space will soon be used.

I live in a Tiny most of the year (roughly 14*8), as I travel for work, ironicly, I do miniatures as a hobby, which takes up more space than one would think of.  Probably because Im a mini-maker, and I collect what I make (as well as dust, ugh). My regular house is also small 720sf where I have built a studio space in the sloped roof attic (it's a sewing table and 2 sets of low shelves, with wood across and my "Tiny" setup,In total takes up nearly 7*10 ft.  My "Tiny" setup is a little folding table that is about 2*4" (it is just under that size)It fits a 10 drawer rolling cart under it (it replaced 3 boxes!) and little metal 3 tier rolling supply cart-the newest addition!) and my grand dads old tackle-box that I stored my writing supplies. This, I pull out to sit at the table (yes, I use a folding chair there).  I don't build large houses or items in general. The widest/deepest project would be around 14" with a max height of 21". or things that could fit on a bookshelf width. Designing most of my builds myself and using at-hand supplies like cardboard, foam packing and clear plastics from packages saves me space, money, time, and the environment a ton. The space is definitely a creative one (like Picasso!) if you do this kind of system try to make your color-scheme match so it doesn't overwhelm the eyes, which easily happens in small spaces. It keeps tidy, I don't store anything on the tops except for the project build if it's a house or shop. I keep a nice table cloth handy so if I'm not working on it for a few days or have a guest, I put everything away and roll the carts under, toss the cloth on the table so it covers the "mess" up (we know how non-creatives are) lol...I can have my space a total mess (really) and clean up in less than 15 min.  Rolling drawer set contains building supplies and tools, with my cutting mats covering the top(dual use space). The 3-tier pullout cart, contains my old tackle box (also called my writing box) on the bottom, with a couple containers for building supplies I washed out papered over 3 pringles containers with lids here which hold the sidings I make, trim pieces, and dowels. The second tier holds all the paints, the paint trays, sealers, stains etc. The top has a wood cover (also a work surface if I need, I cut it from a shelf I had that was re-sized) holds at hand items like glue, popsicle sticks, and things I'm using on the now project, I use painted tin cans to hold the items so I can grab and put back quickly and it keeps the clutter off the table so I can work. When done I stash it all away. I'ts not fancy at all but works well for me.  A person could easily make a small version of one of those CraftBox-type products for reasonable effort and price also.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, CaddyCrafts said:

a 10 drawer rolling cart

Your setup sounds perfect for your space. The logistics of combining a workspace and living space reveals the precision of your medical/military background.😊

I'm in the process of downsizing from a 3-bedroom house (where one room was dedicated to crafting) to a one-bedroom apartment. The only piece of furniture on my shopping list is something similar to this rolling workbench. It will roll into a closet when not in use and hold tools and materials that once filled a dozen plastic drawers. There are less expensive models that are only 18" deep. I think it's worth the extra for a 46" x 24" worksurface. I have a Beacon Hill itching to climb aboard.

Husky 46 in. W x 24.5 in. D Standard Duty 9-Drawer Mobile Workbench Cabinet with Solid Wood Top in Gloss Blue H46MWC9GBV2 - The Home Depot

• Like 1
Add a comment...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.