Felthen

Gold Member
  • Last visited

• Days Won

Everything posted by Felthen

1. Greenleaf is very generous with this forum and anybody can become a member and get dollhouse help. I love it here, and although mostly I just lurk, I have always found the ideas and answers I need. I have been amazed by the sheer volume of truly knowledgable help given by others and this forum has been a happy escape for me for years now. I love seeing what others are doing with their creations and it helps me as I soldier on with mine. The Bostonian is a pretty big project.
  2. Sounds good. Does it work?
  3. I would agree with Emily that RGT houses are heavy but the the half scale ones may be ok. I am working on a half scale front opening Victorian. I thought that in the box it was was too heavy but once I pulled it out and dry fit it together it was fine. I easily carried that house around and moved it at will, even filled with furnishings. The way RGT packages their kits you might be able to carefully open the box and do a quick dry fit and just check the approximate size and weight. They can be re-packaged very nicely to work on or sell later.
  4. Oh that is a great house Emily.
  5. Yes shipping from Russia and Spain is taking a long time right now. I have also been waiting regularly 90 days and more for orders.. My spending is a little higher because since covid I got brave and started to make headway on my projects and I have become more enthusiastic. A lot of what I have ordered has been from overseas artisans. I tend to order things I could never in a million years learn to make as well as they do from artisans I admire. Since covid I am not doing much else and I have been inclined to "treat myself" with a new thing every few weeks. Kind of one purchase at a time. I have a pretty good stash to work from so I fill in the order wait time making up House of Miniatures kits I have been holding onto. I also have some Red Cottage Miniatures stuff I bought last year that I pulled out again and re-started. I have probably doubled my time on miniatures this winter over a year ago, but maybe tripled my output because I have improved.
  6. Craft area creep... I knew there had to be a name for it. Sadly for my husband our dining table has the best light in the whole house. He still gets his corner.
  7. Two thumbs down as well, and I reserve the right to disagree.
  8. It does have a very "victorian male' feel. it is nice to see a really well done male room in a dollhouse. INMHO the Fairfield tower room is hard to furnish believably as well. I tried mine as a sewing room, and then kind of gave up and undid it. I could not get over the idea of going all the way up and down with sewing supplies and huge bolts of fabric. Your study is lovely and cozy and makes much more sense. The record player up there is also very believable. "George get that thing out of my living room, if I have to listen to that racket one more time..."
  9. That is a really nice house , I strongly considered it. I decided with the current number of projects and the slowww rate That I finish them that I should not get it. Those are nice kits to assemble though, and that one is very complete with nice quality windows and stairs.
  10. Etsy issued me a full refund on the shadowcliff dollhouse today. So I have my money back. Thank you everyone for your emotional support. It was appreciated. I will be more careful in future about checking seller feedback and length of time the shop has been open. But all is well that ends well...
  11. Thank you Carrie I have been looking for that light
  12. Medieval, No that is not the same seller if you wanted that kit go for it. The seller I had trouble with was on Etsy and she is no longer there any more either.
  13. I like Julie Warren. When I started trying to build doll furniture I used imperial and converted everything. Then doing Julie Warrens stuff I started using metric and converted everything. Now I am in the units is units camp. I use whichever seems to be the most sensible for that project (whatever units are used by the author, usually). However I do stay with the same units for that entire project. I got several metal rulers with both imperial and metric markings. I will say that I find them to be extremely helpful but the calculations are not hard and I find my own accuracy is more of a limiting factor.
  14. For those starting here in the middle wondering what happened I purchased a dollhouse from an Etsy seller realizing after I had paid That the house in the listing photo I "purchased" was the Broel House of all Seasons and the transaction was a fraud. I have been working at getting my money back ever since. So now you are caught up. Buyer beware and all that.
  15. Susie, No I have not gotten it resolved so far. The seller said she shipped it ( no tracking info ) and I tried to get Etsy once again to do something then as she was still selling. She closed up and went away but Etsy would not allow any action until the dollhouse finally did not arrive a few days ago. Etsy has finally allowed me to file a claim for non delivery requesting a refund from the seller, and we are now waiting for a seller response. She of course has not responded, but her time allowed is not up yet so waiting... I will let everyone know what happens. I did not want to cast a shadow over this thread it is one that I enjoy immensely. The eye candy aspect is always a day brightener and I get lots of ideas and inspiration and a bit of education here. I will always wonder what happened behind the scenes, how many other doll houses that seller sold and if anyone got one. Thank you for the link to The Broel House of all Seasons, I do love that house. (passed that listing info on to Etsy as well)
  16. I love the way you finished the inside of this. I am not any expert but it looks very real to me.
  17. What a great dollhouse. Someone has done some lovely work on it. I agree that it is worth saving and I am glad you decided to rehome it. Someone will enjoy that house a lot.
  18. So this is just an update, and since I feel I am among friends a bit of a vent. I have reported the Etsy seller and supposedly it went to fraud but Etsy has done nothing at all with this as far as I can tell. I have received back 2 computer generated emails with canned answers that indicate no one has given this even a glance. One defined intelectual (sp?) property for me and explained I was not to use other peoples photos,(huh?). The other repeated info on how to email a seller to ask for a refund. Today Etsy has sent me a cheerful "Your item has shipped" message containing no information at all. It is shipping " from the US" with "no tracking info provided" (including no shipper info at all). Did it ship freight? UPS? USPS? Packhorse? So kind of a clue there for Etsy if they wanted to look. Since this morning the seller has boldly added a number of new houses to her store, among them a nice Beacon Hill some and some other nice Greenleaf builds some I did not recognize and a number of builds of real good toys kits. The picture of the Shadowcliff as well as a number of others like that San Franciscan that I recognized (but could not remember from where), are no longer listed in her store. I hope she did not sell them but it is likely she did. She has been snarky as heck only answering that she feels harassed, and I am shocked that Etsy has not made any move to do anything at all. It is hard for me to watch this train wreck and frankly now I am madder at Etsy than the seller.
  19. When you sell a dollhouse you have a big problem. SHIPPING. Dollhouses are huge and awkward, often very heavy and extremely fragile all at the same time. They are a shipping nightmare. Shipping can easily cost as much as the dollhouse but if you can sell only locally you have a pretty limited clientele. And they are so very easily damaged as well.
  20. Thank you Susie for trying. I appreciate the noise to Etsy. I reported it to my card already, and they refused to dispute it because I admitted that before I realized it was a fraud I had purchased it. So according to them it is purchased and I have to document the purchase and wait until it doesn't come or is the wrong item and call back with the earlier complaint I think that they will believe me and I will eventually get my money back. I am kind of sad that there is no lovely dollhouse for sale and coming to me free shipping. It is kind of like being told there is no Santa Clause. I did talk with Bonnie who was kind. She looked up the listing photo and identified not only the dollhouse but also the chandelier, curtains etc in the background. I told her I would give her a call she didn't think Etsy would do much but she would be amused the seller now has multiples of her dollhouse to sell. And that picture is hers.
  21. I don't know anything about Feng Shui but I like that layout.
  22. Sorry poor typing etc. Can I claim it is the fault of a spoiled inner child?
  23. Caution. There is an etsy seller listing doll houses right now and claiming they are hers. She(?) is using pictures of dollhouses off the web. I know because sadly I was taken in. She had picture of a Shadowcliff my favorite dollhouse ever and in good shape. So I purchased it. I did not recognize it at first, but it looked familiar and after some research the photo was lifted from the House of Broel dollhouse museum website. So yes it is THAT Shadowcliff dollhouse . So clearly I am not getting the dollhouse. I complained to etsy complete with links and as far as I can tell they are not interested in doing anything. They have happily charged my card and not only is the seller continuing to do buisness but she has boldly expanded. The Shadowcliff for instance as i write this is now back up on her site and showing as low in stock having only 2 left. HahHa. Please don't laugh at me so hard you bust something. I feel bad enough already. I just saw that picture and hit click to buy. My inner child was clearly in charge . but she has several other dollhouses listed and those look familiar as well . I don't know how to link her store and don't even think I should bit if you PM me I will give you the info and you can look for yourself and maybe get a picture removed if it is yours. By the way as an aside I called House of Broel and Bonnie talked to me confirming it is one of her photos but assured me that she was not selling her Shadowcliff for 375.00 (worth a laugh for those of you know the history of the house.)
  24. Oh I wanted to add that a great book that uses the space viewed through open doors effect very well is " The Big Book of A Miniature House" by Christine Lea Frisoni. it is a lovely inspiring book and you can probably get it at the library. It is an inspiring read and if you can get hold of it you might enjoy browsing through it while waiting.