PapaJKK

Platinum Member
  • Last visited

• Days Won

Everything posted by PapaJKK

1. So far, so good for me and my family here in Washington. My son and I purchased a 3D printer in January and it lives at my house, so I have been having a lot of fun with it. Unfortunately, that fun has taken time away from the San Franciscan #555 I am building for my sister. I am mostly printing toys for my grandchildren, so it's not all bad. I am still looking for some dollhouse furniture/accessories I can print, but haven't found anything I like yet. Stay Well, John
  2. This will be a good thing. Thank you for this forum and your commitment to it. John
  3. I don't know about plywood. If you do try it, go with straight cuts only, and have an extra blade or two ready for if/when the first one breaks. John
  4. I have had my Maker for a few months now and I love it. I have used it to cut 1/16" and 3/32" basswood. I've had better luck with the 1/16", but that is mostly due to not taping the wood to the mat well enough and it wandered a bit so I had to cancel the cut. When I taped it better, it didn't wander. Also with 3/32", you need to extend the cutting passes because there is no setting for 3/32" basswood, only 3/32" balsa, so you have to force the machine to keep cutting to get all the way through the basswood. I was able to transfer patterns from Kris Compass' site, import them to Design Space and cut them out. I did that with the onion/potato bin and now I have a cut-out kit to build the bin with. I have imported other patterns but haven't cut them out yet. I needed some 3/4" wide siding for the addition I am building on my Duracraft San Franciscan so I had the Maker cut those out. I also used it to cut out additional doors for the SF. All in all it is a great tool and as I become more proficient with it I will use it more and more. John
  5. A recent conversation here mentioned the window upgrade for the Garfield. It reminded me that I have a full set of the Timberbrook Working Windows upgrade for the Pierce. I have decided to not use them on my Pierce because of the modifications I plan to do. So, they are available. I am including a couple of pictures of what I have. I believe that these will fit the Garfield also, but you will need a few more window for that. If you are interested, PM me for price and additional information. John
  6. What scale are you making your window seat in? I see your shapeways items are all in 1/3 scale.
  7. It looks like it will be amazing!
  8. PapaJKK

tower detail

I love it. The color scheme is very similar to what I am doing on my San Fran 555. I will use some of your detailing ideas. John
  9. I have had my Maker for only a couple months. I have cut out a couple of wood patterns from Kris Compass' tutorials, and I have cut out a couple extra door and window parts for my San Fran 555. I love it! John
  10. From the album: San Fran 555 Build

I plan on corner windows and a window in the center of the side wall. Probably casement windows.
  11. PapaJKK

San Fran 555 Build

Duracraft San Franciscan #555 I am building for my sister.
  12. PapaJKK

Porch decking

From the album: San Fran 555 Build

Possible stain color for the porch decking. I like it because it matches the pink trim, hope my sister likes it also.
  13. PapaJKK

Foundation

Cut stone foundation made from cork board.
  14. PapaJKK

Bashing begins

The wrap-around porch and kitchen addition. The roof of the kitchen will be a balcony off the master bedroom. As you can see, I haven't figured out where the door will be. The open space isn't it either. Maybe next time I'll plan ahead better. Thank goodness for glue and spackle.
  15. PapaJKK

Side view

Before hacking up the side for a door.
  16. PapaJKK

Interior walls

I skinned the interior walls with 2.7mm (7/64") plywood. It matches up nicely with the long frames. I'll just need to spackle the small gaps and I will have smooth walls for finishing.
  17. PapaJKK

Window close up

Window with headers.
  18. From the album: San Fran 555 Build

The foundation, walls, and long frames are glued and everything seems to fit (no egregious gaps). The windows are not glued in yet, that will happen after the interior is complete.
  19. PapaJKK

Window Closeup

Closeup of a finished window.
  20. From the album: San Fran 555 Build

15 windows, 11 pieces per window, 161 total pieces. Nice to have that bit finished.
  21. PapaJKK

Window Parts

All the window parts. After sanding, filling, sanding, and more sanding, painting, sanding, painting and sealing, the windows are ready for assembly. I chose to glue the top frame in and only the bottom frame opens. This helped make a rigid window frame that can be handled without falling apart. Notice the gluing jig I made for assembly.
  22. PapaJKK

First Dryfit

The first Dryfit of my San Fran 555.
  23. PapaJKK

duplicate

Unintentional duplicate picture.
  24. I will be interested in seeing your progress, since I am currently building a San Franciscan #555. This one is for my older sister and I have another one in the box for my 8-year-old granddaughter. So will you start an album so I can maybe "borrow" some ideas? I intend to start an album for mine soon. John