• entries
  • comments
  • views

About this blog

Chronicals of the making of a tree stump fairy house

Entries in this blog

stump fairy house, still sanding!

Been doing more sanding when weather permits, kind of cold out there sometimes, and way too much dust for in the house.  Doing more of the fine sanding now, getting the wood very smooth.  I figured out where I want doors and windows, at least part of them but haven't had the courage to cut yet, cutting is so final.  I  think I am going to work on the bed, I can do lathe work in the house on the tiny lathe and it is not very messy, at least no dust and I can do it on newspaper to cleanup f

Goldenrodfarm

Goldenrodfarm

stump fairy house, still sanding!

Been doing more sanding when weather permits, kind of cold out there sometimes, and way too much dust for in the house.  Doing more of the fine sanding now, getting the wood very smooth.  I figured out where I want doors and windows, at least part of them but haven't had the courage to cut yet, cutting is so final.  I  think I am going to work on the bed, I can do lathe work in the house on the tiny lathe and it is not very messy, at least no dust and I can do it on newspaper to cleanup f

Goldenrodfarm

Goldenrodfarm

Stump Fairy House, doors and windows

I haven’t posted in a while because this is a really busy time on the farm getting ready for winter, plus I am still doing a lot of sanding on the inside to make the wood smooth, and sanding is a boring topic for a blog.  Sanding makes a mess and has to be done in the shop, and it is very cold out there right now.  I have been wavering on making windows then cutting holes or making holes then the windows, I can see pluses and minuses to both ways.  Windows are going to be tricky because o

Goldenrodfarm

Goldenrodfarm

Stump fairy house

I was excited to get my led lights from Evans Designs the other day, I am waiting for some crystals to work on the light that will go in the peak of the roof.  I need to get it in place before I do more work on the roof so the wires can run between the layers.  I think I may gave to get some chain to hang it, I was originally going to fix it in the peak, but hanging a little would be better.  I have been doing a ton of sanding, and still have lots to do, the curves of the stump and the ha

Goldenrodfarm

Goldenrodfarm

Stump Fairy house, base

I took a break from the roof line, mostly because I am not quite sure how I want it finished on the inside.  One of the 200+yo sugar maples lost a limb last summer and the biggest part of the stump is still sitting up there.  It is partly sawed up but I had the bright idea of using a slab to set my fairy house on.  The slab would give me ample room to landscape if I decide to, or the natural wood would be nice looking as a base.  The limb was about 1/3 of the tree and as big as a lot of 5

Goldenrodfarm

Goldenrodfarm

Still working on the roof

I got the outline of what I wanted to do on the roof, but should have thought about what I wanted the inside to look like, probably before I joined the upper and lower parts.  I have been muddling over this the past few days.  I thought to cut a hexagon piece of wood to place on the bottom of the peaked part, which will be the ceiling of the second floor.  Realizing that the top of the hexagon would need some treatment along with the v's that make up the peak, I thought about several appr

Goldenrodfarm

Goldenrodfarm

Roofline on stump fairy house

Today I joined the hexagon with the peak, I like the sizing.  The next step is to add cross pieces to attach secondary beams, then I will trim up all the beams.  The secondary beams will also end up all being at different angles.  I haven't figured out what to cover it with, but the shingles will be pine cone pieces.  A very good friend of mine promised to send me some large pine cones, I wasn't in a hurry, but she would mention it occasionally when we chatted.  She was a long time cancer

Goldenrodfarm

Goldenrodfarm

Roof of stump fairy house

I decided on a roof line I liked for the stump and got started trying to cobble something together.  It has been hit or miss all week.  For some reason I ended up doing the peaked part first, bad move.  I made a bunch of tiny roof support pieces of wood on the table saw 1/2" x 1/4" and about 18" long, I figured I could cut all the pieces I wanted from them, however I may have to make more.  The first attempt was just a tryout to figure out the size, it was a real disaster, I don't know wh

Goldenrodfarm

Goldenrodfarm

Stump fairy house, sanding the inside

While drilling and chiseling the inside I did break the back door off in half accidentally, but I think it will be a good thing because I wouldn't have been able to clean it out much less sand if smooth. I used the dremel carving tool to get it mostly cleaned out and the next step will be sanding using both dremel sanding drums and the 2" sanding circles that also attach to the dremel.  The inside of the main trunk was a trial and error process.  I started using a burr rasp that attaches

Goldenrodfarm

Goldenrodfarm

Stump fairy house progress

I spent several weeks attacking the inside alternately with a drill with a 5/8" spade bit and a chisel and hammer, I ended up with a giant planting pot full of chips and a a very rough interior. I got the bottom leveled up, the final leveling will have to be done after all the center is cleaned out.  I went down back to find a shelf fungus to use as a balcony, with the dremel I did some fitting.    

Goldenrodfarm

Goldenrodfarm

Stump fairy house progress

After doing some leveling I started by using the hole saw to cut the back door, then drills and chiseled to clear as much as I could.  There was still a lot of wood in the center as you can see by the second photo.  The third photo is looking in the side hole, that will need a lot of cleaning out too.  

Goldenrodfarm

Goldenrodfarm

Stump fairy house 2017

I am a collector, let's face it, but when you collect tree stumps for future use you need a big storage place lol.  This tree stump was collected many years ago, I was trying to place it, I have been here on the farm about 25 years.  You tend to place things in time by major events in your life, sadly one of mine is the death of my husband 14 years ago, that day still seems like yesterday to me, I will never forget every event in that jumbled day, but dislike it being one of my major even

Goldenrodfarm

Goldenrodfarm