All Activity

This stream auto-updates   

1. Past Hour
  2. Galloway House - great mini inspiration

That is a beauty. Re: inspiration, there are at least ten houses in Galena, IL that I wish I could recreate in miniature!
  3. Ebay, Etsy & Craig's List Links

Victorian Times "Bee Tree House" for $70 in Ventura, CA. Seller does not list it as such. Part of me wants to tell him/her what they've got but that usually goes badly so they're on their own, lol. https://ventura.craigslist.org/tag/d/ventura-doll-house/6956196265.html Identifiable thanks to 1martinimomma posting the Victorian Times catalog. Thank you!
  4. Today
  5. Ebay, Etsy & Craig's List Links

I posted about that one here. It will be interesting to see if it sells and for what price. It certainly is beautifully finished! I hope someone posts if/when it does. I don't dare save that on Ebay. Even at that price, that would be just way too much temptation staring me in the face every time I look at My Ebay, haha.
  6. Real bricks

I'm going to try the paper clay for stonework. I use builders foam for my bricks. Still experimenting with my technique, but I posted a couple of pictures here last night of brick I'm working on for a wall fireplace. 
  7. Real bricks

I have been using paper clay to make my bricks.I bought the pasta cutter that someone here (I don't remember who it was, sorry) recommended and it has helped but my bricks still don't match my "vision" so I'll keep practicing making them. 
  8. Testing a potential floor register ...

I think it's a great detail.  
  9. First Carpet on Display in the Shop!

Stunning!    I love the idea of hanging rugs as display pieces instead of just on the floor.
  10. Arts & Crafts Wall-Hanging

Hooray!  So fun to see this made up. Beautiful work.
  11. From the album Misc minis

This beauty in the main attraction at the Galloway House and Village in Fond du Lac, Wisconsin. There are a lot of surrounding buildings you can tour (self-guided). What was interesting to me were the antique items intended for actual handling by guests, something that is rather rare. I highly recommend a visit if you like history and antiques even in the slightest.

© brae oktober

12. Mail wagon

From the album Creatin' Contest 2019

Saw another vintage mail wagon, though this one was in actual "antique" shape.  This was at the Galloway House and Village in Fond du Lac, Wisconsin. There are a lot of surrounding buildings you can tour (self-guided). What was interesting to me were the antique items intended for actual handling by guests, something that is rather rare. I highly recommend a visit if you like history and antiques even in the slightest.

© brae oktober

13. Mail wagon interior

From the album Creatin' Contest 2019

Saw another vintage mail wagon, though this one was in actual "antique" shape.  This was at the Galloway House and Village in Fond du Lac, Wisconsin. There are a lot of surrounding buildings you can tour (self-guided). What was interesting to me were the antique items intended for actual handling by guests, something that is rather rare. I highly recommend a visit if you like history and antiques even in the slightest.

© brae oktober

14. Dry fit progress

Thank you!   
  15. Arts & Crafts Wall-Hanging

Thanks!  It was fun to stitch -- I really like Sue Bakker's designs.
  16. First Carpet on Display in the Shop!

Thank you!
  17. Real bricks

I agree! Those old brick buildings are beautiful. But I do find it enjoyable to try and come up with some as similar as possible. What do you use for your bricks? I'm always on the hunt for new ideas.    Kim   
  18. Real bricks

Just wait until you tour some of our old slave-built forts along the Gulf Coast and wee their brickwork.
  19. Hurstwood Cottage Kitbash

Stain will seal it, and you can always finish with a matte sealer.
  20. San Franciscan 550 -- Here I Go

I will be interested in seeing your progress,  since I am currently building a San Franciscan #555. This one is for my older sister and I have another one in the box for my 8-year-old granddaughter. So will you start an album so I can maybe "borrow" some ideas? I intend to start an album for mine soon. John
  21. Real bricks

On Monday, I attended a teachers' workshop that was held in a renovated, old brick mill building in Manchester, NH. When I was a child, we would drive by these old mills, some still in operation, on our way to the lakes region. They were somewhat dilapidated looking back then. I have been in these buildings on a couple of occasions, but I think the last time I was there was before I began my open love affair with dh's. I found myself staring at the marvelous brickwork on the walls. I thought about the numerous masons that built these old buildings, the fact that they are still standing, that they have been preserved and re-purposed, and the stories of the people that have been in these buildings. And I wished that my dh bricks could look half as good as these RL bricks. 
  22. Hurstwood Cottage Kitbash

Thank you! I had no idea there was a second floor :,-). Also, so glad to know another person loves 1:24!! And thanks everyone, for the nice comments. I've done a bit more work now, first I had to sand off the primer from the edges for everything to fit again >.<. ( Next time I'll definitely just put masking tape on all edges). It took so much effort and time. http://imgur.com/a/Bwi1uUz   And then I started on the exterior finishing, so I've started doing the panelling. I cut it all out of a sheet of .8 mm Balsasood (I also had Basswood but it felt a bit too soft). It also means the lines aren't super straight since I hand cut them. http://imgur.com/a/6BC2AzN Not sure if I should seal it, I'm thinking maybe PVA glue? Any ideas?   After I've done panelling I'm going to try and do the brickwork, either with the egg carton idea or with cork board - I'm just not sure if the corkboard texture will look to large for 1:24 scale.   Thanks for reading! I hope to reply more often.
  23. Ebay, Etsy & Craig's List Links

I love the bathroom.
  24. Brick walls from builder foam

This what I was thinking. I have another piece carved and prepped. I was going to try something different with it, but I think I'm going to try the grout first and see how that looks. 
  25. Brick walls from builder foam

I do have equal parts gray paint and glue along with the sand and I sprayed a sealer, so I was surprised when it rubbed off. It has been fun and experimenting is definitely in my future! Good thing this some fun stuff! 
  26. Brick walls from builder foam

The grout makes the wall marvelously realistic. I can see why you would want to use it. I hope you find a way to do the grout but not sacrifice the texture. Is it possible to use a hypodermic plunger (like used to give liquid medicine to animals and small children) to carefully (and sparingly) place a line of grout between the bricks, thus eliminating the need for rubbing? Or can you spray the painted surface with a couple of coats of a matte finish sealer to help glue the sand to the surface making it less likely to rub off when cleaning up the grout? Or what if you add some white glue to the gray paint used for the undercoat? That may adhere the sand more firmly than paint alone. I see some experimentation in your future.    
  27. Christmas doll

She’s lovely..... I love your Christmas scene....
  28. Load more activity