stickyfingers

Platinum Member
  • Last visited

• Days Won

Everything posted by stickyfingers

1. Well rats...tried to upload an album, and having trouble. Will try again this weekend.
  2. Oh, and when I realized that you could vote for more than one entry, I went back and voted for all of the ones I liked. Most of the entries were really wonderful!
  3. My entry was "The Ofrenda". I am just so, so happy with it, I don't care if I didn't win. I made a Dia de los Muertos alter...not my usual fare. I did a lot of research on the holiday, and tried to make the build culturally accurate. I made almost all of it myself, and the few accessories I bought, most of those I painted or altered to suit the build. I learned how to work with polymer clay (a first!) and made most of the food myself. I costumed my Catrinas, and painted their faces. I made sugar skulls. I made the flower swag and the papel picado. I made the table and the crates. I made the floor out of an egg carton and drywall mud. I strung the lights. I made the angel statue and some of the candle holders. This took me months, and hundreds of hours to complete. The last day that I worked on it, I had intended to just "glue some things down" and ended up spending another 8 hours tweaking it and getting everything just so. When it was finally done, I was just ecstatic. This was such a huge accomplishment for me on so many levels, that I will treasure it, winner or not.
  4. Right? I feel bad for the people that did some really nice work, and are hardly getting any votes. Also, a little disappointing to not see HBS posting all of the entries on their Facebook page. When the contest started, it disappeared from the website. I entered, never expected to win, but...wow.
  5. I have a Linfield kit. It was the first kit I ever bought, and I immediately disliked it as soon as I got it home, so I've never done anything with it, and have considered selling it. Seeing yours, all in wood tones, and seeing your vision for it, has given me new inspiration. It's really lovely as-is, and I'm excited to see what you do with it!
  6. Anyone following this? Interesting to see how the voting is playing out.
  7. stickyfingers

With trim

What a gorgeous house!!! Those windows are spectacular! Can't wait to see the finished product!
  8. Those fairies are really wonderful!! I love the costumes and the hair is perfect!
  9. I have an old wooden refrigerator and a small stove that I'm going to makeover for the Heritage. The metal hinges on the fridge are rusty and loose and don't fit very well. I'm wondering if I can just remove them and use a strip of Tyvek for a hinge instead?
  10. I'm pretty sure it's just one page. Don't panic. Here's what I do with a new kit: Inventory the kit and make sure you have all of the pieces. Read the instructions through several time, making any notes in the margins about questions, concerns, etc. Label all pieces with the name or part number with a pencil. Take your time, relax, have fun!
  11. MaryKate, just go to the airshow! I know some of the pilots, and it might have been fun!
  12. I needed a low sheen water based poly for another project and discovered Valspar. It's the finish I used for the top of my faux granite craft cart in my albums. Great product, and a wonderful dull satin sheen.
  13. Glad to have you, and your work just gets better and better!
  14. You can always go to the maker's website to find all of the instructions and warnings.
  15. Thanks so much!! That's exactly the look I was after!
  16. From the album: Dura Craft Heritage

Another redo. This came with an unfinished base and that shiny satin fabric. I took off the upholstery, painted and antiqued the frame, then recovered it with a pale blue linen. I used pearl cotton for piping, and made a pillow out of some nubby ribbon.
  17. stickyfingers

Dura Craft Heritage

This poor house is just a mess! Dirty, broken and abused, but hoping for a second life.
  18. From the album: Dura Craft Heritage

Another redo. This came with an unfinished base and that shiny satin fabric.
  19. Judy, if anyone can come up with creative solutions to problems, it's this group! The Beacon Hill is a great house! It's been unbearably hot, so just doing inside work. I sanded some little bits, and started painting a few bits of finish trim. I had to stop painting, as the AC was blasting so hard, the paint was drying too quickly. Hope to work on a few more furniture makeovers while I wait for the weather to improve. I had been waiting for it to be cool, dry and not windy to spray some sealer on the papers for the yellow house, but that's not going to happen for months, so I think I may just go ahead and install all of the new walls and be done with it.
  20. Thanks so much! I loved the fabric, and it goes nicely with the wallpaper that's going in that room, but the wood made it too formal and fussy. These came in a lot that I bought to get something else, so they were an extra bonus. No prep, other than a wipe down. I did manage to get some tiny bits of paint on the fabric, though. Just waited until it was dry, then flicked it off with a craft knife. I cleaned off the lint and dust on the fabric with an old, dry toothbrush.
  21. From the album: Dura Craft Heritage

I had these in my stash, and they're perfect for this house. I didn't care for the dark shiny wood, though. Painted with chalk paint, distressed and antiqued.
  22. From the album: Dura Craft Heritage

I had these in my stash, and they're perfect for this house. I didn't care for the dark shiny wood, though.