MiniaturesInsight

Platinum Member
  • Last visited

• Days Won

Everything posted by MiniaturesInsight

1. Hi Lisa, I've actually never used an embroidery machine, I like doing it by hand so much. It's almost meditative in a way, and I feel that the end product has a lot more personality to it. That's just me though! Most embroidery machines I've seen tend to just do it for you if you load a pattern into them, if you wanted to control it yourself I think you'd have to draw the pattern first with washable fabric marker to create a guide for yourself.
  2. Well this weekend was a mini show in my little corner of the world, and so I went to that with my addiction hobby enabler of a mother on Saturday. I picked up a bunch of nice minis which I'll share just as soon as I can get to a camera. Then on Sunday I made this little guy! I think it's been about 15 years since I last touched polymer clay, so I'm going to mark this as a win. Now to the hard part, baking him!
  3. MiniaturesInsight

Newberg Dollhouse Kit Bashing

Kitbashing a NIB Dura-Craft Newberg dollhouse.
  4. From the album: Newberg Dollhouse Kit Bashing

Jewelry wire for the trunk/head and a heavy-duty staple for the arms. The pot is a little wooden one that I picked up at my local miniature show this weekend, and then I had fun with polymer clay. Just need to bake him.
  5. From the album: Newberg Dollhouse Kit Bashing

White acrylic paint for the risers and a brown sharpie to stain the treads.
  6. From the album: Newberg Dollhouse Kit Bashing

Coffee stir sticks, love them.
  7. From the album: Newberg Dollhouse Kit Bashing

Gluing in the stairs to the support structure.
  8. From the album: Newberg Dollhouse Kit Bashing

Finally building the back half of the dollhouse! Here's the base all ready to go.
  9. Anna, here's another method that I've seen done for tile/mosaic tabletops. http://1inchminisbykris.blogspot.com/2013/02/1-inch-scale-wicker-table-with-tile-top.html I can't wait to see what method you come up with! I have thought about doing a tile or mosaic table for my greenhouse.
  10. From the album: Newberg Dollhouse Kit Bashing

Wow, long time no post, but I've been working hard on my master's degree so..... Anyway, back to miniatures! This time I'm working on adding walls to the conservatory and framing out the glass panels.
  11. From the album: Newberg Dollhouse Kit Bashing

I love how the best mini treasures can also be the most unexpected. These came from the back of an old calendar I had forgotten to toss, and fortunately I noticed that the little preview images on the back of the calendar for each month were the perfect size to be 1/12 scale artwork. Now to frame them! If anyone's interested in knowing the names of the artists who did these, I have a list of them.
  12. Mini Les Bois, miniature club of Boise, ID, is organizing the 38th Annual Miniatures Show and Sale on: Sat. April 21, 2018 between 10am-5pm and Sun. April 22, 2018 between noon-5pm Best Western Vista Inn at the airport: 2645 Airport Way, Boise, Idaho 83705 Admission is $5.00 for adults, $2.00 for children 5-12 years old, and free for those 5 and under. There are door prizes, raffles and displays on both days, and there will be dealers from 6 states, CA, CO, ID, OR, WA, and WY, attending. Per my information there will be 1:12, 1:48, and 1:44 scale minis available.
  13. I would think that since the company closed their doors so many years ago any patents are likely to have expired. Also I think regarding copyright you could say that you want it put to DVD under the fair use for educational purposes clause and be fine, given the age and the fact that no-one is likely to care!
  14. Lately I've been getting back into embroidery, urged on by my latest mini project of sewing the fabric details like bedding and whatnot for my dollhouse. Eventually I want to embroider a couple of nice rugs and perhaps crochet some thread lace for window treatments for it. However, it's been about seven years since I last put needle and floss to fabric, as the last project before this one was a pair of pillowcases with a stamped cross stitch pattern completed when I was 17. Very simple and not terribly interesting. In the endeavor to practice a little on something larger before I begin working on something mini, I went sorting through my file of patterns for something to work on, and came up with this raven pattern I bought from Urban Threads many years ago. I don't have a printer right now, so I just free-handed it, and I think it looks pretty good! So far using a combination of backstitch and long and short stitch to fill it in.
  15. Oh my, I can see it now. Hi, my name is _______ and my SO has an addiction which they insist is 'just a hobby'.....
  16. Thanks! I agree, the tepee look isn't great, and definitely messes with the realism! I also wanted to be sure that I could change out the top bedspread later if I want, so instead of gluing it into place, I folded it on the drape lines, then ironed those folds. Then when it's unfolded and put on the bed you get a nice, natural drape and no tepee look!
  17. Holly, These might work for your purposes, it depends on how flat you need them to be, but they're very small, 3x1mm! I've been looking into using these for my appliance doors and regular house doors myself. Amazon: Personalized-Multi-Use-Whiteboard-Magnetic-Refrigerators
  18. From the album: Newberg Dollhouse Kit Bashing

For the sheets, I wasn't initially sure what I would use, but after I brought home my new fabric purchases, I discovered that I had a green fabric laying around from an old project that matched color perfectly with the light green leaves on this green leaf-patterned fabric. So that became the sheets, and for the bedspread I used the green leaf-patterned fabric and the flat white cotton fabric I bought. Initially I considered trimming the hem before turning it right-side out, but I actually kind of like the way it looks untrimmed. We'll see. If I later decide I want to trim it shorter so less of it shows, I can open it back up again with no trouble. Regarding the canopy, I love the texture of the scrap cotton gauze I had laying around (again from an old project). I just need to figure out what to do with it to get it to behave, but if I can get it to work then I'll be thrilled. From there, all I need is to make pillows, and add some decorative trim or something to the canopy, perhaps.