Sivin

Gold Member
  • Last visited

Everything posted by Sivin

1. I have absolutely had it with my current digital camera and would like some suggestions for a replacement. The camera I have is a Canon Power Shot SD1000 Digital Elph purchased probably ten years ago. I have always found the thing too darned complicated for my purposes. I simply need a camera that can take good close-ups of the miniatures (I do a blog for a shop), flash if needed, and basic all around shots of the family, etc. It doesn't need to tweet or bark, (mine has this ability) edit, or dance a jig. It has to be simple. Further I would like to stay in the $100 range, but can go up if needed. Thanks much!
  2. Thank you all! Nope, I didn't consider how huge a 1:12 model would be; I'll search for smaller. Appreciate each of your responses!
  3. Does anyone know of a source for 1:12 scale ships, of the type so many of our ancestors came over on at the turn of the 20th century? Thanks, Helaine
  4. Holly, that E6000 would probably work but doesn't sound too appetizing to me. Is there anything non-toxic you are aware of? Thanks!
  5. Hello, I just picked up Houseworks #8208 Latex Common Brick Sheet for covering the chimney. I was told to use silicone adhesive to attach it. So, first question, if you use this product, which brand do you recommend and secondly, are there alternatives? Instructions say to use an all purpose construction adhesive. Have several glues in the house already! Thanks!
  6. Hello friends, I'm installing Houseworks #5000 Traditional Working Windows into the house and am having a problem with some of the upper windows sliding down. is there a trick to keep them from doing this, or do I just glue them closed? Thanks!
  7. Hi, Would appreciate recommendations for applying a shine to wood floors, staircase, doors, etc. I am familiar with MiniWax but would rather use something non-toxic. The flooring I am applyng is Houseworks Red Oak Wood. Thoughts? Would it be awful not to apply a finish of some type? I do like the way the floors look. However, I still have the rest of the woodwork to consider. Thank you! Helaine
  8. Have been working on this beast(!) for a number of years but I am totally inexperienced and give it up for months at a time. You're experienced and should do fine. Now that mine is finally approaching the finish line I can tell you that this is one beautiful house.
  9. Thanks Holly and Perry. We have a wonderful miniatures shop in the area but her hours are limited so I wanted to be prepared before I went there. Holly, your details gave me a clear picture of what to expect, and Perry, your chimney was a handsome part of your beautiful dollhouse. Upward and onward!
  10. Hello, We just completed the chimney for the Bellingham Farmhouse and I plan to apply "brickwork" to it shortly. The kit comes with some powder and a decal set-up but I have seen advertised online some adhesive type bricks. I would like opinions of such products; how difficult (or easy) they are to apply and the final outcome. Also, if you have used and liked (or disliked) such a product I would appreciate the brand name. Thanks!
  11. Jerry, that's so nice of you to offer but fortunately my husband did figure it out and the chimney has actually been built (big cheer here). You actually built two Bellinghams, huh? Anyway, I now have some questions about finishing it, which I'll post in the general area. Thanks again, Helaine
  12. Sivin

Sick kitty

Wishing your little guy a speedy and complete recovery! Animals are so much a part of our lives and when they become ill, we hurt too. Hope to hear some good news from you soon!
  13. My husband was able to figure this out and now The Beast is really on its way! Thanks for your helpful words, Holly!
  14. Hello! My husband is helping to build the chimney for our Bellingham. We are complete novices in things dollhouse and this aspect is no different. We have the instruction booklet and looking at the illustration on page 14, we are unable to get a clear understanding of what goes where, especially when it comes to the chimney bottom and center. Does anyone have a photograph of the chimney going up, perhaps, or an understanding of the problem here? Your help is appreciated. Helaine
  15. Hollie, as usual you have gone above and beyond with your help. Thank you!
  16. Thanks, Hollie. I thought that was the case. I think I'll purchase the HomeWorks kit. What is a gluing jig?
  17. Still chugging along on the Bellingham. Does the interior staircase come with a bannister? I see no reference to it. Thanks, Helaine
  18. Thank you all for your replies. I plan to scrape off the offending paint and hammer a nail from the bottom of the house, as suggested.
  19. Thanks for replying. The floor is finished with a laytex paint and the glues I've tried said they would work over paint. I think your flipping the house over suggestion is a good one.
  20. Hi, Still stumbling over the Bellingham Farmhouse but getting there slowly. I am having a problem with getting the porch supports to adhere to the porch floor. I've tried using a wood glue as well as a carpenters glue to no avail. Is there another adhesive I should be using, or should I simply nail the supports in, or perhaps glue and nail? Any suggestions are much appreciated. This has been a thorn in my side for weeks. Thanks!
  21. Sivin

Warped!

Emily & Holly, Thank you both for your suggestions. I think I will go with Emily's suggestion; the bowing isn't that bad and I'm confident I can compensate for it. It is an old structure, about 60% completed by my father around 12 years ago, though I think the bowing came from the paint or perhaps some very humid weather we had. It wasn't warped when it came out of storage some time ago, this is recent.
  22. Sivin

Warped!

Thanks, Holly, Though the walls aren't attached yet, I have placed them just to see whether there would be a difference and there isn't. I wish I knew how this happened in the first place.
  23. Sivin

Warped!

Thank you for your help, DocGreen. The problem doesn't seem as complicated as I was afraid it would be. However, I am a bit puzzled. I did look in the Gallery and am not sure what you mean by a support. I am very new at this. Could you please direct me to a house where such a beam is used? Thanks much!
  24. Hello, I am not certain why this happened but two floors of my under construction Bellingham Farmhouse are slightly bowed. Is there a way to correct this without replacing the floors? Could this be successfully hidden with a thin board on top of the floors before installing carpeting or other covering? Thank you.
  25. Thanks for replying, Kathie. I haven't opened the package yet and am debating whether to go with it or use something else.