Jitchiwah

Gold Member
  • Last visited

• Days Won

Everything posted by Jitchiwah

1. Jitchiwah

Haberdashery Shop - “Roberts & Knight”

In my early teens I LOVED minis. I had a shop that my mum had found at an auction for me. It had a dark green double front, with bay windows that were amazing for setting up little displays. I eventually set it up as a Haberdashery & clothing store & spent hours making little items for it. It was eventually sold & many of those miniatures sold with it or lost. In my early twenties I started to make a new one using plans that came from a Magazine (Dolls House and Miniature Scene, i think). I had the shell built, components for the front, and had wallpapered the inside with Brodnax Prints, but never finished the facade, nor did I ever get any interior fittings made. I don’t even know what happened to it I’ve always wanted to re-make it, so during the COVID lockdown I decided to have a go. I started with the Dollhouse Shopkeeper book as a starting point for sizing & construction techniques (and realised that original shop was made from one of those plans!). The front was inspired by False Front Architecture sHops that were typical of gold rush towns. I just liked the style. And well, I just kind of made it up from there!
  2. From the album: Haberdashery Shop - “Roberts & Knight”

They definitely make a difference!
  3. From the album: Haberdashery Shop - “Roberts & Knight”

Just enough to bring the windows to life
  4. From the album: Haberdashery Shop - “Roberts & Knight”

Next time I’m installing wiring in a tiny narrow space, I need to remember NOT to glue to whole pics together till the wiring is installed!
  5. From the album: Haberdashery Shop - “Roberts & Knight”

Haven’t used a soldering iron since I was in a high school tech class!
  6. Very clever! I was planning on trying vinyl for my own shop sign but I might give this some consideration! Thank you for sharing
  7. Lovely effect! I think I’d be too scared to start aging anything in case i totally messed it up!
  8. From the album: Haberdashery Shop - “Roberts & Knight”

Love peeking inside! The window glazing is in place now. I couldn’t find plastic sheeting easily so ended up getting some Ikea Picture frames which had plastic fronts. The stuff is thick enough to be sturdy without being out of scale or chunky.
  9. Jitchiwah

Coming to life!

From the album: Haberdashery Shop - “Roberts & Knight”

Absolutely LOVE how she is looking with the lighting in place!
  10. From the album: Haberdashery Shop - “Roberts & Knight”

They took about 2 days all up. Very fiddly, but really rewarding!
  11. Jitchiwah

Window...

Each shop window was made from about 30 pieces. I worked out the design on graph paper & then built them up. They are made with rebates for the window “glass” to slide into. As the pieces were so delicate, I opted to glue them in place before painting. I just knew if i tried to paint them before installation they’d fall apart. I used 1/24th door frame trim with grooves for the upright pieces, and double bead trim to add detail. You can also see the double bead frames I added to the contrast panels on board below.
  12. From the album: Haberdashery Shop - “Roberts & Knight”

And my socket strip & transformer. Previously I was testing one light at a time with a battery! The back “rooms” are lit with plain bulbs as the light fittings cant actually be seen, it it gives extra life & depth. I also added a handle to the internal door. I will eventually add a “staff only” or “private” sign to the front too.
  13. Jitchiwah

Exterior paint

Chose a light grey. I’m liking how the olive green works as a trim colour against the lighter siding.
  14. From the album: Haberdashery Shop - “Roberts & Knight”

Love seeing the concepts gradually progress & come together
  15. Jitchiwah

windows..

The upstairs windows were donated to be, they had been salvaged from someone else’s project which had been pulled apart. I sanded & repainted.
  16. From the album: Haberdashery Shop - “Roberts & Knight”

I am literally making this up as I go! I’m using the dollhouse shopkeeper as loose inspiration. I wanted a deep window so I can create displays. Trim will be added!
  17. From the album: Haberdashery Shop - “Roberts & Knight”

Just waiting on a light for the upstairs.
  18. Jitchiwah

Upstairs

The right hand door way is to the imaginary stairway, hence the paper matching the stairway section downstairs. The left door way is to be a changing room, and will have a curtain in place. The lights for downstairs will come up & be covered by a false floor which can actually be slid in & out under this back wall. The white floor is actually a thick piece of card in place to help keep the gap while I paper & add mouldings.
  19. From the album: Haberdashery Shop - “Roberts & Knight”

PLaying with the layout. The back shelving unit & counter are store bought. I have to admit I really want a proper haberdashery counter with drawers, but I haven’t been able to find one in budget yet.
  20. From the album: Haberdashery Shop - “Roberts & Knight”

All papers & trimming in place.
  21. From the album: Haberdashery Shop - “Roberts & Knight”

Main room ready for papering, & it’s starting to give the effect of the space behind,.
  22. From the album: Haberdashery Shop - “Roberts & Knight”

The false walls will be inserts in front of these, so I only had to paper what would be visible through the door ways. I added some leftover of another paper (Kenilworth I think) as it matched well with the other colour tones. I papered these before the false walls went in due to space.