fairytoes

Silver Member
  • Last visited

Everything posted by fairytoes

1. I appreciate your pointers about the siding; that's about what I thought I would do with it. Somehow this house is telling me clapboard siding. I have read other people's posts about doing the build in 2 weeks, but somehow I have been slowed down by how to address the siding. It's funny how you get a feeling of a personality emerging as the build progresses.
  2. What kind of glue do you use? Do you put your door/windows in first? Also, how do you address the corners? I haven't put the exterior trim on yet, so it's not too late to change.
  3. I think I want to do clapboard siding on my Orchid and wondered if any of you have any good tips for adding this kind of siding? I've read to put it on cardboard first, finish and add it that way. Or, add it right to the exterior. Any help would be great! Sarah
  4. I'm making plans to go in our RV and stay in Hollister. Have you gone to any of their previous Shows? What's scheduled, so you know?
  5. I'm so glad you're posting your studio progress. It's giving me ideas....and HOPE for mine! ;) It's looking beautiful and inspiring. Thanks
  6. fairytoes

Back

You would love doing it; I did! U can do it if I could. Be sure an d let me see you pix! I can't wait to see them!
  7. Thanks, Selkie! That's a great idea. I'll give it a try.
  8. I have a question about windows and painting. In the instructions it says R&P the windows before applying the window acetate. But, I've read somewhere not to paint the surface with the acetate. Do y'all paint that surface as well? I have noticed that you can see the bare wood in some dollhouses when it's all done. What's your preferred way to do this?
  9. I'm just in awe at the detail and your craftsmanship to. You skills are awesome. I've gone over your pix many times and learn new stuff from them every time. Thanks for your sharing. Sarah
  10. fairytoes

Front

No, everything came in the kit The Primrose. It's a small little add on house that is really inexpensive. I think I paid about $15.00 on eBay. The PDF design is from a great gal at cinderellamoments.com. Her instructions were very clear and Caroline is always eager to help and very encouraging. I made allot of mistakes and my cuts were all wonky but I love it anyhow. The nice gals here warned me about not using hot glue to put my houses together because over time it won't hold and will fall apart. Caroline uses allot of hot glue for designs on the ceiling and such. But regular glue for the walls. I'm not going to use hot glue with my next build TheOrchid. I'm just getting into that one. I had a ball making this little house though.
  11. I can't believe this is your first build! Amazing! I'm doing my second build, also the Orchid. But viewing what you've been up to with yours has my head spinning! So many ideas! Thanks for sharing your progress. I am only to sanding and priming. It says in the instructions that you should prime and paint before putting it together. Does this sound right to you? I wanna jump into the good stuff so it's hard to wait.
  12. Thanks to all for your nice comments. It's so great to be around like-minded mini fans. I don't know any one where I live (besides my granddaughter)! Sarah
  13. I finally started my second build, the wonderful Orchid. This is a big deal because I made it a reward for cleaning and rearranging my workshop! All the sweeter. First of all, thank you, thank you, thank you, to Dean for the awesome pdf. I bought my kit from eBay and it didn't have any schematics. What a lifesaver! Your work is much appreciated. My question is about the windows. The are double hung, but do the windows actually work or are they glued in place? The directions and photo show putting them on the walls but don't say anything about gluing. Thanks, Sarah
  14. fairytoes

My First Dollhouse

I made this Primrose Cottage from a PDF from Cinderella Moments called A Shabby Chic Cottage, which you can purchase on Etsy. I gave it to the Cookeville Pregnancy Clinic to auction off as a fundraiser. I really had fun making it but it was a challenge. I didn't even know what bashing was! ;)
  15. From the album: My First Dollhouse

The house has a "tin ceiling" made of cardboard squares decorated with hot glue. My favorite chandelier hangs in the front window. This started out to be much smaller but I couldn't get the light to stay put so what's a girl to do? Add more hot glue! And more! And... it got to be such a big blob that I was going to scrap the whole thing but then I saw these pink rhinstones and...more hot glue. It looks like cinderella's carriage to me and it ended up being my favorite. It was sad giving it up but the money went to a great cause. I've just started my next house; a White Orchid! So I already have a question about that over in the "Orchid" section! Thanks for viewing my little cottage. Now, if I could only shrink myself down.

© fairytoes

16. fairytoes

Curtains

From the album: My First Dollhouse

Here's a closer shot of the curtains. I'd love to curl up in my favorite chair with a good book and watch the curtains move with the spring breeze. Heaven.

© fairytoes

17. From the album: My First Dollhouse

The fireplace was made out of dowels and hot glue and popsicle sticks. The little backing boards are cardboard and hot glue designs. I wanted it to look a little off-kilter like the owner just hurriedly put them in. I painted the little flowers on the painting (tongue depressor).

© fairytoes

18. From the album: My First Dollhouse

This was the second chandelier I made. The flames on the candles are hot glue drips. All went well with this until I had it all glued and hung in the house. One of the strands of beads broke and I had to repair it while it was hanging; no small feat!

© fairytoes

19. fairytoes

Birds Nest

Hidden behind these vines is the power switch for lighting the chandeliers. I made the birds nest out of corn silks from dinner and added the eggs!

© fairytoes

20. From the album: My First Dollhouse

My favorite part of the whole thing was the little screen door. I made the fretwork out of cardstock that I cut out on my Silhouette machine several times and glued them together. They're actually quite strong. I can hear the squeak and slam of that door all summer long as the kids go in and out!

© fairytoes

21. fairytoes

Main floor

The cottage has 3 electrified chandeliers that I made. The largest one has a little silver angel charm dangling at the bottom. The back chandelier turned out to be a "happy accident" and is my favorite one. The dotted swiss curtains had a rose valence which came from some trim at Hobby Lobby that has rows of these little swirled flowers. Popsicle stick flooring. Before I decided to give the house away I had dirtied up the floor to look worn but decided not to do it because maybe the new owner wouldn't "get it". I'll do that in my next build (the Orchid which I'm starting on now.)

© fairytoes

22. From the album: My First Dollhouse

I love the flowers in this box. Some of them were very popular when I was growing up.It took awhile to search them out, thanks to the internet. The decor on the outside of the flower box is just hot glue. I changed up the windows a bit. The outside walls were made of coffee stirrers and spackle. It amazed me what you could do with popcycle sticks and hot glue.

© fairytoes

23. fairytoes

Back

I just fell in love with this little cottage and had to have one for myself! It's a marvel of tons of hot glue and corrugated cardboard. Everything in it was handmade. I never got to decorate it because (for some crazy reason!?) I decided to donate it to the Cookeville Pregnancy Clinic for a fundraiser auction.

© fairytoes

24. fairytoes

Front

This is the front of my Shabby Chic Cottage. It's from a PDF by cinderellamoments.com which you can purchase through her Etsy shop. Caroline is so helpful and quick with answering my emergency emails. ;) It was so much fun to make, even though it was a challenge doing the "Bash". I didn't even know I was bashing! That's how new I was to minis.

© fairytoes