Kari Lynn

Gold Member
  • Last visited

Everything posted by Kari Lynn

1. Very nicely done. I also like the color choices for the exterior.
  2. The Grandville is a wonderful house, that one would be hard to pass up. I guess this is one of those addictions where this advice is good advice and I’m going to listen to it. 😀
  3. I’m glad to hear this. Can’t wait to see pics of what you do with it.
  4. This is a very good suggestion, I think I will keep saying this to myself when I take this dh.
  5. Oh, wow, living that close to all that pine when you’re allergic sounds awful. As far as the live Christmas trees, I never had one growing up so of course as an adult I couldn’t wait to finally have one. The allergies weren’t that bad at first but got worse through the years but for the sake of my kids ,who loved the live trees and the walking around the tree farm looking for the right one we kept getting them. But, the kids are grown now and sadly no more live trees for us. As for the wood allergy, I do as you say you would,”Suffer through for the sake of the dollhouse.” Plus, a little help from allergy medicine. It’s worth it.
  6. I have been trying to declutter and minimize the extra stuff I have in my house. I have been planning on selling a few dh kits and downsize my dh collection. But, my daughter recently was given a free 1” scale Greenleaf Chantilly dh (which I adore and have in 1/2” scale already) and wants to know if I want it. It’s already put together and painted but I would definitely change the exterior color and the interior is a clean slate and it still needs shingles, it is quite dusty and smells like basement (all things we here are accustomed to and easily overcome). She has no room to keep it since I already gave the RGT Bostonian dh to her for my granddaughter that I couldn’t pass up years ago when I saw it on Craigslist in pretty good condition for only $100. I want to say no so badly but this voice in my head keeps screaming,”TAKE IT.” I guess most of you reading this know what I will be deciding. So much for downsizing. So, who out there would easily be able to say no to a free dh that they adore?
  7. I am allergic to raw woods, mostly pine. At first I thought I was just reactive to Christmas trees because when we would get a real tree for Christmas I would always get slight allergies and was told that the trees can harbor a certain amount of mold spores and that was what was probably affecting me. But, then we put an addition on our RL house and had the cathedral ceilings covered with pine boards. I got a terrible cough and sore throat that wouldn’t go away, the doctor tried to tell me it was probably from acid reflux and gave me a prescribed proton pump inhibitor that did nothing for me except cause me to be stuck on them twenty years later(sorry,that’s so off topic) The symptoms eventually went away about four months later. Okay, sorry for the extra details, but yes, I have allergies to raw woods too(get them whenever I go into Home Depot). And, yes, whenever I have to put a dh together I get them, I deal with it as long as possible then give in and take allergy meds. After the house is done and painted I am usually fine. Sorry to hear that you had to sell your Beacon Hill. ☹️
  8. He kind of looks like Tom Hardy. Looks great, whoever he is. 😀
  9. Oh my gosh, this kitchen is absolutely gorgeous! I love everything about it. It looks so warm and comfortable I would love to have this kitchen in RL. Well done!
  10. Hi Elizabeth. I’m in north western Connecticut. Was happy to see the hurricane was downgraded to a tropical storm and more to the east of us(still praying for the other half) but I hear ya on the tree situation. We have a huge 50+ year old oak tree right next to our house and every time that wind picks up I cringe. Sorry to hear you have to wait for that Queen Anne, hopefully you’ll have it home soon.😀
  11. Thank you for sharing ,Kelly. I really enjoyed these!
  12. You have done a wonderful job. I could basically go through the whole album and like every picture. I just received the Fairfield as a late Christmas gift, and after looking at everything you have done I feel so inspired to get started on mine. Thank you for posting all the pics.
  13. Hi Kathy, and welcome. I loved reading your post. You sound like a great mom doing these things with your daughter, and your daughter sounds amazing. It is nice to know that there are still young people that enjoy dollhouses. Looking forward to seeing your progress. Have lots of fun and enjoy!
  14. Hi everybody, Read through everyone's posts and glad to hear some of you are doing well, and for those who are having a hard time my thoughts and prayers are with you. Here in northwestern CT we're just trying to stay safe, I think our 'stay-at-home' orders end May 20. Not sure, just keep reading that is the date the governor has issued for the kids to go back to school. I'm very glad to have this forum back up and running, thank you Dean!! Coming here to the Greenleaf forum is a much needed escape from everything else going on out there and it is always nice to see and hear from familiar people (even though I don't post much I always lurk) Nice to see you all again!!
  15. Thank you, Miranda, for posting this article. I really enjoyed it and liked seeing how much I related to a lot of what was being written.
  16. I am so glad I came here and told of what I was going through. I thank each and every one of you for your kind thoughts and the advice...I am going to put a little of everyone's suggestions together and see what happens. Again thank you all so much!!
  17. Thank you Sable, I will definitely give this a try. Jeannine, I'm sorry for the loss of your husband...but I think that gives you the right to say you know exactly how I'm feeling And as for this advice I am going to try to remind myself this is a blessing and try to go for it, thank you. Thank you, Holly, I really like the thought of "work your love for your mother into it," I think this will really help me overcome some of my guilt at doing something other than feeling the guilt and remorse. Thank you, Kathie, for this suggestion, I guess I have nothing to lose to just try to start and see what happens. And I have to say, I have keep reminding myself 'One day at a time' so it's always good when someone else reminds me too, thank you.
  18. Hi everyone, My mom passed sort of unexpectedly on 12-26-17. She had cancer but was in the hospital for something else and needed a routine, low risk procedure that was supposedly botched and she bled into her lung and died. So we lost her far sooner than we thought we would. I joined an online grieving forum but I know many here have lost loved ones and like me have used working on miniatures as a stress relief so I thought I'd ask this here. I have run the gamut of feelings, they loop around and around, mostly guilt for not having seen my mom as much as I should have, so the stress and pain has been immense. But I have had this overwhelming desire to work on one of my dollhouses that I haven't touched in over a year. I feel like it is my brain's way of trying to give me a reprieve from the pain. But here's the problem; my guilt says I don't deserve to have a reprieve and I should just keep mourning my mom and feeling guilty. So every time I look at that dollhouse I just want to escape into it and take a break from the pain but a part of me won't let me. Has anyone else here experienced anything like this? Thank you for taking time to read this.
  19. I think this is the one negative I can't get past. So I don't think I'll be making the trip to get this one. Thank you for the advice. :)
  20. Thanks Kelly. I saw that the roof looked a little off but just thought it was a bad angle shot of the house, but that it opens makes sense, thank you for the info. Maybe I'll reconsider this one and just have to make room for it and of course deal with the "really, another one" look from my husband when he sees it...but I know from what I've read here on this forum, that I'm not the only one who gets those looks so I'm in good company.
  21. Oh, that is too funny but true. If it weren't for the shingles I might have given it a little more consideration, but I've removed shingles before and I have to say it isn't one of my favorite things to do.
  22. Hi everyone, It is really hard not to go buy a dollhouse that is only about ten minutes away from me, even though I really, really don't need another one and have no room for any more, but at least the price is stopping me. But, still, I am very curious what this house is. Does anyone know what this house is and who it is made by? https://hartford.craigslist.org/tag/6153355760.html Thanks in advance for any help.
  23. Am I the only one who can't see the image? All I get is a gray box that says, "Sorry, this content no longer available" . Hmm.
  24. Hi Hannah, A couple of years ago there was San Franciscan 555 in rough shape on Craigslist that I wanted so I could refurbish it and my daughter surprised me with it for Christmas. I needed to remove all the trim inside and out. The glue was pretty strong stuff but a heat gun did the job on the outside but it was tough to reach some of the inside trim with it so I used a hot knife to remove all inside trim and it worked better than I thought it would. Hope this helps. Have fun with the refurb, hope we get to see before and after pics