• entries
  • comments
  • views

About this blog

Adapting The Astor as a Fairy House

Entries in this blog

Met Today's Goal

I had just about given up hope that I would be able to stain the doors, windows, beams, and timber framing today, as I didn't think I would have enough time to finish all of the fussy sanding needed in preparation for the staining. As it turned out, I was able to finish the sanding yesterday so it was staining day! For the exterior timber framing, I mixed an earthy green, brown, and sienna oil paints and thinned them down with turpentine to make a mossy green. For the beams and mantle I made

Chris P.

Chris P.

Preparation, Preparation, Preparation!

I am pleased with today's progress. It was good to have a day off work so I could put some time, thought, and energy into getting started on the preparation stage of building this doll house. I am wondering if this one is a beginner's kit ~ not that it matters, I am determined to see this through. The first thing I accomplished today was getting the base floor and second floor sanded and primed. I used a latex primer, then painted the first floor ceiling white in pre

Chris P.

Chris P.

Ginger Bread Construction - Really

Well, the time and energy it takes teaching has not left me with time to really launch into my doll house project. While I was hoping for a snow day today so I would have time to work on my fairy house project, the actual case was that while schools were closed all around me were closed, my school was open. I am not whining, we had a good time and my class got to begin to put their gingerbread architecture together this afternoon. They designed their structures and made their patterns on Tues

Chris P.

Chris P.

Introducing My Fairy House Project

I received my Corona Aster kit this past weekend and am very excited about embarking on my project. My plan is to trick it out as a Fairy House for my niece and granddaughters, instead of making it a doll house. I want to incorporate elements from nature into the design. It will also have an odd scale since fairies will live there. After all, fairies are small and have some things fairy scale, but they are also a bit limited to needing some things from the human world. The first t

Chris P.

Chris P.