Erick

Silver Member
  • Last visited

Everything posted by Erick

1. yea, same white vinegar I use for everything else.
  2. Thank you, it took me more cutting of sticks than I wanted but its done now. For the moment things are on hold for the holidays, I just don't have time to sit down and work. I really want to get the rest of the floors down as soon as I can.
  3. yeah, you and me both :lol:
  4. Erick

stairs stained

From the album: First project

Now that they have their first coat of stain I'll go back and get the bits I missed then do the clear coat/sand thing till they look nice. I still need to paint, do trim, and make a door for the front and some sort of banister but it's coming along rather nice.
  5. Erick

First project

A Van Buren kit I got from a friend.
  6. The stuff I'm using to age the wood is Steel wool and Vinegar left overnight aka 'bug juice'. I discovered the hard way not to keep it in a tightly corked bottle too :thumb: I should have some more pictures of the stairs tonight too.
  7. Erick

inside looking out

The large hole near the bottom will be a short under-stair access door, the rest of the planks facing the camera will be plastered, sanded, and papered over in the end. Currently the entire stair assembly is removable from the house in one piece. hm, this angle shows a few things I need to straighten up.
  8. Erick

stair progress

The fit and finish need some work but the steps are level and parallel so I'm willing to give a bit on the detail of the planks, they'll be covered by paper on the outside eventually anyhow.
  9. New stairs are on the chopping block now, so to speak. I've got some pictures of the stairs I'm more or less scratch building in the gallery now.
  10. Erick

stairs currently

ran out of 1/4" beams so I'm stopping for tonight.
  11. Erick

stair mock up

I wasn't a big fan of the stairs that came with the kit and before I go buy a replacement I want to try and make my own. Here's a mock up of shape I want.
  12. Erick

installed

The ceiling is now installed and I can begin putting up that one row of planks over the tape wire. There is also a channel in the floor where the planks are missing it's just not visible in this picture.
  13. Erick

Ceiling

All that's left of the attic wood is this ceiling. The copper tape goes under the wood and the light wires go through tiny holes drilled through the pieces. I'm happy with how they're coming out.
  14. The only part I didn't like about the kit as delivered were the stairs, they just look too big for the house. I am done with the attic walls and only have the ceiling left to do tomorrow.
  15. heh, the attic is killing me. I am so tired of cutting craftsticks down. I am working on my 2nd box of 1000 right now. I have so little left to do too.
  16. Erick

Floor stained.

Stained the kitchen floor. I may do something about the paper showing through but other than photography it doesn't appear much at all. It's getting a clear coat right now and tomorrow some light sanding and more clear. If it looks good I'm going to do all the floors this way.
  17. Erick

attic inside

I stuck the camera inside the room and took the picture to get this. I like this photo a lot because it looks just like I hoped the inside would turn out. I can't say thanks enough to the people on this forum who gave me tips on how to age the wood, it looks wonderful.
  18. Erick

nearly done

The attic is all assembled and only the left wall and ceiling remain. The jagged hole on the left is where the attic stairs will go when I get them and the one unfinished strip of flooring on the left is where the electrical will run.
  19. Erick

This old house.

Aged the wood in the attic, at least the wood that was done. Looks so nice I'm on a real mission to get it all done now.
  20. From the album: First project

Well the kitchen floor is all down, now it's sanding and staining time. .... looking at that picture I find I still don't like those windows, must do something about them.
  21. The transformer I bought is supposed to handle 33 lights and I've only got essentially 9 rooms with three of those being the attic so I doubt I'll even get close to 33. I guess as Judy said its a matter of how it is supposed to be played with. I'll need to think on that a bit, thanks for the suggestions.
  22. It turns out Vinegar and Steel Wool solution is harder to make than I realized, especially when you grab the bottle of distilled water under the sink rather than the bottle of vinegar
  23. I'm getting close to wiring the dollhouse and I was curious. Is it common to wire the whole building on one switch or is it more normal to put individual rooms on their own switches?
  24. Erick

floor test fit.

The kitchen floor during a test fit.