Buendia

Silver Member
  • Last visited

• Days Won

Everything posted by Buendia

1. Buendia

Bathroom

You are all so nice! I wish I got to work on this more.... I did finish a bed and a wardrobe and bedside table but don't want to post them yet because I still need to do a bedspread, alarm clock and put "hinges" on the wardrobe. Oh - and a fireplace. Like the towel cabinet, everything is made out of cardboard. I need to figure out how to do door and drawer pulls - any ideas? I bought beads at Michaels but they were too big!! Anyway, I will snap a photo tomorrow - I keep this house in my office!
  2. Buendia

Willowcrest - Beauty on a Budget

Trying to buy as little as possible and make as much as I can, so this is a budget project.
  3. Buendia

Bathroom

From the album: Willowcrest - Beauty on a Budget

I still need to print the rug onto fabric and come up with some door handles for the towel cabinet. Most of this is Chrysnbon kit, but the towel cabinet is made from cardboard. I modified the sink so that it's a pedestal sink.
  4. Buendia

front.jpeg

Thank you so much, everyone! I'm sad that I've hardly worked on it at all this holiday... we've been so busy, and I keep the house at my office.
  5. Buendia

front.jpeg

Lots still to do on the exterior... but this is where it is now. I am working on a widow's walk railing idea that I can make out of toothpicks, cardboard and paper beads.
  6. Buendia

bedroom.jpeg

Window glazing and mullions are in! I didn't use the very thin acetate that came with the kit. Instead I bought thicker acetate and used very thin wood strips for mullions glued onto each side. The french door is made of illustration board and kleenex boxes and the knobs are made from kleenex boxes, toothpicks and paper beads. Baseboards are illustration board. I can't wait to start making furniture!
  7. From the album: Willowcrest - Beauty on a Budget

The upstairs hall. This is different from the kit where you don't see the stair and the door to the bedroom is close to the front of the house (and it's a double door if I remember correctly). Having this hall stole some square footage from the bathroom, but that's ok with me!
  8. From the album: Willowcrest - Beauty on a Budget

The corner of the drawing room.
  9. Buendia

Drawing Room

Window glazing and mullions are in! I didn't use the very thin acetate that came with the kit. Instead I bought thicker acetate and used very thin wood strips for mullions glued onto each side.
  10. From the album: Willowcrest - Beauty on a Budget

Window glazing and mullions are in! I didn't use the very thin acetate that came with the kit. Instead I bought thicker acetate and used very thin wood strips for mullions glued onto each side.
  11. Buendia

kitchen.jpg

That's true... I am very excited to make the furniture!
  12. Thank you! You know what's funny? I live in a very contemporary house (my design). Maybe this is my alternate universe!
  13. From the album: Willowcrest - Beauty on a Budget

I worked on doors today... The bathroom door is made from three layers (middle is illustration board and the outer edges are kleenex box to create a paneled look. The front entry door has five layers: two kleenex box layers, middle illustration board (where the plexiglass goes) and two more kleenex box). The whole thing is painted to look like dark walnut. I still need to do the letterbox, doorknob and knocker, but I need to go buy some gold paint.
  14. Buendia

kitchen.jpg

I am realizing that there is so much more to do! Windows, front door, furniture!
  15. Buendia

stair3.jpeg

They are toothpicks with little paper beads! The oval paper beads are 1/4" x 8.5" triangles cut out of copy paper and then I start rolling the wide end with a little glue around the toothpick, adding glue every so often so they're nice and firm when they dry. The cylindrical beads are just 1/4" x 8.5" (not a triangle). I can't remember where I saw this technique. The size of the beads were trial and error. The first few were HUGE and ugly!
  16. Buendia

Entry

Thank you! Found it in an internet search... then put the border around it sized to the dollhouse floor in Pages, then printed at my copyshop. I sealed it with matte sealer before I put it down... I am now on the hunt for a kitchen floor! Also - part of me thinks I should have created the whole thing with little squares of paper, but that's crazy, right?
  17. Buendia

Drawing room

Oh! You are all so sweet! Up close it's a little more... home-made... but it's super fun! My daughter's friends particularly like this project. They're used to my projects, and always want to know more. To my daughter it's just what I do, and not all that interesting, but I can't help thinking that I hope she saves this one. My colleague - another architect - said I am insane!
  18. Buendia

Drawing room

Fireplace is made out of matte board, wainscot and other paneling is kleenex and cracker boxes. I used little glue dots to embellish the fireplace metal, then painted matte black. The ceiling trim is just a plain piece of basswood. Ceiling is scrapbook paper, painted. The trim around the opening is made from bits of matte board.
  19. From the album: Willowcrest - Beauty on a Budget

I wish the fireplace interior showed up better in this photo... I worked so hard on it! It needs a big gilded mirror over the mantle (later!).
  20. Buendia

hall1.jpeg

Thank you so much! It's all paper: I found the floor on the internet at a real-life flooring website and printed it to scale. The spindles are toothpicks with paper-beads. I'm sad that this particular view gets covered up after the wall goes on, but I made a bigger window than the little diamond that the kit comes with, so maybe it'll be more visible?
  21. Buendia

Entry

Thank you so much, everyone! It's been so much fun!