SJDeluke

Silver Member
  • Last visited

Everything posted by SJDeluke

1. LOVE the shutters! I had seen on a couple of other posts that you were making your own windows and doors, and they look fantastic. I love making things with my hands so I'm ready to jump in.
  2. So last weekend I managed to dry fit my ENTIRE Garfield house (minus the trim and windows/doors). I must say, this thing is quite sturdy even just taped together as I've had to move it around and rotate it on the table quite a few times to get to other areas. Now it's just been sitting, party because I got slapped with a series of headaches this week and partly because I don't know what to do next (so I'm currently organizing my workspace). I think I should probably label my interior walls so I know what room they are when I disassemble but I'm itching to do the stairs because I'm already planning to change them up and know what I want them to look like. Also wanting to make my own windows/doors but definitely need to do lots of research before I tackle that project. I feel like I have ADD when I look at my house!
  3. I feel your pain Kathie. One of our HVAC unit was on the fritz and barely working (I'm in TX - this is not an option). First company said it would be about a $5k fix, second company said we needed a new unit (only $15-20K), third fixed it for $182. Has worked perfectly the last three days. I think we'll stick with calling that third company from here on out.
  4. Oh wow! I usually don't even realize they are there until i rub my hand against fabric. I slept with one last night that was incredibly sore this morning but I finally managed to get it out.
  5. My poor hands. Anybody want to compete? I've only dry fit my foundation and a staircase and I'm at about 22 count.
  6. Hi, Cally. I'm new and also building the Garfield (although I've only made it as far as dry fitting my foundation). I'll be wiring mine as well, just ordered my Cir-Kit yesterday. I hope it goes smoothly for you!
  7. Definitely following her blog as I build. I just wasn't positive I was seeing it correctly. After sleeping on it I figured out why I was having such a hard time on figuring it out, I was thinking my foundation was presently upside down, not right side up. I'm laughing at the hilarity of my mistake now, but glad it only took one night of sleep to figure it out.
  8. Well, that didn't help. I didn't find anything. Thinking I'll just skip this for now, not like I'm gluing anything anyway. Hopefully someone will rescue me with better directions/photos before I need to glue.
  9. I'm referencing a blog, still just not a clear cut picture of it. I didn't think about YouTube though, thanks for the tip.
  10. I started the dry fit on my foundation but I'm a little unclear on the kitchen step directions. I searched and saw where someone else asked for an illustration but when I click on the link provided in a response it was no longer working. Anybody have a picture of this part?
  11. Hello all. I've been browsing the forum (what a Godsend!) and am thrilled to join the community and embark on this journey. I've always wanted a dollhouse and actually had one at about 12 or 13 that my Mom and I started together. Unfortunately we only got as far as the foundation and due to a lack of space it never made any progress and eventually got trashed after several moves. Fast forward many years later and I now have a 14 (soon to be 15) year old daughter and I thought this would be a great project for us to do together to make memories and bond. We're super excited about it, even my 10 yr old son wants to join in. I purchased the Garfield which I now know is a brave first attempt but I figure if I screw it up to badly I'll just learn from it and do it again. When I first opened the box and read the directions I thought about packing it back up. Luckily, I instead began reading the tips and blogs here and found a starting place. I managed to label all the pieces, get lots of supplies, and today will finally start my dry fit, which I definitely think is a must. I would love to wire the house so I'm looking forward to learning about that and super excited about decorating and possibly making my own furniture. I know I have a long ways to go before I reach that point but I love having a hobby to focus on now! Thanks in advance to everyone that has forged this journey before me and has been willing to share your knowledge, input, advice and mistakes. See you around the forum! Sarah