captain tiny

Gold Member
  • Last visited

Everything posted by captain tiny

1. need lots of advice here 1- what sort of paint do i use on the exterior of a house to cover old paint with out peeling later 2- what sort of paint do i use on the interior of a house that would allow for painting over and/or wallpapering over in the future 3- what sort of glue would everyone recommend for items that are not wood 4- how can i remove dried pooled glue from particle board without damamging it 5- how can i remove old wallpaper from paricle board without damaging it 6- what kind of wood filler would be appropriate for particle board and advice on any of these questions would be greatly appreciated i am trying to fix up this wreck of a house - and it is proving to be more involved then i tought it would
  2. I have a dremmal (sp?) and one by northern tools - i love to use my one by northern - the only two things that i dont like about it is that the motor is not very powerful in the smaller unit - but i havent needed it much anyways - and it is hard to find the replacement sanding wheels for the smaller sized sanding drum - but it sure makes everything easier to do - here is a link for the set ... http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/sto...26924_200326924 it is alot cheaper than to dremmel also
  3. I was still deliberating - but then... I had a horrible nightmare that this house was haunted - it even brought my real dead dog back to life as a demon - lol - which i guess i should not laugh at - sometimes you just have to laugh - I do NOT want it in my real house. I know this sounds nuts - but anyone that is nightmare prone will know that having it here will trigger the dream again and again. So there you all have it. I guess I am crazy as a loon. But if anyone is in NC - or wants to pay for shipping I could pick it up for you. The lady hasn't had any other people interested.
  4. I think I am going to skip this one then - considering I am working full time and going to school part time - and i have quite a few projects going already - I would never get it done - lol - thnx! altho it does look beautiful
  5. there is an older san fran on craigs list this morning for 25 bucks in the box. it seems to be a nightmare to build though - how much time on average does it take to put this one together so i can decide - thnx
  6. This is going to sound strange but you can use nail polish. There is a technique manicurists use called doting and you end up with uniform raised dots. There is a tool that you can use to do it - but you can also use a skewer - just file the point down some (not alot just dont want it pointy) dip in it the polish - and make dots - it dries quick - is easily removable if you mess up - and stays once its dry. Check out walmarts nail polish section - the cheapo brands have all sorts of unusual colors that are metalic - I bought one called lightning that looks like nails.
  7. My nephew is absolutely fascinated with the whole dollhouse thing. I was considering asking my sister permission to give him one for christmas, but I know she will not allow it. it is sad really but that is the way people are.
  8. Personally it makes me very sad that you are going to sell such a beautiful house. Do you not have any close friends or grandchildren you could give it to? Not that it is any of my business and I hope that I am not crossing any prersonal lines.
  9. havanaholly - Sounds like you guys did great at the rally. I havent been on a bike since I was a child. I don't even think that I could ride one anymore. sommerstern7 - I did not think you were talking bad about the houses - lol - everyone has their own taste and you are intitled to yours - rofl - don't apologize for it. To tell you the truth neither of these are my favorites, so they will prolly end up being gifted to someone.
  10. Ok - so I boiled the peices I was trying to make and it worked out wonderfully - Thanks for the tip - I never wold have thought of it. To avoid the sticky I just didnt work to clay as much - if I got frustrated and couldnt get something to look the way i wanted I put it down and used a new peice. Seemed to do better. Thnx again
  11. Thanks for the tips on how to remove the glue. I didn't even know where to begin. Hope you had fun at the race.
  12. I was very excited also. I am not sure yet what i am going to do with them. they will both be a back burner project for at least a couple of months i am sure. The vermont has alot of thinsa actually glues to it and in it that i am going to have to fingure out how to remove. It was funny - on the way home the door and the stairs fell off, but the furniture they glued to the walls stayed right were it is. they also used shelf paper for some of the floors and the walls so i need to get that off too. o well - rainy day projects ahoy.
  13. I have taken so long in posting these pictures that I doubt anyone who was interested will even bother to look now ... but here ya go ...
  14. i was trying to make some various things for this spring fling project that isnt going as well as i would like - lol - it is sculpy that i am using - but it has been very humid here lately too - which is nothing new - so i am guessing that may have something to do with it - i wonder if i can use potato starch instead of cornstarch - i have a mild corn allergy - dumb i know - lol thnx for the advise
  15. I am having a problem with the polyclay i pruchased sticking to my fingers and the work surface. Any suggestions or is this just something i am going to have to deal with. Also i am not very good at using the darn stuff will practice improve my results?
  16. Just so your guys know I did not forget to post pics. Just been working 11 hour shifts right now. Hopefully today after work I will have enough energy to do it. sorry - im lazy.
  17. thnx guys this should help alot!
  18. This polyclay I bought has baking directions of however long of each 1/4 inch thickness. Does anyone know how to adjust that time for something less then a 1/4 inch thick?
  19. The furniture looked ugly to me as well - lol - maybe I will use it one day to put in a shack of some sort. I will post pictures on here prolly tonight after work. =)
  20. Well I bought two houses today for the price of one. I got an Author (sp?) and a Vermont Farmhouse Jr. They both need alot of love. Apparently the daughter in the family (not sure of the age) was interested and then lost that interest. The downside is that they had let her attempt to do all of the papering and flooring and painting herself, and has glued some furniture in place. They will be on the back burner here for quite some time I am sure. But if i ever can get to giving them the attention that they deserve I am sure they will really be great. He also gave me a furniture set that greenleaf puts out. altho i could not find it on the site. It is a kit for furniture for an entire house. Does anyone have this, or know if it is even worth opening? From the pictures on the box it does not look great.
  21. I guess I am going to be out on this one. I don't think I am going to have time to fully accessorize the house the way I would like to before the deadline. Working full time and going to school sucks! =(
  22. If you have money to spend then a tool box is great. The large kind like real mechanics use. The have large drawers, small drawers with built it seperators, and cabinets, all in one unit. But unfortunately they can also cost thousands of dollars. Check with your local snap-on dealer. Sometimes if a mechanic is closing up shop they may have one to get rid of.
  23. What a wonderful way to use old photos and add a personal touch to a house! Great work!