otterine

Platinum Member
  • Content count

• Last visited

Everything posted by otterine

1. Interior plan

From the album Creatin' Contest 2019

This is the basic plan for the interior with some placeholders.

© brae oktober

2. Layouts

Working on the layout inside and outside. The horse approves, but the cat wants his food cans back.

© brae oktober

3. Rear axle assembly

Thank you! 
  4. Rear axle assembly

Continuing to work on the Mail Wagon, being created by adapting the Doctor's Buggy by Model Trailways. The laser etched brass pieces add fantastic detail, but they are tiny and challenging to work with. They fit well once you wrangle them into submission. I do worry about the longevity, even with using super glue. I think that's because of how delicate the parts seem. Here is the rear axle assembly. It's not very level or straight, but that is a limitation of the cast metal spring. It's somewhat pliable, so it doesn't want to hold the proper shape. I think it will be barely noticeable once the parts are painted a uniform color and the wagon cabin is added.

© brae oktober

5. Tiny brass hardware

Thank you! 
  6. Tiny brass hardware

Continuing to work on the Mail Wagon, being created by adapting the Doctor's Buggy by Model Trailways. The laser etched brass pieces add fantastic detail, but they are tiny and challenging to work with. They fit well once you wrangle them into submission. I do worry about the longevity, even with using super glue. I think that's because of how delicate the parts seem.

© brae oktober

7. Nutecote bed finished

This is so pretty,  so cozy looking! 
  8. Diorama

Too stinkin' cute!!! 
  9. Old desk from Chrysnbon kitchen hutch kit, in progress

Thank you!   
  10. From the album Creatin' Contest 2019

In a large group of magazines gifted to me recently, there are numerous articles on how to make more from a kit than what is presented in the instructions.  I've modified kits before, but some of these are truly remarkable and have opened my eyes to even greater possibilities. I bought a Chrysnbon kitchen hutch kit since I had just discovered a modification perfect for an old post office.  In the November 2000 issue of Dollhouse Miniatures magazine, there are instructions for converting this hutch into a desk.  I think the vintage style is perfect. I went my own direction using the magazine instructions as a general guide.  Since I didn't care about making anything in particular from the leftovers, I used the spare parts as needed.  It simplified things for me and worked out just as well.  Next up, finishing and hardware.  

© brae oktober

11. Building the Greenleaf Travel Trailer

This looks fabulous!    So honored to have added a piece to your project.
  12. Front axle assembly

Continuing to work on the Mail Wagon, being created by adapting the Doctor's Buggy by Model Trailways. The laser etched brass pieces add fantastic detail, but they are tiny and challenging to work with. They fit well once you wrangle them into submission. I do worry about the longevity, even with using super glue. I think that's because of how delicate the parts seem. The front axle assembly is done.

© brae oktober

13. Brass hardware in place

Continuing to work on the Mail Wagon, being created by adapting the Doctor's Buggy by Model Trailways. The laser etched brass pieces add fantastic detail, but they are tiny and challenging to work with. They fit well once you wrangle them into submission. I do worry about the longevity, even with using super glue. I think that's because of how delicate the parts seem.

© brae oktober

14. IMG_7858.jpg

I love how at first glance, you think the opening is a mirror!   
  15. IMG-7857.jpg

Man, this is awesome!   
  16. Old desk from Chrysnbon kitchen hutch kit, in progress

Thank you!    I have both of those books.  I'll need to take another look at them now that I've tried one bash.
  17. Oops forgot to post my last bit of loot!  http://www.otterine.com/blog/blog1.php/3-blind-mice-show-and
  18. Second day of shows - Bishop and some time at The Miniature Show. http://www.otterine.com/blog/blog1.php/bishop-show-and-the-miniature
  19. The mini loot begins!  http://www.otterine.com/blog/blog1.php/3-blind-mice-show-2019
  20. Doctor's Buggy kit

The Rondell kit is completely lacking these suspension details, and after seeing the real life examples, I'm thinking the wheels from that kit would be too bulky as well.  The farm wagons and other utility vehicles had substantial wheels, but the mail wagon wheels were rather slight and dainty.  During my research this week, I happened upon a 1:12 scale Doctor's Buggy by Model Trailways.  This can be pricey depending on the retailer, but I found a great deal on amazon for $50 plus free shipping. It has the exact suspension I need and daintier wheels than the Rondell kit.  Considering the time and effort I would expend to recreate these parts, the kit is worth it for those parts alone.  The springs and axles are actually metal in this kit.  The wheels will spin and turn, which is just fabulous!  I think it should be fairly straightforward for me to extend the suspension front to back to accommodate a mail cabin that will likely be longer than the kit's buggy compartment.

© brae oktober

21. Mail Wagon in real life

I went to a relatively local post office over the weekend to see a real life mail wagon on display in the lobby.  I think my research is complete, and I can begin working on the 1/12 scale version.

© brae oktober

22. I'll be at 3 Blind Mice Thursday night, the Bishop preview on Friday, the Miniature Show Saturday, maybe Bishop again Sat.
  23. craftsman hearth.jpg

Such a stunning room! 
  24. craftsman entry.jpg

Gorgeous!  I love the blue and wood tones together. 
  25. Duracraft roof fit issues (Linfield)

I had these issues with the Heritage.  Partly because I made so many bashed changes to it as I built it and partly because it wasn't square to start.  I added braces and fixes - here's the blog post on it.  Maybe it will help.  In fact, one of the comments on my post was from someone who had an issue with a Linfield.  Good luck! http://www.otterine.com/blog/blog1.php/rickety-persnickety-house