aussieguy84

Gold Member
  • Last visited

Everything posted by aussieguy84

1. I’ve had a few years away from miniatures and over that time sadly a lot of businesses have closed - one being the amazing Ray Story https://www.raystoreylighting.com/index.html who use to make beautiful hand blown glass lighting fixtures. I’m about to embark on my first 1:12 scale project (previously only worked in 1;24) and looking for some beautiful quailing light fixtures. Does anyone have any businesses/makers where I can locate these from or somewhere that has more variety than the generic ones? thanks in advance for your help!
  2. aussieguy84

Fairfield Build

3. From the album: Fairfield Build

After a three year break I've returned to finish the Fairfield :-)
  4. Thanks Havanholly :-) It's great to be back!
  5. Hi everyone! Since I've been gone for over 3 years I thought it was timely to reintroduce myself :-) Yesterday, full of 2021 enthusiasm, I pulled out my half scale Greenleaf Fairfield from storage! Still so much to do but I'm looking forward to getting stuck into it and reconnecting with everyone. Cheers :-) PS - took me well over 15 minutes to work out how to resize my phone to ensure it's small enough to post ha ha ha
  6. So jealous Laura - I've been chasing a 1:144 scale Beacon Hill! I'm not much help with the build as i've only ever worked in 1:24 scale. Looking forward to seeing your pictures : - )
  7. Hi Drea! Welcome to the forum! You'll find a wealth of information here with many members who have done the Fairfield or other half scale projects. I'm currently towards the end of my first build - half scale Fairfield. I've given myself a christmas deadline! I've stopped and started. Gotten side tracked by making furniture and other bits and pieces. Ummmed and Arhhhhed. And I'm now up to tackling the roof! I've kept the same layout but made many alterations. Because it's a "three dimensional" dollhouse (part of it's appeal & charm) I think it can become difficult to get into spaces to wall paper, lay the flooring, add skirting boards and run the wiring for lights once the next floor has gone on. So forward planning your wall paper, flooring and lighting layout is a must. To be honest it's very achievable for a first build but it is complex and has taken me a long time to complete. We would call it a 'baptism by fire' here in Australia : - ) I would recommend starting by building the base and then dry fitting (slotting them in with no glue but using tape if necessary to hold them together) all the walls. This way your can start cutting out new doorways and windows, covering in old ones, moving/removing/adding walls, and changing the stair configuration. I achieve the cutting with a craft knife, a small hobby saw and a bit of patients, time and some muscle! Good luck! Looking forward to hearing about what you decide!
  8. I'm very turned at the moment between the Dura Craft Heritage and the Beacon Hill. But I've also been looking at other ones too. I've made a promise to myself not to buy and commit this second one until I have finished my Fairfield : - )
  9. Hi Holly - my next build is going to be 1:12 scale. I thought my heart was set on the Beacon Hill but there are some lovely vintage Dura Craft kits which have caught my eye : - ) I've nearly finished my 1:24 scale Fairfield!
  10. Thanks Jeannine! Great advice. Now that I’ve had a little break from it I might try again or stick with the card stock lol!!!
  11. Thanks Carrie - I sent you a private message. No problems Jeannine - a lovely offer all the same.
  12. This same issue is currently driving me crazy too Ashley! If I put the pieces in place and push hard I can get them into position. I'm going to recut my pieces from card stock - feels like i'm cheating but my pacients is being tried ha ha ha
  13. Hi Carrie, Are you willing to sell your kit? You didn't leave a weblink but I'm guessing you are referring to http://www.houseofminiatures.info I'm currently collecting them all, so i'm interested in the whole kit. For my next project i'm going to hack them : - )
  14. Hi everyone, I'm looking to purchase the 40051 Cupboard Top Kit. I've been scouting eBay for some time and nothing. Does anyone have one which they are willing to part with? Thanks
  15. Thanks Karin - this is almost exactly what I was looking for. Pity it's not it kit form. As they have discontinued the kit I think this is my next best bet!
  16. Thanks Carmen! This is most helpful : - ) I still haven't decided yet...some many options which is great!
  17. Oh no! So sad that they have shut down. Hopefully one will pop up on ebay shortly! Thanks for your help!
  18. Hi Sharon! Welcome! You'll find a wealth of information here and everyone is lovely and so helpful. Looking forward to hearing about your build!
  19. On my recent Beacon Hill research adventure I stumbled across a 114th version of the Beacon Hill! It was love at first sight! ha ha ha Further googling has lead me to the original supplier being https://www.miniatures.com/ but they no longer have it in stock them. I've emailed them and am waiting to hear back. Does anyone know where I can track one of these down? Also - does anyone know of other suppliers who make kits in this scale? Thanks