Lisa R.

Gold Member
  • Last visited

Everything posted by Lisa R.

1. I bought a house some time ago (years ago) - a salvage - the person really needed to get rid of it. The problem is I don't like it. It is built from chipboard and is very fragile and damaged. I have tried to strengthen and repair it but I can't get enthusiastic. It has some redeeming qualities though. The maker's name is on the bottom. When I pulled up the carpet samples (not dollhouse scale) the "children" (not sure who) had labelled the rooms with a sharpie. Sigh! It looks great when you photograph it but it really isn't. It is so sad. I feel sorry for the house but it is holding me back. I don't want to dump it as chipboard in the landfill is not good but I'm not sure I can give it to say a thrift store - It is big! Advice please! Lisa R.
  2. Oh great stuff- congrats! Lisa R.
  3. The big problem is when the doll comes first - oh boy is it difficult to satisfy them - they have an opinion at every step of the build. Lisa R.
  4. What an interesting thread - so much useful advice - maybe a tutorial in the works?
  5. From Beverly's - with their Fall 50% off coupon just $2.49!
  6. Trish - My husband was able to view this automata in the home of its designer (it was designed in the program Mathematica) - it is amazing. It writes poetry (I have an example) in Pushkin's own handwriting style http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivIHcHwR6b0. There are other YouTube videos that show the work of the studio that actually did the implementation - more amazing work!
  7. Just thought you might like to see some photographs of the (annual) exhibition I curate at the San Lorenzo Valley Museum. This year it was focussed on building things and there is a large area where folks - primarily young folks - can build and then display (with their hand written exhibit label) - what they have built. Enjoy! http://www.flickr.com/photos/12208289@N08/sets/72157635724548705/ Lisa R.
  8. Gosh I can't remember whence I was last here - haven't had a chance to work on my projects for so long. Unfortunately, and I don't know why, the wallpaper on the Gothic house I was working on had developed a crusty coat and bubbles. I did prime the walls and seal the wallpaper. So spent today ripping it off it was a Brodnax paper - nice but oh well). It came off easily but I had finished the surround with overlapping wood - so not sure what I will do now. My daughter's dollhouse (she hasn't had a chance to work on it in several years) is even worse - she has many rooms to re-do - same problem. My surfaces were beech plywood - her's were MDF. Same primer, same sealer and same wallpaper glue. Lisa R.
  9. I wrote this some time ago as the background text for a miniatures exhibit - an abbreviated version was used for the text panels. Please feel free to use the content for non-commercial uses. http://www.lulu.com/shop/lisa-robinson/a-brief-history-of-modern-miniatures/ebook/product-20132678.html Lisa R/
  10. Hi Jo We went on Sunday. Love your Sir Steampunk. He'd look great in my Gothic Revival house, in the library with the chemistry set, fossils, etc! Lisa R.
  11. There were many wonderful minis at the show last weekend. Here are a some of my purchases. I bought my first ever original painting. A peacock and other farmyard birds scene painted in gouche on board by Chris Sparrow: http://www.mikesparrowsilver.co.uk/images/chrissparrow/docu0113_sm.jpg A cook by Marie Wood: http://www.marymyrtleminiaturedolls.co.uk/101_9163.jpg A male servant by Ann Lucas, a sundial by Sue Cook (unfinished): http://www.suecookminiatures.com/images/product_images/SD1.jpg two books by Dateman books and a welsh settle by Michael Mortimer, four chimney pots, a fireback, insurance plaque (1710), a pair of bellows and a Meccano set (pictures of which I which I will post later). We spent three hours there and could have spent much much longer (but we had to leave). DH bought some screwdrivers, DD bought a jar of picked onions, a horse shoe, some dishes and a Marilla (Heidi Ott doll) for her Green Gales doll house, and Mom found a vintage kitchen set for her 1950s house, a teddy and a couple of other small things. Lisa R.
  12. Well all turned out okay. When my mom called the restaurant that the family was supposed to be meeting up at for lunch on Sunday to confirm, they couldn't take us because of a mix up. So we went first thing Sunday morning and did family tea for Mothering Sunday at her house which was great. Miniatura was wonderful and we found some great buys - I'll post pictures soon. we spent 3 hours there and could have stayed much longer! Lisa R.
  13. Arranged to visit my parents in the UK over this and next week so that I could take my Mom to Miniatura, (my sister had been a couple of years ago and raved about it). But just found out that Saturday is tickets are limited (had no idea) and unavailble and we can't go Sunday as it is Mothers Day and she has arranged for the rest of the family to visit her. I am so disappointed not just for me but for her - just had no idea that there would be a limited number of tickets - (kinda thought it would be limited on the Friday evening before the event) - it is such a huge venue! LIsa R.
  14. You find miniatures in the most unusual places! Check out these two miniature computers on display in the front lobby at the Computer History Museum in Mountain View California. The exhibit label reads: IBM nad Cray Salesman Models When selling large, expensive computer systems, many manufacturers created salesman models to help customers visulise what they are buying and to assist in planning and where and how to install these complex room-sized computer systems. The models shown here are an IBM System/360 mainframe computer system (1964) and a Cray X?M-P supercomputer (1982). Lisa R.
  15. I love the Newberg. Can't wait to see what you do. Lisa R.
  16. I have quite a few pieces of early John Baker furinture and the finish is wonderful. When I first bought a Town Squares piece from HBS I was so disapointed (the only piece I have ever sent back). The finish was so different - so shiny. I have bought a piece since and was better pleased with the finish. Also the size of the furniture is smaller than his earlier pieces. I'd say make sure you buy when there is a good (say 20%) discount. Hope this helps. Lisa R.
  17. Thank you. The elf should arrive shortly and the reindeer were from Michaels a few years ago - I did touch them up a little as I recall. Lisa R.
  18. Jason cannot make a copy of himself.

© Lisa Robinson (c) 2012