Miss Kitty

Silver Member
  • Last visited

Everything posted by Miss Kitty

1. Anyone in SE Michigan or surrounding area, there's an awesome deal on CL: https://jxn.craigslist.org/bab/6065955991.html Listed 23 hrs ago.
  2. Thanks to all for your suggestions. I'm not hung up on making it brick. I can build a Willow with a brick exterior (listen to me planning all of these builds when I haven't even completed construction of my first one!) My grandparents' house was built in 1941 and was a brick Colonial, and I'd like to recreate it at some point. I love the Willow because it has an upstairs hall for the staircase, but it doesn't appear to have room for a dining room; the Dura Craft Colonial looks like it has a dining room, but I would need to change the stairs to achieve a similar upstairs hall. (I hate when the staircase ends in a bedroom (or worse - a bathroom) because that doesn't happen in "real life," which is why I am changing the stairway in the Glencroft. that I'm currently working on.)
  3. Do the channels make moving walls more difficult? And does "siding the house as you build it" mean I can't substitute another exterior, such as brick?
  4. Has anyone built a Dura-Craft Colonial CH-300? I'm considering buying a kit from EBay. I've done a couple of searches in the Forum and Galleries and haven't found many references.
  5. Not only am I adding the addition, I also decided to reroute the stairs slightly, which required removing the upstairs fireplace. I'll take some pictures this weekend.
  6. I have developed an interest in all things "early mid-century" (thirties through fifties), but don't have the room or the resources to collect life size artifacts. I stumbled across vintage dollhouse toy furniture on EBay and thought a dollhouse would be a fun way to indulge my interest without completely remodeling my house. Imagine my dismay when I discovered that dollhouse kits are a different scale from most of the toy furniture! But then I discovered Strombecker, who made nicely-detailed toy furniture in the early thirties in one inch scale, and also in the forties. I picked the Glencroft for my first house because of the stairs, and because Tudor Revival was popular in the 30s and 40s. I didn't discover this forum until I had almost completed the primary construction, which was probably a good thing - fools go where angels fear to tread... I have now decided to attach a Primrose to the Glencroft, which means filling in some windows and altering the half timber trim. I have no idea how that will come out. And at this rate, the furnishings will remain in their box for quite a while yet!
  7. Thanks for all of your comments. I'm actually attaching the Primrose to a Glencroft. My original plan was to modify the Primrose to add a taller second floor, but after mocking it up in cardboard, I realized I don't yet have the skill to achieve my vision, so I have altered my vision a bit. The Primrose will be attached to the right side and will be the kitchen, the dining room will be the narrow room, and I have enlarged the door between the two rooms into an arch so they are connected but still separate. I didn't like the stairs ending in the bedroom, which is why I wanted a second floor in the Primrose, but have resigned myself to that arrangement. I didn't find this forum until after I had finished most of the construction, but I've learned a lot from it now that I've found it!
  8. Any recommendations or best practices for attaching the Primrose to another building? Or is there a discussion thread that addresses this?