Tako

Gold Member
  • Content count

• Last visited

Everything posted by Tako

1. New Word Game 3/15/08

zebra
  2. What are you up to today? This week?

Thanks Kathie and Muriel for the congrats! Wasn't feeling great yesterday, so I took a day off to rest up and went out job hunting today. Tomorrow it is a day to finish a stuffed animal commission, then Thursday I will tidy up my room and my desk. Depending on how long that takes, I'll either tea stain my wallpaper for my Buttercup Thursday evening or Friday morning. After getting the wallpaper done and into the Buttercup so I can quit worrying about wrinkling it horribly, I'll have to get on to trying to use up the contents of my fabric and jewelry making drawers by making things to put up in my Etsy store. I got in to UGA (*happy dances!!!*), I need to sell off as much as possible so I don't have to move it all to Georgia!!!
  3. What are you up to today? This week?

Semester was over Thursday, graduation yesterday, and job hunting tomorrow! Don't know when in the world I'll be able to get back to working on my buttercup.
  4. New Word Game 3/15/08

usurper
  5. New Word Game 3/15/08

million
  6. Obsolete Skills

I can probably do waaaay more of these than the average 20 year old can. We were a really "low-tech" family until I was in high school. All my papers that were required to be typed, until then, were done on a type writer, I didn't have my first CD player until my 8th grade graduation, and the only cassette player in the house was my dad's boom box, etc. Actually, our first family computer was a hand me down junker from an old school that was entirely DOS run, most people my age never used a computer without a mouse, ever Reading this site reminds me a lot of how different, technologically speaking, my childhood was from that of most people my age!
  7. New Word Game 3/15/08

acclimate
  8. enviro friendly time

Also, a secondary note on compact fluorescents. Anyone with seizure or migraine issues of their own, or in family members, might want to be wary of where in the household they use them because, like strobe lights, they are an inconsistent light source that mess with visually triggered issues like those. I can't have them in the house in lights that I use all the time because of my migraines and often have to limit my evening time at the houses of friends who have switched entirely to fluorescents for this reason. I ride the public bus to my college campus from home I take my lunch and water to school every day in reusable containers, not a slew of prepackaged things and baggies That and the usual turning off of lights and electronics I don't need, unplugging the ones in stand by mode that I don't bother to keep set, limiting shower length when I can, etc. I recycle, and our community has separate green waste bins that get taken out every other week, so we try to keep a separate bin under the sink for green waste stuff that can be put in there. A lot of major cities have a slightly more expensive green energy option from major power companies too, you pay a tiny bit more for it, and the some of the extra money you pay goes in to expanding their green energy production, so if you can spare the money you should look in to it with you electric company! A ton of other great green ideas are available at http://www.thegreenguide.com/ !
  9. Jack and the Glass

I love his ear tufts :lol: So cute!
  10. 4/27/08 How do you dress your Dog???

I prefer smoked sausage dogs, polish dogs, or spicy hot links to your average hot dog for starters. As for what I put on it? Ketchup, yellow mustard, sweet relish, and shredded cheddar cheese! I've eaten them that way since I was really little!
  11. New Word Game 3/15/08

terramycin
  12. Can't leave my posts at 666

I'm not a super superstitious person, but there are some things I definitely believe in. I'm with Corwin! I don't care how perfect the house was, I'd probably not take it just because of the house number!
  13. Little House on the Prairie

Okay, I'm being bad and reading the board during class and I just about laughed out loud at the comments about Michael Landon's hair XD
  14. Little House on the Prairie

I have them all, but definitely don't want to give them away, they've been with me since my elderly next door neighbor came back from a trip along the "Wilder trail" with a (now very beat up and well loved) paperback copy of Little House on the Prairie for me the summer I turned 7, I've been reading them ever since! The reason, in my opinion, that the stories are so genuine and easy to read is that they are just the stories of her life. They are what she knows. Anyone who's every written knows it's alllllways easier to write with feeling what you know and what you've lived, or base stories in those truths, than to just make things up out of no where! I never really liked the show just because I'd rather sit and read the books again
  15. New Word Game 3/15/08

peddler
  16. cute pic of my 3yr old niece with her first fish

lucky (ADORABLE) little girl didn't have to touch her first, I had to KISS my first. Eeew!
  17. New Word Game 3/15/08

tragedienne
  18. New Word Game 3/15/08

requite
  19. New Word Game 3/15/08

onerous
  20. Bay window and cabinet

From the album Tako's Buttercup Build

I pin hinged the doors and used wooden beads with toothpicks to fill the holes as knobs.
  21. Added a Picture!

I undid all the taping on my bay window after I got home from classes today and took a picture. I'm going to need to touch things up a bit in places, but I don't think it looks, too bad, does it? I'm going to have to paint the interior of the cabinet at some point too, because it just looks bad for it to be unfinished in there, even if it is just where the occupant will probably keep her potatoes and turnips Anyway here's a picture! I figure that I probably ought to see if I can find a scrapbooking paper that I like well enough during the 6 for 96 cent scrapbook paper sale that JoAnn has going on right now. I've decided that half my problem was that none of the stuff that I like even a bit, is old enough looking for me, and then I realized that I can just tea stain it, duh! So, I'm hoping to be able to spend less than $6 for the majority of what I still need to finish the cottage.
  22. New Word Game 3/15/08

modernist
  23. I actually worked on a Sunday!

I always end up never doing much work on Sundays, except possibly some grocery shopping, and never for any religious reasons (as people always tend to assume!). I go to classes full time Monday through Thursday, work on school work and commission work Friday and Saturday, and so Sunday is my day to rest and not do anything. However, today I actually did what I said I was going to! I glued the cabinet door front on the window seat of the bay window, and glued the window section onto the house. I'm really happy without how well the pin hinged doors work. One side is a bit sticky and could have used some extra sanding, but the other side works smoother than anything so when the unruly side gets stuck I can just help it out from the inside through the smooth-operating door I'd have pictures, but the section is currently heavily taped to the rest of the house, so maybe pictures tomorrow. Next decision: If I use one of the 50% off coupons from JoAnn, or the 40% coupon from Michaels, and pick it up in the unfinished wood section, could I possible consider splurging on stain for the window trim and shingles? I want to stain the window peices before I go about gluing them all together, and I want to assemble the windows and trim before I go about putting the egg carton stone on, so I don't have to worry about the stone accidentally getting in the way of the trim!
  24. Still making mistakes

Sooo, even with all my care yesterday because of my previous mistakes, I still made more of them. Not too terribly huge, but tabs ended up in the wrong places. I ended up with slots that had no tabs to fill them and tabs that had no slots to fit into. House fit together just fine, but now I have tabs to whittle and sand off and slots to fill and sand. I could have fixed it, but I was NOT taking the blasted thing apart for a second time, and gluing it together for a third. So much for getting this blasted house put together and mostly finished before my break from school was over! :wub: Possibly will edit this post with some pictures this evening, though I'm not sure -why-
  25. New Word Game 3/15/08

ceremonial