The Orchid Dollhouse Construction Blog

• entries
  • comments
  • views

Contributors to this blog

nuttiwebgal

I began building the Orchid by cleaning up and reorganizing my work area.

than yesterday I let the peices out of the box! they were so Happy!

I like to have a plan for each house when I start it seems to move along quicker that way

so plan is for house to be given to my soon to be 86 yr old grandmother. so I am taking extra care in the prep work. I stained both floors with Americana stain waited a couple of hours and than applied 1 coat of polyurethane. of course weather seldom cooperates with primering and this project was no differrent

so DH had to take the walls down to our lower shed and spray them there...after about 3 hours I had them bring them up to put the shell together. the floor and walls were still a bit tacky when it went together so I left it in front of the fan to dry for a couple of hours...and than applied another coat of polyurethane. it has 3 on it now...one thing about using so many coats of poly on the floors makes it easier to clean up my ooops!

blog-9-1154111180_thumb.jpg blog-9-1154111219_thumb.jpg

I took this photo of the 2nd floor to show how unusual the woodgrain was on this peice...when I first took it out of the box I wasnt sure if stain would look ok on it...I was happily suprized!

blog-9-1154111333_thumb.jpg

the roof going on.

blog-9-1154111403_thumb.jpg

showing the tape which holds it all in place while the glue dries!

blog-9-1154111482_thumb.jpg

as with every house I try to keep it organized by placing all my spare peices in ziplock

baggies. it is also a good idea to lable each of the peices as it goes into the bag.

blog-9-1154111642_thumb.jpg

I have started the paint/tissue effect I like to use to give the house a plaster look.

I am using an oops paint from Home depot but it may be too dark for the look I want...so I will paint over it when it dries.

with all the waiting yesterday for things to dry I put in about 8 hours...but the actual hands on building probably took an hour. I let the glue dry overnight. before starting the outside effect.

blog-9-1154111809_thumb.jpg

this photo shows creative use of clamps to get this one corner to stay put. tape just would NOT do it. it happens!

TTFN

nutti :lol:

3 Comments

Recommended Comments

Whoa-ho! That grain on the second floor is one that people pay extra for as a veneer on furniture... I really like how it came out.

I can't wait to get started! There's no room in the camper for the McKinley AND the Orchid unless I left the latter flat in its box ;) :p

Oh, I love how the stain turned out, and your toiletpaper stucco looks sooo good!

BTW, where you're using clamps is where I hit it with the stapler...

What a prize you got with that floor!! It's beautiful! The whole house is coming out great. Deb

Add a comment...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.