bmatson

Gold Member
  • Last visited

Everything posted by bmatson

1. I LOVE organizing stuff. So organizing all my mini things and tools was right up my alley. I have a drawer each of: paint/sealers, tape/adhesives, sand paper/blocks, clamps, paintbrushes, and one for the misc stuff I use frequently (q-tips, microfiber cloth for sand dust, exacto knife, etc). For my mini furniture, I have them all organized by room and each room has it's own plastic tub. It saves a lot of time knowing where everything is when I need it, rather than spenidng time hunting for it
  2. Truth be told....dolls freak me out. Just being in their presence (mini or otherwise) does not do me well. I have always been that way, even when I was a kid. So I find it quite ironic that I am working on a DOLLhouse (which is coming along quite splendidly by the way). Surely I am not the only person who feels this way. Is there anyone else on this forum who feels the same way? Or do normal fellow doll haters just avoid the hobby completely, so as not to be bombarded with dollness? :kicking: I guess mine will be a doll-less-house.
  3. Well heck I was gonna, but then Jeff posted about Handley House having different colors, which HBS doesn't offer (at least not that I saw..I could be wrong about that). Thanks guys!! :lol:
  4. Fabulous idea :lol: With our new spam blocker that DH had to have, it blocks dang near everything, and even he doesnt know how to change it. LOL!!!
  5. I didn't know if they advertised their sales on their site. But I do now. Thanks Holly :lol:
  6. I am making slow but sure progress on my Foxhall (yay!). I picked out my exterior paint colors yesterday, which are tan/brown colors. I have my heart set on the gray asphalt roof from HBS, but from the picture it looks way dark, and I'm afraid it just will not go with my paint scheme. Does anyone know if it would be plausible to paint the roof? I'm thinking if so, spray paint would probably be best. Or should I just leave well enough alone and keep the gray color?
  7. Okay, I know about the yearly April Fool's 40% off sale (working ceiling fan anyone??). I have a lot of other items I want to buy in one large order. I know they do random sales during the year of 20% off, which I want to take advantage of to get more bang for my buck (since I don't have many bucks!). Hubby's new email spam blocker blocks the emails I used to get from them announcing their sales.....which never bothered me before. But now that I want to order, it does :lol: Any ideas when the next sale is??
  8. Will do. I'll post pics when I get it done :lol:
  9. Mike, I also tried to search for this subject and as you mentioned, but I got nowhere cause the word "tv" doesnt have the 4 letter minimum search criteria. Also searching for "television" didn't really work either. Holly, I wasnt planning on having a tv console. I'm saving my big entertainment center idea for the Living Room. My vision for the BR is to have a tv attached to the wall by itself over a fireplace. I saw a picture of a RL house like that and just fell in love with the look. I think the false wall idea would work for what I want. Amy, drilling holes in places not only is not my cup o' tea, but my Foxhall has the siding already milled onto it. My BR is on the 2nd floor. I've been racking my brain trying to figure out the logistics of where the wires could physically go, since they're almost as big as the tv itself!! It would be perfect if it was on the 1st floor so I can put it under the foundation as you mentioned :lol:
  10. Okay so I splurged and bought a working tv for my bedroom!! I am soooo excited to see how that will turn out. But I am just wondering.....how do I hide the wires? The wires are the same red, white and yellow plugs that you have on your RL tv, and they are RL scale also. Any ideas?
  11. Thanks for the heads up. I have been doing a lot of shopping at HL for crafty dollhouse stuff. So this is right up my alley :lol:
  12. I love Mod Podge. I use it to protect everything I paint. It's great stuff.
  13. Thanks for all the comments ideas everyone! I knew y'all wouldn't let me down I look forward to seeing all of your pics as well. I think I'm gonna go with the hard acrylic sheet idea. That would be PERFECT....not too thick, yet not flexible so after I glue the heck out of it, no more curling issues. AND after I told hubby my plans, he said he even already has some. Brilliant! Now if he could only find it........
  14. I live in Shreveport, LA, which is the northwest part of the state. The only clubs listed were in New Orleans, which is about 5 hours away None close in TX or AR either.
  15. I should mention that I want the flooring to be removable since I will be wiring my house (yay!). So the obvious fix to the problem (gluing the heck out of it to the floor) won't work
  16. It has been a LONG time since I was last on this forum. Like, at least 3 years ago! But I am glad to be back now, and look forward to getting reaquainted with and/or getting to know all of you My current labor of love is the beautiful Foxhall Manor. Omg I am in love with this house! I mean, what's NOT to love about it? I should stop here because me going on about my great love for the house is not the point of this post. What the point IS, is to post current pics of my progress, as well as share some problems I have encountered that y'all who are infinitely more talented and creative than I might be able to help with This pic is the general layout of the rooms. Here is the Laundry Room. It is the far upper left room as you look at the house from the back. For the wallpaper, I simply took some white cardstock and stuck some mini soap bubbles to it. I thought it was appropriate What you see is pretty much how the room will be, with the exception of the floor, but I will address that later in this post. 3rd pic is of the Music Room which takes up the rest of the 3rd floor space next to the Laundry Room. It's not much of a pic, I know. But for now that's all there is of the room. I am working on the wallpaper, which will consist of tiny music notes on the walls. This house is made to have 3 rooms on the 3rd floor, but I chose to have one regular size room and one bigger room because I have some big (and exciting!) items I will be putting in the MR and would need the extra space. Plus, I like customizing things to my specific needs Here is my problem with the flooring...I have a large wood floor covering that I made as one big piece for both rooms. I have a few coats of varnish on it to protect it and make it look nice and shiny. Anyhoo. My problem is that the wood has curled up on the edges quite a bit, and I cant get it flat again. I have tried laying heavy books on it for long periods of time, as well as ironing (the back side, of course). Nothing has helped. Has anyone experienced this, or know what I did wrong to begin with, and how to fix it? I can't put any of my furniture and/or instruments on the floor because the curling is so bad. Obviously this is not desirable. Please help!!! I have included before and after pics of each room. Keep in mind that these rooms are next to each other and the floor is one big piece. Last pic is of the Bedroom, which is located directly underneath the Laundry Room. The theme of the room is purple, as you might be able to tell. Guess what my favorite color is???? The carpet is some purple fuzzy material I found at a fabric store. The wallpaper consists of lavender cardstock with flower jewels glued on (purple, of course). This house is designed to have all rooms on the 1st and 2nd levels (excluding the Foyer) have horizontal room dividers, so you are looking at different rooms from the front than you are from the back. You will notice that I have omitted that divider for this room, as I will for the other 3 main rooms in the house. As with the Music Room, I need a lot of room for my ideas and have chosen to have 7 total large rooms rather than 11 smaller rooms (plus the Foyer) to achieve my vision for this house. I can't wait!!! Well that's it for now. I have great plans for my Foxhall, and I can't wait to share the progress with y'all. I welcome any feedback, as I need all the help I can get Happy mini-ing!!!
  17. I am VERY much anticipating the 40% off sale!! I just got done building my Foxhall Manor (complete with the 2 side additions). She is gorgeous. I know she will keep getting better as i add flooring, furniture, etc. So this sale is coming not any too soon. Only problem is I cannot seem to get my hands on the coupon code. I called and emailed them for a catalog. After weeks of waiting for it after the email, I did not get one. I called them to see what the problem was, and they did not know. They never had my information in their system. So I give them my info over the phone----I want that coupon code!! Still no catalog in the mail, and April 1st is almost here. Believe me, I have a lot I want and I don't want to miss out on such a great deal. It seems like they don't care if I am their customer or not, and lets just say I have not been impressed with their customer service......but that doesn't change the fact that I want to get 40% off my rather large order!!! Is there anyone who can help!!!
  18. oh Corey how horrible. That is on my top ten list of things never to experience in this world. What a mess! At least you got your Ebay account taken care of, and count your blessings Paypal was never touched. So it could have been a lot worse. But what would worry me is knowing what information of mine they have still. It is so easy these days to steal people's identities. So good luck with that. Keep us updated on how things go.
  19. Absolutely!! I'd be the first in line!!!!
  20. bmatson

A New Dog!!

Well I sure have enjoyed hearing about your pet stories and seeing your photos. And no, I do not have a photo of Zendo. I have not seen him since my last post a few days ago. And when he was here earlier, well, not only did my camera conveniently not have any batteries (DH??), but I jsut had way too much going on to snap a picture of him. I only remembered to do it after he was gone!! Oh well. Maybe one day I'll see him again and I'll snap a picture of him. Just for you!!!
  21. Okay. So I finally got around to doing my houseboat. I've got the pontoons done. Now I am working on the main deck. I have been using popsicle sticks as wood planks for the floor. The only problem is, I've got about 5 rows of popsicle sticks, and that took me about 2 hours--and I still have, oh, about 100 more rows to do!!! So needless to say, that will take me forever. So I am wondering if there are any wooden sheets that I could put down instead. I have looked at hardwood sheets, but I don't see the wide ones that I need for the boat--just the skinny ones that you would use inside a house. Or maybe I could use the skinnier ones.....??? Hmm. Any ideas??? I would sure appreciate the help!!! Thanks.
  22. bmatson

A New Dog!!

Okay. Well since my last post, how many times do you think I have seen Zendo?? Anyone??? Not once, not twice, but three times!!!! He scared the daylights out of us last night. We were watching a movie at night. All of a sudden, my two dogs just start barking their heads off. I was sure someone was in the house, because of all the ruckus they were making. As it turns out, it was NOT, in fact, a murder who walked into my house. It was none other than Zendo. Apparantly DH had left the back gate AND our back door open. So he took it upon himself to just walk in. Once again, I was just glad it was the dog than some ax murderer. So I call his owner (again) and she says she can't help cause she's out of town all weekend. So we've kept him until this morning, when Jess had finally had enough and we went to his house to put him in the backyard. I didn't think it would work, since no one was home and he obviously found a way out. Sure enough, 10 minutes after we left, the dog was back on our porch again. Yikes. I am convinced now that the dog does not like being where he is. But I don't know what to do since the owner shows no intention of giving him up. Even if she did, Jess has made it absolutely clear that two dogs are enough. Plus, the dog is not being abused or anything. Hmm. Anyway. Just thought I'd vent and share my frustration. Maybe someone is reading this and is not bored with the whole thing yet!!
  23. Wow Holly. Is there anything you CAN'T do????
  24. Thanks for the tip. I also recently bought the clear tub and the toilet. I am a beginner (Beacon Hill is my first). But I do have to admit that lately my BH has taken a back seat to real life and also my houseboat!! But it is nice to know potential problems for these pieces. Thanks!!