All Activity

This stream auto-updates   

1. Past Hour
  2. Hurstwood Cottage Kitbash

I don't want to stain the wood - I think it looks fine as it is. So I'm not sure what product to use to seal it so it's Matt and doesn't change colour..
  3. Ebay, Etsy & Craig's List Links

Looking at the photos of the interior, it's probably just as well we don't know...
  4. Today
  5. Ebay, Etsy & Craig's List Links

Interesting idea from the Westville. Makes me wonder what happened to the rest of the house. https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F143362212462
  6. Ebay, Etsy & Craig's List Links

The bones are plain, but with some siding, landscaping, tasteful interior decorating, and the right scale of furnishings, it could be a little charmer.
  7. Ebay, Etsy & Craig's List Links

Maybe it’s the picture but I am ‘meh’ about it.
  8. Ebay, Etsy & Craig's List Links

Yes will be interested to see also what it sells for!
  9. Ebay, Etsy & Craig's List Links

Yes me too!
  10. Dollhouse Identification

Now that I've seen there's more than one of those dollhouses, I'm sure it's made by a company. I don't think it's Walmer, though. The tops of the windows look like a Crafco house, but as far as I know, that company only made two variations of a house (Cape Cod and Southern Mansion type)  and those were made out of 1/8" plywood. Unfortunately, all my catalogs are put away and I won't be unpacking them anytime soon (there's another full treatment coming up again next Tuesday). Kells is right, though, if it has silk screened windows, it's not homemade. What I know about dollhouses is what I've seen in person and in my catalogs. It's perfectly possible that many companies may have made dollhouses specifically for a toy store or children and never listed it in the Miniatures Catalogs because they were considered children's toys, not collectibles. There's a lot I may have missed. There's a couple of these kinds of dollhouses where we see different ones all over and none of them seem to have a manufacturer. I'll keep my eye peeled, though.Those two side windows are very distinctive.
  11. Yesterday
  12. Dollhouse Identification

I need to see the inside to be able to tell if it’s a Walmer. The window trim screams Walmer to me. The shutters are definitely Walmer, see attached photo with those shutters. Can you please post a photo of the interior? http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/?app=forums&module=forums&controller=topic&id=39980
  13. San Franciscan 550 -- Here I Go

Hi John--yes, I do plan to start an album. Right now I have the wall panels and the foundation glued together, nothing too spectacular.  One thing I noticed when "building" the wall panels, which was a reminder from waaaaay back when I started the Heritage: it is really, really, surprisingly easy to turn one of those panels upside down as you're gluing them together. I nearly did it once about halfway through and I started triple checking. To make the panels straight as I glued, I lined them up against/within a T-square. And re-lined them up over and over again. I held them together with my hands for 30-60 seconds as I added each one, then, when a panel was finished, I used masking tape, hooking one end to the bottom of the panel and drawing the line of tape up over the top of the panel, keeping it tight to hold the pieces together. Then I sandwiched them between pieces of wax paper and put books on top to keep the tight taping from "curling" the panels. I let those dry anywhere from 1-3 hours, then stood them up against a wall as directed to let them finish drying for 24 hours.  Next is a lot of painting and sanding and painting. I'm going to paint the wall panels purple on the outside and white or cream on the inside (to prep for the 4yo's decorating plans), paint the base--I'm not sure what color but I'm thinking of putting some kind of stickers or decals around it instead of the lattice--flowers or fairy wands or butterflies or something my niece will like. I also need to paint the window pieces and the channels for the wall panels before I assemble. So there's my next few (dozen??) days off sorted. *g*
  14. Dollhouse Identification

Silkscreen printed windows are a pretty good clue that a house wasn't homemade. As for who did make it, yours appears to be of good quality wood so that rules out a host of low-quality manufacturers, none of whom will I name on this forum. I don't know who made it but Walmer is the only dollhouse manufacturer I've seen who uses that diamond window. That said, I've seen plenty of Walmer houses but never your house specifically identified as one of theirs. Here is the Ebay link for the one I posted above. I see that I forgot to include it. Unfortunately, the seller does not name the manufacturer. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Childrens-Handmade-Wooden-Dollhouse-in-Great-Condition/401666919063?hash=item5d8536ca97:g:nskAAOSwPGtcHUp7 Interestingly, I recently came across another one, this time without dormers. This seller also does not say who made it. I see this house every so often on Craigslist, Ebay, and etc. If I ever see a listing that identifies the manufacturer, I will be sure to let you know. https://offerup.com/item/detail/601170658/ EDIT: Just looked for "Walmer" on Ebay. Here is one identified as a Walmer house that has that diamond-shaped window. The mullions are also silkscreened on this one and the shutters are somewhat similar with a planked look. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Walmer-Dollhouse-Wood-Fully-Assembled-Alexandria-VA-1-12-Scale-P-U-Only/133058207918
  15. Probably not what you want to hear, but I would carefully repackage the kit and donate it to a thrift store. 
  16. Real bricks

On one of our trips out to Fort Morgan I measured the bricks used in its construction and when I reduced those dimensions by 12 they measured roughly one pica by three picas (I have a printer's ruler).  I use sandpaper to make my bricks (from Beryl Armstrong's book How To Make Your Dolls; House Special) and paint the surface I'll use them on a grout color.  Here is how I did the bricks for the pub:  http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/?app=blog&module=blogs&controller=entry&id=248
  17. Needlepoint -- hints and helps welcome!

The tedious way would be to invest in some graph paper and copy the design onto that with colored pencils, then turn the canvas over and stitch the blank side using your graph.
  18. I recently opened a needlepoint kit that I have had for a while, the kind with the printed canvas. The design is not printed squarely with the canvas grain. It is 3 to 4 rows off. It is a fairly large project that I don’t want to spend oodles of hours on only to find out it will never look right.  Any advice would be welcomed. thank you, Debbie
  19. Mail wagon

I love this wagon and it’s color. I can’t wait to see how yours turns out.  
  20. Galloway House - great mini inspiration

That is a beauty. Re: inspiration, there are at least ten houses in Galena, IL that I wish I could recreate in miniature!
  21. Ebay, Etsy & Craig's List Links

Victorian Times "Bee Tree House" for $70 in Ventura, CA. Seller does not list it as such. Part of me wants to tell him/her what they've got but that usually goes badly so they're on their own, lol. https://ventura.craigslist.org/tag/d/ventura-doll-house/6956196265.html Identifiable thanks to 1martinimomma posting the Victorian Times catalog. Thank you!
  22. Ebay, Etsy & Craig's List Links

I posted about that one here. It will be interesting to see if it sells and for what price. It certainly is beautifully finished! I hope someone posts if/when it does. I don't dare save that on Ebay. Even at that price, that would be just way too much temptation staring me in the face every time I look at My Ebay, haha.
  23. Real bricks

I'm going to try the paper clay for stonework. I use builders foam for my bricks. Still experimenting with my technique, but I posted a couple of pictures here last night of brick I'm working on for a wall fireplace. 
  24. Real bricks

I have been using paper clay to make my bricks.I bought the pasta cutter that someone here (I don't remember who it was, sorry) recommended and it has helped but my bricks still don't match my "vision" so I'll keep practicing making them. 
  25. Testing a potential floor register ...

I think it's a great detail.  
  26. First Carpet on Display in the Shop!

Stunning!    I love the idea of hanging rugs as display pieces instead of just on the floor.
  27. Arts & Crafts Wall-Hanging

Hooray!  So fun to see this made up. Beautiful work.
  28. From the album Misc minis

This beauty in the main attraction at the Galloway House and Village in Fond du Lac, Wisconsin. There are a lot of surrounding buildings you can tour (self-guided). What was interesting to me were the antique items intended for actual handling by guests, something that is rather rare. I highly recommend a visit if you like history and antiques even in the slightest.

© brae oktober

29. Load more activity