Ed_Cal

Gold Member
  • Last visited

Everything posted by Ed_Cal

1. I know that handle especially the plastic ones have issues. My current #6 is at least 50 years old and is better than the newer ones. It seems to be an issue with the quality of the collet nut. I got it as part of the tri fold tool cabinet xacto once made. I'm still looking for the original swedish pliers until then I am using a few from Western Optical an Optician's supply house
  2. It depends on the knife you choose....#5 handle (red bakelite) an old one with a #2 pointed blade or a #2 handle and the large pointy blade used like a scalpel to do surgery on the parts. I wish X-Acto still made the #13 micro saw blade would be perfect for this cut through the web to start use the micro saw to work around all of the straight cuts
  3. Melissa that is a wonderful bargain you found have fun with it. I have extra buildings to do an improved village using index card strips to make clapboards possibly basswood strips to make new trim instead of the white cardstock, stucco using craft paint and either white sand or no slip paint additive. I am looking at stretching the single village store into a block of 3-4 with copper seamed roofing instead of shingles on the Mansard roof, extend the Village depot into a more formidible station with a baggage room and build a water tower out of a Planters peanut can and square sticks for the framing and legs Mine are probably located way back in the photo gallery
  4. My gut feeling is to use an X-Acto knife to finish slicing through the last little bit of the plywood and the uncut portions that hold the pieces to the sheets. A utility knife may do the job but the x-acto has a little better control.
  5. The model Railroad section indeed has "house lights" the bulb is a miniature screw base bulb about the size of a pea. Usually they come with 12v bulbs feed them 8-10v they will last near forever and not overheat the houses. That is what I did with mine. Ed
  6. Suggestion....The fine sand used to do sand painting use white mixed with craft store acrylic paint should have the right "stucco" look
  7. I have had that music box church for over 50 years...it plays "Silent Night" The little lithographed Lionel House might make a cure addition to the village as well. I am also looking at designing a covered bridge similar to the Plasticville Covered bridge in wood. It might be fun to build it with all of the internal framing that a full scale bridge would have.
  8. Ed_Cal

Trains3.jpg

I could see the village station enlarged with a baggage room at one end. For the railroad station cluster I could see a water tank based on a "Nut Can" think Planters with scribed basswood for the siding the hoops or bands keeping this tank together is a challenge....brass wire tensioned around the tank then solderedand painted black with rust stains and a 12 section roof
  9. Ed_Cal

Store_Library.jpg

I could see another Library decorated as a city hall or Masonic Temple. I could see the village store made into a row of stores either 3 or 4 stores in one piece. Imelda's Shoe Store, Hardware Store Delicatessen and some upstairs businesses "Dewey, Cheatum & Howe" accountants and others
  10. Ed_Cal

TackyChristmas.jpg

The tacky Christmas house (not as bad as the Griswold's) has LeMax light strings, light up santa and light up shrubs.
  11. Ed_Cal

UpperLevel.jpg

The locomotive is a pre-WWII Lionel 225e it is pulling a series of 2650 series freight cars 2654 Boxcar, 2655 Shell Tank Car and 2652 Yellow Gondola. The blue and white house is a Lionel 189
  12. 1:12 scale trains are 1" scale live steam....Think "Little Engines " they make the castings and parts to build your own but it will burn coal, kerosene or propane. It is a hobby for machinists and others with access to serious machine tools.
  13. Pictures are now posted of Peachies barn in the member galleries. I cut the shell from Baltic Birch plywood 1/8 thick. She added skinny sticks as vertical board siding. The interior was stained with very stroing instant coffee to add some color to the very pale birch plywood. Ed
  14. Ed_Cal

Barn 4

From the album: Barn for Village

15. Ed_Cal

Barn for Village

Pictures of the barn designed by Ed_Cal and built by Peachie
  16. Ed_Cal

Barn 2

From the album: Barn for Village

17. Pictures of the barn are posted in my photos in the member galleries....under peachie's barn Ed
  18. I have an idea for the silo....saved an empty breadcrumb container....looks about the right size needs a wrapper of scribed basswood and a fancy cap on it possibly 8 sided with a double pitch to match the roof....and a cupola or two on the main roof will add the extra charm it may need Ed
  19. Dont be afraid to solder together a regulator circuit of your own. I know it should have only a few components and would keep the voltage constant. A lightly loaded transformer is probably putting out far more than the rated 12v needed. more like 15-16v Ed
  20. I have a feeling Peachie's version of the barn will be an absolute knockout in terms of built in extras. I only supplied the outer shell to this point. Looks like I need to cut a floor and two partial hayloft floors Ed
  21. Don't the women he dates read newspapers and watch the news on TV? He has a history of wives turning up dead. I am surprized this pariah can even get a first date with a woman much less get engaged to one Ed
  22. I bought some tiny brass channel...that will be tried for top and bottom tracks for the doors. As an alternate, I have an idea for putting wheels on the top of the dor to hook into the track Ed
  23. Assuming that all goes according to plan, we have set December 12, 2009 as a tentative date. Many thanks to all of our mini loving friends for your kind wishes concerning our future together Ed