The Orchid Dollhouse Construction Blog

• entries
  • comments
  • views

Contributors to this blog

7th session, 19-22 September

havanaholly

In our travels to the campground at Natural Chimneys I spotted a house with a turret (brick) with the roof entirely shingled in a diamond pattern. While processing the prior roll of film at Wal-Mart I found wonderful 4-packs of 9" X 11" 60-grit sandpaper that appeared to be in scale to do the job :angry:

blog-8-1159550529_thumb.jpg

The thickness looked mighty close to scale and I figured 1" squares would give the roofing effect I wanted for the Orchid. The first step was to mark the back of each sheet into 1" grids, which is easy-peasy with paper in whole inch dimensions such as this; 9" X 11" yields 99 shingles per sheet of sandpaper.

blog-8-1159550868_thumb.jpg

I had to cut strips 3/4" wide along the 11" side to give me flat-edged strips for the roof tops & bottoms, as well as 1" wide strips to cover the peaks. Next I cut out my edge strips and the individual squares.

blog-8-1159550934_thumb.jpg

The first step I did to shingle the roof was to cut 1/2" wide strips of aluminum foil to glue over the roof seams for "flashing".

blog-8-1159551078_thumb.jpg

The roof I'm copying had copper flashing, but my copper foil is, you guessed it, at home!

Next I glued the 3/4 strips along the flat edges of the roof pieces (and below the dormers) and I began to glue the square shingles on in the diamond pattern.

blog-8-1159551299_thumb.jpg

Using paper, any sort of paper, for shingles makes trimming for odd angles to get fit along the joining seams a whole lot easier! :huh:

I wound up making shingles from both packs of sandpaper, although I have some left over. I shall probably use the wooden shingles that came with the kit to cover the dormers and gable when I get home.

Beware the smug feeling of accomplishment, I missed the lower edge of the back roof opening with a straight strip of the 3/4" wide sandpaper, but here is the completed shingling job ready to pop back under the bed to finish drying.

blog-8-1159551656_thumb.jpg

0 Comments

Recommended Comments

There are no comments to display.

Add a comment...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.