• entry
  • comments
  • views

The first week: A rough start... (sort of)

ladybug324

Well, so here I am with my first blog, my first dollhouse. Since I'm using this dollhouse as a learning experience, I decided to write my blog as a series of lessons. So here we go with the first lesson! :lol:

Lesson #1 - It's okay to ask for help.

I started putting this Pierce together - my very first dollhouse - on August 12, 2006. It's been almost a week of working on it and so far I am still working on the staircase.

Well, I encountered an issue from the very start with this kit - one of the sheets was missing, sheet #10, which contains a foundation part I need to complete one of the very beginning steps. I called Greenleaf the following Monday (16th) and they are sending me the missing sheet.

Well I put together just the base. Which I had a myriad of problems with. How hard is it to put two simple pieces of wood together? I discovered: very hard. The problem was I wasn't using the right glue and clamping it. With the help of my new friends in this community, I was able to figure out the best glue for me to use and learned how to use masking tape (well, I'm using that blue painter's tape) as innovative clamping method.

At first I was slightly frustrated that sheet #10 was missing, I felt like I couldn't go on. I received a very wonderful suggestion from one of the members of this great community that I could continue on to the next step. Which would be put together the staircase.

So I started the staircase, but then had a "blonde" moment (no offense to any blondes out there, I'm just using it as a cliche), on what I thought to be a very misaligned tab and slot. But, once again, the members of this community to the rescue!! :angry:

Boy, I sure would be completely lost already if it weren't for the people on here. I am so grateful! :huh:

Well, I am still working on that darn staircase (it seems so hard to put together!), and I'm just anxiously awaiting the arrival of sheet #10.

Meanwhile, in the past week in which I joined this community and started my new hobby, I've bought a dremel and many other supplies and tools and begun to learn how to use the dremel. I've decided to gather up my courage and join the October mini-swap. And I bought two more dollhouses on Joann's online store - the Harrison and the Aster Cottage which I plan to kitbash and turn into Japanese homes.

And most importantly in this past week, I've joined a wonderful community of like-minded mini-enthusiasts (or I have learned, we are all "addicts") who have warmly welcomed me and have already helped me tremendously!

2 Comments

Recommended Comments

I am just trying to figure out which exterior walls go where so I can get their insides wallpapered according to which room they are.  So far only 3 of the walls seem to fit.  This is my third dollhouse.  the other two from another company just went together no problem.  this one seems as if the elevation is mirror image.  I have been so careful painting and mounting windows exactly as in the directions,  Help!  I asked for a view of the elevation of the far left but no luck from Greenleaf.  I amwell and truly stuck.

Add a comment...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.