amandaj

Gold Member
  • Last visited

Everything posted by amandaj

1. Hi all, not sure why I am vacillating over this house http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/george-town/collectables/hand-crafted-dolls-house/1089390043 as it is cheap, but what do you think of it? Made in my home state, looks like a bargain to me - perhaps it's the colour making me falter, and I'm wondering whether it would be okay to make changes to it or keep it the same, or whether it has potential, or . . . What do you think?
  2. Sending you all warm thoughts from Australia where it is still summer
  3. I did think about straws. I will have a go at this soon. I guess I could paint them? I feel like paint would't stick?
  4. I used lots of PVA glue, spread thinly on the cardboard and the wood. It stuck better than I thought it would actually.
  5. Thank you. Making curtains and books today, and still many many details to be done.
  6. I just noticed the little model guy peeking around the corner! Hilarious!!
  7. I've added more pictures to the gallery. Here are a couple of them which I really like:
  8. amandaj

Laurel chimney

From the album: My Laurel - first build

I made this chimney using egg carton bricks, a Roses chocolate box, a Star Wars LEGO box and the end of an egg carton for the middle bit. I dry brushed paint on and sealed it with matte mod podge which is not as matte as I would like it to be. It is definitely not perfect, I could have grouted and tidied up the sides, but I am quite happy with it. It has a 'rustic' feel.
  9. amandaj

My Laurel - first build

Working on my first kit built dollhouse, through some trial and error :)
  10. From the album: My Laurel - first build

I still need to trim the sides to hide the messy joins and think about how to put spout and guttering on the verandah. I am yet to see anything that would work for this, so will need to research further.
  11. amandaj

Laurel front door

Just waiting for a mini person to sit in the rocker to watch the mini world go by.
  12. amandaj

Laurel attic

Hey, every house needs a storage room! These pics came with a part work kit I bought years ago and few fit my tastes, so I am going to repurpose the frames with artwork more in keeping with my house and ideals.
  13. amandaj

Laurel attic door

This is a tiny door I made in the wall I added to access the attic space. My husband said he would like to live in the house, but wouldn't fit through this door as he's over 6 feet tall. I would be fine though as long as I bent over a bit!
  14. From the album: My Laurel - first build

This room only has a desk at this stage. I think it will hold lots of the little bits and pieces that made my grandparents' house so interesting. My Grandma used to write poetry, paint and dabble in flower arranging, so some of this might end up here. Also, G'pa played bowls and followed the horses, so perhaps a form guide needs to go near his bowls bag?
  15. amandaj

Laurel kitchen

The kitchen is coming together. I made the sink unit - one of my very first attempts at building - and it is okay for the time being. I won't attach it permanently at this stage, as the kitchen needs a smaller unit I think. I am sure my skills will improve, but this is a pretty good stop gap measure for now. Used a KFC sauce container for the sink and destroyed an ugly necklace to make the door handles.
  16. Your build is one of my inspirations. Thank you for sharing.
  17. Pin hinged doors are definitely in my future - this build I glued them in, shut. Possibly will regret this as my husband and son both said, "Cool. Do the doors open?" Since I don't have too many visitors I hope I won't have to say no too many times. I have added some pics to my gallery - and have moved a long way beyond these pics now. WOW THEY ARE BIG! SORRY!
  18. From the album: My Laurel - first build

This wall is made from foam core board and I had a great deal of trouble making the wallpaper stick. In the end, I used superglue on the edge to smooth it down as it kept bubbling. Not sure what I need to do next time to ensure this doesn't happen, but I think it would have been easier to use wood!
  19. amandaj

Study wall

The attic will be a study/library area for my little people - a place to add some of the curios in miniature that I remember from my grandparents' house.
  20. amandaj

Attic floor

I bought a very cheap pad of paper from Kmart which has come in quite handy. This flooring is from that book, and is just the distressed look I was hoping for. I sealed it with gloss mod podge. This wallpaper is from the same pad - a faded blah sort of look which I don't think is a decorating style that will take off any time soon!
  21. amandaj

IMG-0237.JPG

Felix helping me out