otterine

Platinum Member
  • Content count

• Last visited

Everything posted by otterine

1. Post teller progress

From the album Creatin' Contest 2019

Continuing to revamp a vintage Realife Miniatures post teller. I've always liked these kits, but this one in particular is more challenging and not in the best condition. I've remade parts and continue to alter to fit my small post office interior.

© brae oktober

2. Mail wagon interior

Thanks!    I hope I can do it justice.
  3. Mail wagon interior

Saw another vintage mail wagon, though this one was in actual "antique" shape.  This was at the Galloway House and Village in Fond du Lac, Wisconsin. There are a lot of surrounding buildings you can tour (self-guided). What was interesting to me were the antique items intended for actual handling by guests, something that is rather rare. I highly recommend a visit if you like history and antiques even in the slightest.

© brae oktober

4. Mail wagon - front and back mockups

Thank you!    It's been a challenge but fun to recreate.
  5. Mail wagon - front and back mockups

Making a mockup for the front and back of the mail wagon before building those portions.

© brae oktober

6. Wagon wheel - primed

Thank you!    The primer coat actually bonds to the fuzzies and makes it easier to sand them away. 
  7. Wagon wheel - primed

Primed, sanded, then primed again. There will be one more coat of primer then the final color.

© brae oktober

8. Birds on a Branch - 14.5 hours

Thank you! 
  9. Birds on a Branch - 14.5 hours

I haven't done much work on the Birds on a Branch rug, because I lost my motivation after deciding I didn't like the diagonal striped border. I removed the border knots with an X-Acto blade and now have a solid border to show. I didn't count the time of the knot removal and redo, but I was able to stitch more after that was done. I'm now at 14.5 hours of work. :]

© brae oktober

10. New stovepipe

Thank you!    I wonder if someone makes one in 3D printing for 1:6 scale. 
  11. New stovepipe

I fashioned a new stovepipe from a defunct Chrysnbon cook stove kit part and polystyrene tubing. It will stay unattached until installation. Special thanks to Debora for the bits and bobs!

© brae oktober

12. Stop chain and spring

Thank you! 
  13. Stop chain and spring

I worked hard on the doors all weekend but was too bushed at the end of the day to make a blog post. That's in the works, but here is a sneak peek on the door hardware. Lots of swearing involved getting this door stop made and installed. :D

© brae oktober

14. Front door - almost complete

Thank you! 
  15. Front door - almost complete

I'm leaving off the solid door hardware until I'm ready to install the door, but the majority of the work on the set of doors is done. Full post here.

© brae oktober

16. Purchased bridle

I fitted a bridle made by Texas Tiny that I bought at a local mini show. It was fiddly, but it fits perfectly and is very well made. I'm getting ready to order supplies to make the harness and hope I can modify this bridle to save me a little time. If not, it's an excellent guide.

© brae oktober

17. Where is Casey?

When I did my ten year anniversary blog post last month and looked back for my recaps, I was amazed by how many once familiar names had disappeared from the community - either by illness, passing or just moving on to other things in life. It has also been great meeting new people in the mini world.
  18. For this year's HBS Creatin Contest, I'm building a small town post office featuring Rural Free Delivery. I'm taking a Breyer thoroughbred horse and altering it, adding a flocked finish, new mane and tail. I'm also building a mail wagon, using a doctor's buggy kit for its realistic chassis and wheels. I've been working on this project the past few months, but I am making better progress now that I have figured out my direction on things. I'm planning a tree and a stitched rug if I can fit it in the timeline. The big challenge will be the horse harness and building the mail wagon cabin from scratch, and I am busily researching behind the scenes. Unlike past years, I am openly blogging on the build - this is the intro post showing my 1917 postcard inspiration and the current look of the primed horse. I'm planning to make the build appear new, stepping back in time.  I've also created an album on Greenleaf.  
  19. Ivy Hollow Rural Free Delivery Post Office

Thank you!   It was very interesting to research. They were just everyday people, which is maybe why it was more interesting to me. 
  20. Ebay, Etsy & Craig's List Links

Working windows for the Pierce: https://www.ebay.com/itm/vhtf-timberbrook-19-working-windows-fit-pierce-dollhouse-nib-1-12-complete-rare/143376679061 S/W Crafts Country Estate - ready for rehab: https://www.ebay.com/itm/doll-house-from-kit-very-well-constructed-including-stand-pick-up-only/283507503183 Sweet Shop - Colonial Craftsman: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sweet-Shop-Doll-House-Kit-Model-Homes-Colonial-Craftsmen/162932704740 Colonial Craftsmen - Tudor Dollhouse: https://www.ebay.com/itm/VTG-1983-Colonial-Craftsmen-Inc-Tudor-Dollhouse-Kit-1203-Plywood/223475516272 The Westerner Dollhouse by Doll House Mfg. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Antique-The-Westerner-Dollhouse-1979-Kit-by-Doll-House-Mfg-Co/283582682576  
  21. Ivy Hollow Rural Free Delivery Post Office

I don't know if anyone would be interested, but I just posted my research on the postcard that inspired this build. I was able to figure out who wrote the card, to whom it was addressed and the possible people in the card. That surprised me, because often you are just left to wonder who the people are in old photos. http://www.otterine.com/blog/blog1.php/ivy-hollow-inspiration-photo-and  
  22. The burrow

Great pop of color!   
  23. kitchen in the daylight

The mix of natural wood tones with the cool greys is divine!  Well done! 
  24. Stop chain and spring - detail

Thank you!!!