framebb

Silver Member
  • Last visited

Everything posted by framebb

1. I would contact the manufacturer first. Dig around on the web site and see if you can come up with a phone number. If that doesn't work try putting what you are looking for in a search engine and see what kind of leads you come up with there. I built 2 orchids, the wooden one and the white one. When I built the wooden one I was fortunate enough to have an actual doll house store 5 miles from where we lived (since gone out of business) where I purchased "stained glass" inserts. There's always other options, if you can't get the original inserts.
  2. Also sorry to hear of your loss Just a minor suggestion on my part but DONT toss anything no matter how 'cheap' you may think it is. Remember your Grandmother made you caretaker of some items that were very dear to her. Please take your time before re-homing anything you might regret later on. Are there other family memebers who might appreciate one of the houses?
  3. My Mom built the Lily about 3 years ago and gave it to me that Easter. I have since re-papered just about all of it with the exception of the front hall or foyer. dont think I could get in there if I tried. I do remember Mom saying that if she hadn't put the curtains in the windows on the 3rd floor prior to gluing them in place she would have never been able to do it later. I wenr a step further and took a piece of wood and made a very amatuerish wall between the dining room and living room, instead of the "open floor plan". If I ever change the paper in the dining room or living room again I'd probably re-do the wall a little more sturdy. I snagged a addition I'm going to put on my Whitney since I've never been able to come to terms with the tiny spot I've been trying to use as a bathroom. Lilliput #455 is my next project. Who knows maybe the bedroom will become the bathroom and the bedroom can move in to the new digs..... Enjoy "the build" Jo
  4. I found a mini photo album that I pried the pages apart on. Then I cut and pasted all the tin-types and old photos from Jim's minis pages and emailed them to Staples ( they have the most AMAZING copy machines there) and had them printed out on the laser printer. The laser printer somehow puts a sheen on what ever it prints out so that my pictures ened up looing like real pics. Cut out and laid out, not sure if I want to make a vignette (sic) of possilby the "family" looking at pics in the album with the extras laying around or actually just glueing the photos in the album ( before I lose them) and using the left overs in frames.....decisions......decisons.....;)
  5. Sounds like we are 2 of a kind! Welcome from another newbie and past lurker! I've loved reading about everyones goings on here too. Havent done any major renovations myself just a modification or 2, but am actively pulling splinters out of my fingers from my latest build! Keep us posted on your progress!
  6. Thank you all for the warm welcome. I actually went back to work to fund my new obsession! So far The Whitney is my complete build, I did try and do a make over on a 1/2 scale kit my Mom bought from a catalog( who's name escapes me at the moment) but I can't do 1/2 scale, my preferemce is the 1:12 scale...easier for my clumsy hands. Mom was looking for something to do last year so she built The Lily, not haveing room for more then one since she also has The San Franciscan, she gifted me Lily last Easter. I did a make over and built a wall between the living room and dining room. I have to give thanks to my husband for unknowinly supplying me with the building materials thanks to his cigar smoking. I raided the boxes he keeps and used the the cedar sheets they use to divide the layers in shipping. A side note in case anyone wants to take a budget way out for wall paper. If you go to one of the printable sites and down load a wall paper, pictures or what ever to your computer. You can email it to your local Staples and they can print it out for you. I did this a few times last fall for wooden looking floor papers I used and they came out great. My biggest question I would put out there is, after you spend sooooooooooooooo many hours building, decorating and in my case bonding with these houses how do you sell them or give them away?? I'd love to do a the Victoria's Farmhouse from Hobby Lobby, but I know I dont have the room. If I did give it to someone I think I'd want visiting rights! Be safe, JoAnne
  7. I hope I'm doing this right to post here under new topic, anyway here goes. JoAnne here from Hunterdon County, NJ. Im currently starting to build The Orchid. I guess you could say Im getting antsy to do something now that its all snow covered out there. I have a Hobby Lobby with in a 30 min. drive from where I live and I LOVE to work those 40% off coupons. I wanted to build one of the larger houses HL had but couldnt for the life of me figure out where I was going to put it (I have 2 houses currently) or how I would even move a new one. I picked up a few of the boxes and they were'nt exactly light weights. The Orchid solved all my dilemas in one box. Im just looking forward to seeing it all come together again. I've been trying to get to Lowes or HD for paint but the weather hasnt been exactly co-operative. Since I've gotten involved in miniatures my new favorite store ( and I am SO fortunate to live within a 15 min. drive) is the Dollhouse Factory in Lebanon, NJ., the owners are fantastic to work with. I am taking a 'class' there in a few weeks to constuct a doll that looks like Audrey Hepburn in the white dress from My fair Lady. OK enough babble from me, hope I posted correct here, JoAnne
  8. framebb

IMG_0035.JPG

What a FANTASTIC find! Aside from a kit, Ive never come across anything like that, kudos to you, or in todays jargon 'props'! :thumb:
  9. A MILLION thanks for the deatiled instructions! I'm was getting "itchy fingers" and wanted to do a build again. Picked up the Orchid at Hobby Lobby about a week ago and almost went in to a panic when I looked over the instructions! No lie, I actually needed a magnifying glass to read the schematic diagram. Digging around on the' inter-web' here I found your downloadable instructions. I've only printed the pages I need as Im going along but what great job you did on providing this! If I ever figure out how to resize the pictures I will attempt to post my finished Orchid here. Again thanks JoAnne