• entries
  • comments
  • views

Oh, Canada! and more...

First, a confession: our tour of Ontario dollhouse shops is far from complete, due to dicey maps, Boxing Week closures, and general confusion. So what's here is an example to tempt you into visiting Toronto, not anything near a complete catalog of what you might find.TorontoThe major, must-do stop is The Little Dollhouse Company, located in the sort of cute neighborhood where you may as well just pay for maximum parking time and wander around. This is not so much a shop as an event. They carry the familiar major brands of houses (yes, I saw a Beacon Hill looming in the distance) as well as selling their own line of houses. The stock includes "affordable" brands of furniture and accessories -- which I appreciate because that's what I can afford most of the time! -- but the really outstanding strength is the range of artisanal pieces, starting at some surprisingly modest price points.How do you not fall in love with Don Henry's silver? "$84 for a butter dish?" you exclaim. (Actually, about $75 in US dollars.) Yes... but the butter dish has four parts, just like the real one it's modeled on, and every part is delicately to scale. These aren't toys: these are reality, reworked in 1:12. Do you prefer highly accurate glassware? Food? Kitchen packages? Handbags? Pets? It's all there -- and this is your best source for Canadian artisans. Alas, the shop's Web site doesn't show the gorgeous Chinese-style furniture that just about made me regret having multiple "affordable" dollhouses instead of one perfect no-expense-spared house. We also visited Martin House Dolls, which puts their dollhouse selection in the midst of collectible dolls and bears. They get some of the English front-opening houses, and the husband swears he spotted some Bespaq pieces that he hasn't seen elsewhere. The bulk of the stock runs high-end: I recognized a few gorgeous imported kitchens that I can't afford, ever, along with finding some new out-of-reach goodies.My delightful little find was Tin Taj (913 Queen St. W.), which is essentially a gift store but stocks an unpredictable array of dollhouse-sized items. We bought a little white wire wicker and a clay flower pot.Western New York"Whoa!" you say. "Western New York is not in Ontario!" No, it's not -- but the husband's relatives are in Rochester, and it was Christmas. See a connection?Kookla's Miniature World in Pittsford is the shop for bringing husbands. The miniatures include an outstanding selection of furniture and accessories for the den, the workshop, the pool hall, the fishing shack, and other stereotypically guy-oriented places. How often do you see a choice of taxidermed animal heads to stick on the wall? Or six different ship models?Ironically, given all the testosterone in the air, what initially opened our wallets was a selection of mini shopping bags from famous stores, some defunct, some not. No San Franciscan could possibly resist a Gump's bag.Working westward across the Rochester metro, Dan's Crafts & Things caches some out-of-production Greenleaf and Corona kits. This is an old-style hobby shop, where there are also trains, planes, and automobiles (as well as floral supply), and the craft stock isn't as trend-driven as at Michael's or Joann... but I liked it. Furniture selection was perfunctory, so this is more a supply location than a full-service dollhouse shop.Now, if you really want to dig, Main Street Doll Emporium is like nothing on earth. Sticking out from shelves of just... stuff... endless stuff... are built Greenleaf houses in need of some renovation, including some long-defunct models. This is the place to look for furniture and accessories that were discontinued 20 years ago. There's new stuff, too... well, there's just a lot of stuff. Wear old clothes and sturdy shoes. If you don't think you can slither down narrow aisles, bring an agile, cooperative, mid-sized child.

0 Comments

Recommended Comments

There are no comments to display.

Add a comment...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.