Sister Kyoya

Gold Member
  • Last visited

• Days Won

Everything posted by Sister Kyoya

1. I've actually been reposting these from my Instagram. Personally I just find it easier to put them in the albums because I see them as my 'building photo book' and these little stories are me just being silly while making it easier to have plenty of pics of the build. This house especially, before I bought it I could find dismally few pics. It was a fight to see what the inside even looked like (The Adams has this same problem.) It's a cute house with nice details but definitely benefits from some simple modifications. Me playing around with these little stories gives me a chance to think through what I want to do and explore the possibilities. Also things like the tea box give some perspective, an aspect that can be hard to judge sometimes from pure measurements since I am a very highly visual person. I'm hoping that maybe somewhere down the line someone might find these useful. I know I prefer to look at the gallery to figure things out because I'm also dyslexic and I can gather info from pictures very rapidly compared to reading blocks of text.
  2. We have a pretty active bunch around here. They are good at keeping me company and helping me get things done.
  3. Sister Kyoya

Gingerspice Lodge [ The Madison ]

Turning a humble little Madison kit into a perfect Christmas house with faux gingerbread exterior.
  4. From the album: Gingerspice Lodge [ The Madison ]

Huck: "The back of the house. The whole thing is missing." Me: *facepalm*
  5. From the album: Gingerspice Lodge [ The Madison ]

Huck: *brushes his hands off* "There." Me: "Huck, what did you do?" Huck: "Well I didn't figure she would want someone aimlessly wandering into her house so I put up her door." Me: "But how are you going to get out?"
  6. From the album: Gingerspice Lodge [ The Madison ]

Angel: *snoring softly* Me: "Goodnight Angel." Angel: *SNORE* Me: "Woah. I think it is a good thing that this is a one person house. I don't know if anyone else could sleep through that..." Angel: *Snore* *snore* *SnOrE* *snooore* *snort* *snoRE* Me: "Wow. Maybe we should think of soundproofing the house."
  7. From the album: Gingerspice Lodge [ The Madison ]

Angel: "All tucked in. Thanks for your help Huck. See you in the morning!" Huck: "Goodnight."
  8. From the album: Gingerspice Lodge [ The Madison ]

Angel: "Stockings in a stocking for a mattress and another for a pillow will work just fine." Huck: "This one would be a soft blanket" *rubs it on his cheek* (By the way, these were clean, unused socks from my fabric stash, not ones that people have worn.)
  9. From the album: Gingerspice Lodge [ The Madison ]

Huck: "Is this the box you wanted?" Angel: "Yes, thank you. You can put it in the corner if you would be so generous." (This is my favorite holiday tea that I forgot to have Hubby look for this year. )
  10. From the album: Gingerspice Lodge [ The Madison ]

Angel: "Sugar and spice and everything nice! I will try to do my best to love it and take care of it. I can bake everyday filling it with happiness and good will. I will try my very, very best." Me: "Well about your rent..." Angel: "Oh sugarplums! I need a bed! I can't possibly sleep on my new floor. I might get a sliver." Me: *still talking but not being listened to* "It would be a mortgage really and quite reasonable at ten cents a month..." Angel: *talking to herself* "I'm sure I saw an empty tea box somewhere. I doubt anyone would mind if I used a small stocking to snuggle under."
  11. From the album: Gingerspice Lodge [ The Madison ]

Angel: "Helooo! I'm home! Finally my first night under my own roof!" Me: "You didn't care a few days ago." Angel: "Well that Tsuki fellow said I need to have a home or I couldn't have delivery pizza." Me: "Do you even eat pizza?" Angel: "No, but Hana said that there could be holiday things I can order and have shipped to my house. Like crates full of tinsel. Enough candy canes to line the house. Or pounds and POUNDS of glitter!" Me: "I'm not going to be paying for that." Angel: "'Tis the season of generosity..." Me: :| Update: House is glued and tape removed. Just the surface glue is drying. And the spray bottle is being used as a weight. I'm just relieved that the side walls are flat.
  12. From the album: Gingerspice Lodge [ The Madison ]

Angel: "Are these walls to regulation?" Me: "Would you know if I didn't tell you?" Angel: "No... but it seems to be the right thing to ask." Me: "Then sure." Angel: *squints at me* "Well you did do some assembly so I will trust you are knowledgeable on such matters." Me: "Well, you get what you pay for." ;D
  13. From the album: Gingerspice Lodge [ The Madison ]

And I have some big gaps to fill. This is the center wall that was 3-4mm shorter than the exterior wall. I even tried to hold it together but I needed to put the side walls on. Oh well, I can just fix it this way. It is helping me relax too so that's good. I forgot to take a pic of it finished, but it worked nicely and easily.
  14. From the album: Gingerspice Lodge [ The Madison ]

...and just wipe away the excess with you fingertip.
  15. From the album: Gingerspice Lodge [ The Madison ]

This is a 30ml Syringe with 16Gx1.0'' Blunt Tip Needle (Luer Lock) in case anyone is interested. I found that standard wood glue flows through this nicely although the syringe is really massive capacity wise. I originally had these to 'bottle feed' our foundling kitten but she has long outgrown needing them. Basically squirt the glue down in an even line...
  16. From the album: Gingerspice Lodge [ The Madison ]

Good to know the syringe idea works. Carefully squirt a line then smooth it out/remove excess/ shove it in the gap just by wiping it with my fingertip. Same way it works when caulking a tub. Glued walls & floor but I would like to reinforce them with more glue.
  17. Sister Kyoya

No tickling

From the album: Gingerspice Lodge [ The Madison ]

Tama: "Do I have to tickle you first?"Bree: "Nooooo..." *scampers off while giggling* Angel's house finally has a proper name! Been trying for a few days to think of something original other than "Christmas house" and finally decided on Gingerspice Lodge. By evidence of the massive pieces of tape, the main pieces are glued. My OCD did not like having to use so much tape but better that than the pieces popping out of place with the glue drying. The floor and ceiling pieces are daunting trying to figure out how to glue the length without making a massive mess. That was the single part I had no confidence in and was causing an emotional meltdown. Knowing the pieces don't fit perfectly did not help any. It is probably dry by now since it was finished about 3 hours ago but I'm going to leave it taped until tomorrow. I'm contemplating taking a blunt syringe (left over from our kitten's 'bottle feeding' days) and use it to accurately fill in more of the gaps. I'm just not sure if the wood glue will go through the needles. It might and I think it is worth trying. Especially if it works and would stop the remainder of my OCD anxiety about the structural integrity. (This is not a mild anxiety but one that literally is leaving me so tense my muscles are hurting.) I believe I am past the worst part of construction since all of this had to be done at once. I have bought many dollhouse kits but this is the first to be glued. This is mostly due to my stupid OCD freaking out that everything will go wrong and it paralyzing me. So once the residual nasty emotions stop I'll be able to be a lot happier about it.
  18. Sister Kyoya

Fussy Tama

Shareb: Thank you! Debora59: Tamayuki is a Volks Mini Dollfie Dream (MDD) with an Obitsu 45cm boy chest and is 44cm (17.25 inches tall) and is 1/4 scale. Dollfie Dream are anime styled vinyl dolls made in Japan. He can fit American Girl furniture but an American Girl is almost twice as wide as he is. Hana (Yukinohana, the long blond haired girl in some of the other pics) is a standard Dollfie Dream (DD) and is 57cm (22.5 inches tall) and is 1/3 scale. Tama was my first DD and at the time it was virtually unheard of to have a boy DD/MDD. Only about two years ago did Volks start making boy DD bodies and still do not have an MDD boy, despite having them for years in their resin ball-jointed doll line called Super Dollfie. Both Tama and Hana have DDH-03 heads (the same sculpt) but Tama has custom face paint that I did myself while Hana's was done in the Volks factory. Tama has glass eyes and are very uncommon for Dollfie Dream. They can be hard to photograph depending on the lighting making him look completely shocked. These type of eyes are standardly used for Super Dollfie. Hana has resin 'animetic' (anime style) eyes which are normally used for Dollfie Dreams. My husband and I have been collecting them for almost 7 years now and have quite a collection. If you are interested you can look at Dollfie Dreams on the Volks USA website.
  19. Sister Kyoya

Cheer squad

Bree: "Das done!" *claps* Tama: "Hey get down from there before you break something!"
  20. Sister Kyoya

Grrr

This is what I mean by warped. And it *has* improved after getting wet and being taped overnight. Hubby is home today so he is going to help me get the house glued. I just need to make sure to use really long pieces of tape to hold it until the glue dries. It all sounds so simple but my OCD has been brutal since last night. I've gotten stuck at this step before, ridiculed with overwhelming and crippling anxiety about not doing it right with the million probable things that could go wrong, realistic or not. It is taking a Herculean effort to get past it.
  21. From the album: Gingerspice Lodge [ The Madison ]

Dry fitting was unavoidable. See how straight the side walls are? They weren't when Tama was grouching at me. They had a bow in them that made them stick up about an inch to an inch and a half when laying "flat" on the table. In a panic after even tape couldn't hold them in place I came to the forums. Quick solution: get them wet, hold them flat to dry properly. So I took the cat squirt bottle and squirted the inside of the bow, rubbed it in. It nearly instantly started flattening out. It was easy to see that the two sides of the plywood were very different woods that would dry at different rates. Quickly before they dried I taped them all together, hoping that the sides would dry more to the shape they need to be. Now I'm trying to decide if it would be better to leave it until tomorrow before gluing so they can dry completely.
  22. Sister Kyoya

Fussy Tama

Tama: "Mommy you are procrastinating again." Mommy: "..." Tama: "You said you wanted to hurry up and get the house assembled and it is still in big pieces." Mommy: "I needed to take a little rest... But I found a stove for Angel!" Tama: "I'm happy about that but we need a building to put it in." Mommy: "Yes Tama." Tama: "How are we going to decorate it all cute without the walls standing up without Hana holding them? Her arms will get tired." Mommy: "Yes Tama." Tama: "Santa won't know where to put the presents if we don't have the tree up." Mommy: "Yes Tama." Tama: "You told me you wanted to get it all glued together before Daddy got home." Mommy: "Yes Tama." Tama: "Are we going to start gluing now? Please?" Mommy: "Yes Tama." Sometimes I need a small swift kick in the butt from Tama to stop my OCD worrying about how everything can go wrong if I don't do it *perfectly.* Tama doesn't play those sort of BS games, especially when it gets in the way of Christmas fun.
  23. From the album: Gingerspice Lodge [ The Madison ]

Hana: "Frosted windows... I need to look up on Pinterest on how to do those. And frosting. I think we can use calking? We are going to need to make some huge pieces of candy..." Mommy: "Please don't drag me through Pinterest AGAIN. I want to actually get something done, not idea chasing. You are on Pinterest way too much." Hana: "It is impossible to be on there too much. How anyone ever thought of anything before it existed is beyond me." Mommy: *mumbles* "Says the girl who came from a fantasy world..."
  24. From the album: Gingerspice Lodge [ The Madison ]

Angel: "Now we need to preheat the oven and bake the gingerbread to the perfect doneness. You don't want a half baked house." *snicker snicker*
  25. From the album: Gingerspice Lodge [ The Madison ]

Tama: "Mommy I'm all done sanding these little pieces." Mommy: "Uh, Tama those were just the punched out pieces from the windows." Tama: "We can make a bookshelf from them. We learned that from helping Po with his library." Mommy: "Hmm. Good thinking."