jaxenro

Gold Member
  • Content count

• Last visited

Everything posted by jaxenro

1. Help - Help - Help Please

Definitely will post pics. But it’s hard to flip through the pages of a photo together a feel for how it is
  2. Wedgwood Jasperware

3. Thanksgiving Dinner

I hope everyone has a good thanksgiving tomorrow  This year we decided to stay home as my wife has been falling lately and it will just be the two of us. I have been doing the cooking since she got Parkinson’s so we are trying a non traditional T-Day dinner. I am making roast lamb over shrimp and cornbread stuffing with broccoli florets drizzled with hollandaise sauce on the side plus crescent rolls and cranberry sauce. NY cheesecake and pumpkin pie for desert. What are you having? Traditional or other?
  4. Sofa

Yes I have some lamb skin samples that look really thin
  5. Bookcases II

I oil the face where the glue doesn’t go and try to keep oil from where it does. So far no issues 
  6. Bookcases II

It isn’t as dark in person these photos are a bit dark. I would have liked some Greek Key pattern trim but didn’t have any  in 1/4” handy
  7. Bookcases II

Veneer is thin sheets of wood you glue over base wood. In this case it is a mahogany veneer over mahogany. Usually after gluing but before trimming I soak some oil on to reduce chipping. Normally I use linseed oil but here I used artists linseed oil that has had saffron soaking in it for a few years. Gives it a yellow-red tint and darkens the wood but not as much as alkanet root oil
  8. What would be your dream dollhouse?

Love the dome. I had sketched one out as a garden tea house one time I wanted to do the dome as a lithophane with the twelve Olympians. I could envision it on a large estate as almost a folly
  9. Any Little House fans here?

Without getting too political Rose, Laura’s daughter, along with Ayn Rand and Isabel Paterson, is considered a founder of the American libertarian movement and one of the main political theorists   https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rose_Wilder_Lane
  10. Bookcases II

When I get to pictures it will be clearer but my written descriptions can be confusing just waiting for the veneer to arrive I hate waiting
  11. Bookcases II

Maybe I am explaining wrong. Think of it as a piece of baseboard molding with the thickest portion at the bottom for the base. Then flip it with the thickest portion at the top for the top. 
  12. Bookcases II

Upside down from the above picture. If you look at the plan you can see the top is basically just the the bottom half of the base molding flipped over so going south to north the base flares in and the top flares out
  13. Bookcases II

Boiling water helps. When I used to make balsa models I would soak the strips in ammonia which turns balsa really flexible. They also make a veneer softener which works the longer you soak, within reason, also helps. I found soaking burl walnut overnight I could wrap it around a screwdriver shaft without any issues and dry it is brittle stuff
  14. Bookcases II

I gave the sides a lot of thought and found what I think is a solution to both issues, but I am saving it for the next pair I build after these. 
  15. Bookcases II

No electric tools for me. I like the human powered aspect of my hobby
  16. Too much stuff???

What miter cutter?
  17. What would be your dream dollhouse?

Monticello  also Millford with its documented Phyfe furnishings  https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millford_Plantation
  18. Too much stuff???

At least you didn’t buy two of them
  19. Bookcases II

He is amazing isn’t he? Spent quite some time looking at his art A lot of his work is slightly earlier than what I am trying more Federal than Empire. Empire is more solid and blocky while Federal is refined and elegant. Say 1800 vs 1830. But I see what both of you mean about the need to scale down in miniatures as scale could look overscale The tricky part of this one will be making veneered molding. I am going to be building it up in strips using layers then mitering the strips. I think Duncan Phyfe could veneer a tennis ball but I am A novice. So I think I will leave well enough alone and move on to the next steps waiting on a veneer order so there might be a lag  
  20. Bookcases II

A touch of filler and some sanding the outside and face will be veneer as Holly says we want a flat surface for it  
  21. Bookcases II

Yes sanding will even it all out. Both the front and back will be sanded flush plus the ends and sides as well  
  22. What's everyone working on?

Thank you. I was going for old and oil stained on that one.
  23. What's everyone working on?

No God did - they are natural wood walnut burl veneer i like the plain linen idea
  24. What's everyone working on?

Yes the entire panel - it will then sit inside the mitered frame
  25. Silver and gold coins. Morgan dollars, gold half eagles, modern mint proof silver eagles. Firearms from the 1840’s (reproductions) through the 1920’s. Between the two that eats up a lot of collecting dollars although I keep the more valuable coins in a safety deposit box so I don’t see them as often.  Coins are addicting. Lately I have been looking at “the queens beasts” 10 oz silver series but haven’t bought that first one. Once I do I will need to get all of them   https://www.jmbullion.com/mints/government-mints/royal-mint/queens-beast-coins/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwrMHsBRCIARIsAFgSeI2BSmEYKJ34l-Z49UHF2eokhwaGyJ8DdyWfixyFbWeJumFSzn2yLckaAmmbEALw_wcB