LeFemmeFatale

Silver Member
  • Last visited

Everything posted by LeFemmeFatale

1. Me again! SO. I've finally created all my custom wallpaper and printed them all out. I also have started cutting down and staining all my individual coffee stirrers for my flooring. My question is this: for the Fairfield, since the layout is so complex, I can't figure out if it would be better to lay the flooring down before I put up the walls, or to wallpaper and assemble the walls before I install the flooring? I know everyone says it is preference, and that if you dry fit, you'll be able to see tricky spots before you do it, and decide that way...but for me, the whole thing seems tricky hahaha. Also, I am not wiring for lighting, so that component doesn't matter either. Is there a benefit to doing wall assembly first vs. floor first or vice versa? I am going to paper the walls before I install them in either case, if that makes a difference. Thanks friends!
  2. Thank you so much!! I really appreciate this! I just signed up for the mailing list, so hopefully I'll be in the loop in the future!
  3. Aw this code is expired. Thank you for trying though!
  4. Thank you! I'm on the email list, but I didn't know there was a regular mailing list as well.
  5. Thank you so much!! Ordering now! ❤️
  6. Does anyone happen to know if any of the miniature sites like Miniatures.com ever do Black Friday sales? I need to order quite a few things, but I'd hate to order them now and then find out I could get them cheaper in a few weeks.
  7. Can I ask where you found battery lights small enough for the Fairfield? I've been searching, as I have no interest in trying to electrify mine, but feel like having no lights at all will be disappointing, an seem to only be able to find battery lights in 1:12 scale.
  8. Thank you so much! That helps a lot! The 1/4" looks just like what I was picturing in my head!
  9. Since I don't have anywhere to go to look at these things in person, can anyone suggest a thickness of wood/square dowel that would be an appropriate size for ceiling beams in 1/2 scale?
  10. Right? I spend every spare minute of my time now researching, or browsing, or watching videos, or asking questions, or planning, or freaking out about what to do haha. Have you had any issues with it dissolving the glue in your experience?
  11. Hahaha I feel like I'm going to need therapy BECAUSE of this hobby with how much it's stressing me out lol. I do have some CitraStrip gel. I wonder if that would work.
  12. Ugh, I didn't even think about the carving details. Good point.
  13. So, I've found a source for a bunch of 1:24 scale furniture for a decent price, but the problem is, I don't love the finishes. Originally I was thinking I would just paint them all so it wouldn't matter, but because they are hand-carved wood, I'm now thinking it would be nicer to stain them all. Is there any way to do this without destroying them? I mean, half scale is so tiny, is it even possible to sand the current paint/stain off of them in the first place? I don't want to buy them unless I know I can refinish them, because it's an investment of over $400 (oof this is a pricey hobby!) Thanks all! <3
  14. Thank you! I've just followed her Facebook page...her step by step pictures are helpful!
  15. Those are good tips for decoration/assembly, thank you! Oh sorry, about the window treatments, I meant your curtains, like the ones in the living room with the valance!
  16. Okay, so, I have had a problem trying to find exactly the right wallpaper to use since I am going for a very specific theme for my house, and I am VERY picky. I did find a few scrapbook papers that were the right design, but the scale is off for the Fairfield. Then it occurred to me that I am a former graphic designer, and I could just create my own wallpaper designs exactly how I wanted them (DUH). My question is with scaling. I am not good at math, and don't know anything about wallpaper...so I'm wondering, aside from printing out a ton of samples and wasting a bunch of paper and ink to see what looks right, is there some kind of mathematical formula or conversion chart that might tell me roughly how small I should scale my design down? I know that in 1:24 scale 1/2" equals 1 foot..but the problem is I don't know how big a wallpaper print should be in real life. Example, for a damask design, how many of the damask flowery pieces would occur in a foot in real life? Does any of this make sense? lol
  17. Omg, this makes so much sense. And seems so obvious lol. Ugh. Thank you!
  18. Okay guys. So, I've read hundreds of posts about this, but I'm still a bit confused as to when/how exactly to wallpaper this thing. Yes, I know it's personal preference, but most people seem to agree that because of the size and complexity of the Fairfield, that it's easier to wallpaper the walls before assembly. However, when you do this, doesn't it look strange in the corners where the walls meet since the paper won't be wrapped across the corner? And then won't the bay windows look strange as well because the edges won't be connected? Also, if you wallpaper before assembly, how do you glue it together without messing up the paper? Maybe I'm overthinking this, but I'm just so confused. *Side note: does anyone out there have an actual video of how they wallpapered the Fairfield? I've seen lots of videos on how to wallpaper other houses, but no one on YouTube seems to have documented the Fairfield process, just the finished product. Thank you all! <3
  19. Thank you so much for all of the information! I am so excited about my Fairfield, but also super overwhelmed. I think once I get going it will be okay, but getting started is crippling me for some reason. I have the partial first and second floor dry-fit just sitting on my desk taunting me because I don't know where to go next. I'm so confused about when and how to wallpaper; before the walls go up, or after, when to do the floor; before wallpaper or after....and meanwhile, all I can think about is decorating it because that's the part I'm really interested in. I just end up spending all my time online searching for furniture. Talk about putting the cart before the horse hahaha. Also, I don't have any miniature shops near me, so I can't see anything in person, which is making it even more difficult. My intention is to make a haunted/creepy/spooky/gothic/witchy themed house, so I'm looking for the older style, more ornate furniture. Luckily I'm not trying to make it period-accurate so all the furniture doesn't need to be from the same time period which I think makes it a little easier, basically I'm just looking for things that look "creepy" hahaha. I do have one more question if you don't mind. I love your window treatments as well. Did you make those yourself or purchase them? If you made them, could you possibly tell me what you did? Thank you so much!
  20. Okay, I am completely obsessed with your house and I can't stop looking at it. Your attention to detail is what I envision for mine once it's built. Where on earth do you find all of your gorgeous furniture and rugs? I am having a hell of a time trying to find anything for my Fairfield. No one has anything nice at 1:24 scale!
  21. Hey everyone! I am new to dollhouses and miniatures (and this site). I have already posted in the welcome/introductory forum, but I know I will have a bunch of questions, so I thought I would start my own thread here. I have been reading and researching non-stop about the Fairfield, and how everyone has done it. I have read so many blogs, and forums, and looked at pictures until my eyes felt like they were going to bleed. I think what overwhelms me so much is how everyone is just like, "there are so many ways to do it, just do whatever you want!". That is not how I operate lol. I like to know exactly what I need to do at what time to get the best results. I don't like experimenting and "trying as I go" so this is going to be tricky for me. Anyways, I digress. I have already started putting together my dry fit, to try and figure out which wallpaper I want in which rooms, etc. I don't plan to "bash" this kit as I'm already overwhelmed enough, but there are a few cosmetic things I know I'd like to do to make her a little prettier. I do not have a miniature store near me, so shopping in person is out of the question. I have gone to a few sites suggested in many of these posts, but I am finding that each of these stores seem to only offer a couple of things. None of them have all the things I think I need. So, in order to try and simplify this process, and not spend a million dollars in shipping from 5 different stores, I was wondering if anyone could recommend an online store that has a very large selection and may carry all (or most) of these items. So far, what I am looking for (in 1:24 scale): - brick paper - siding sheets - interior doors - baseboards and moulding - stair handrails, spindles, and newel posts - beadboard - ceiling carvings / textured ceiling paper For example, miniatures.com has the staircase items, doors, and the brick paper, but none of the other stuff Thank you so much for your help!
  22. I hope you don't mind me asking you questions here...I have SO many hahaha....I notice one of the first things you said you would change in the Fairfield is the staircase and you would replace it with a Houseworks one. How would that work? Do you buy one already assembled that fits in that space? Or do you buy a kit and try to modify it to fit? I do feel like the staircase is lackluster, and feel like if I don't upgrade it, it will make me sad later, but I'm so overwhelmed with just the basics of how to assemble/paint/paper a house that the idea of trying to modify it at all is terrifying.
  23. Thank you so much for your help! I appreciate it! And I'm definitely going to check out your blog right now!