hobbyhouse

Gold Member
  • Last visited

Everything posted by hobbyhouse

1. For me it, and many others, is just a decent hobby and I rarely ask a question (and judging from the feedback I've received privately, I'm not the only one being intimidated) because inevitably there's always someone just waiting to jump on what I do ask or say. And I was not rude, I was very restrained, if you want to know what rude really is, I'll forward what's send to me privately, then again, I wouldn't forward such things to anyone. My wise ole father said many many years ago, 'The surest way to take all the enjoyment out of a recreational activity is to require it to to turn a profit.' AND HE WAS AND SILL IS QUITE RIGHT.
  2. If one can manage not to burn one's fingers, or anything else, hot glue does have its uses. There are two types of hot glue, low temp (cloudy) and high temp (clear). High temp gives you a bit more time to work with.
  3. I asked what other's did I didn't say it would have any impact on my decision. It's just a hobby, chill :angry:
  4. There's no almost to it. The furniture was bought to stay together and the house is designed and built to be it's permanant home, and it isn't for playing with. This does not mean all houses to follow will be the same but it is how this house will be. So, there are no 'pros or cons', twas in my heart all along :angry:
  5. I would expect anything wax based to leave a stain and ability to change might be the one instance when 'tacky' could be useful
  6. Not with this house and dust isn't an issue either, the glass front will take care of that.
  7. hobbyhouse

Shingles

This template makes it much easier to achieve that 'shaker shingle' effect. I dilute some white glue with water and use a spray bottle to soak the paper first. Make sure it's glued on straight and completely dry before shingling. It might look like it's upside down but it isn't. Place one shingle in each 'box' and before you know it you'll have a miniature roof to be proud of.
  8. hobbyhouse

Templates

Templates to make miniature construction easier.
  9. Glue would make revamping a frustrating experience. The house I'm working on and the furniture will be STAYING together, I've been years collecting just the right pieces, and while there are no 'little hands' in my home I do have a large dog with a long-haired tail that would quickly sweep everything helter skelter
  10. Like those temporary Scotch brand products for putting up Christmas decorations? This furniture will be staying put as it isn't the 'play with and move around' sort and it definitely won't be needing an upgrade.
  11. Do you glue your furniture and accessories in place? Fed up with things toppling over, L.J.
  12. Sage advice Wolfie for the days that are like swimming through oatmeal. PS: Version I heard was 'don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things'
  13. Shake your head a few times girl, you'll be ok :jumping:
  14. I'd say hubby is due a home cooked meal :jumping:
  15. Whatever sticks you use, resize accordingly, just don't stare at it too long L.J. PS: It's easier not to try to cut the boards to be the right length, bring them over the edges slightly and trim with a metal ruler and a sharp utility knife after, be sure your fingers are safely away from the blade.
  16. Well HERE skinny sticks WERE popsicle sticks.
  17. What a perfect name for a miniatures store
  18. Would it be possible to use wooden scewers or small dowling with the technique used for making paper beads? http://www.paperbeadcrafts.com/images/sampletaper1.jpg