PerkinsPixies

Silver Member
  • Last visited

Everything posted by PerkinsPixies

1. So glad to find this thread since I’ve wondered if other miniaturists use a Maker. As a scrapbooker, I’ve owned various Cricut machines since they first came out. I wasn’t excited about learning to use Cricut Design Space, but it was easy to learn & I absolutely love using it! Just a few days ago I told my hubby that I’d like to upgrade to the Maker now that I’m doing mini’s! We’re going to keep an eye out for the best Black Friday deal next month!
  2. From the album: Rehab of Mom’s VH600

Exterior painting done & railings have been repaired. Waiting to glue a few railing sections until all doors & windows have been put back.
  3. PerkinsPixies

Rehab of Mom’s VH600

Before pics
  4. Yes, when my Mom built it in the 70’s she upgraded all the windows, doors, and railings.
  5. PerkinsPixies

Fridge surround

Looks amazing! I love the farmhouse sink too. Did you make it? If so, how did you go about it? I’m just about to start making one myself.
  6. From the album: Rehab of Mom’s VH600

This window had us stumped for a bit. My Mom had a plastic “stained glass” piece in it & my Dad modified the window opening & built the window to fit. I found some mullions & made the insert to fit. We like it much better!
  7. Thanks so much for the great info! I will definitely take pictures of what I can! Writing on the back of business cards is a great ideas! It will be interesting to see what we come home with! I will post pics. Counting down the days!
  8. My daughter & I are meeting my Mom in Seattle next weekend for the Seattle Miniature Show. It will be our first mini show! We’re excited, but definitely rookies! Any recommendations on what to bring, booths/tables not to miss, or maybe what NOT to look for? All suggestions welcome! Thanks in advance!
  9. I have never wired before either, but just finished tape wiring using Creatve Reproductions 2 scale. I bought their kit that came with everything needed & watched the video that was noted by Sable. I watched it several times before starting. I was surprised by how fast it went. I was also pleasantly surprised that each connection worked when tested!
  10. Those look amazing! Can’t wait to the pic with the roof all in place!
  11. Very elegant house! I like the color of the roof! May I ask how you went about painting the roof?
  12. From the album: Rehab of Mom’s VH600

Painting done. Now on to the railings
  13. From the album: Rehab of Mom’s VH600

New paint for this Victorian farmhouse!
  14. From the album: Rehab of Mom’s VH600

Starting rehab...forgot to take a good “before” pic of front..this is the best we have!
  15. Thank you Emily! I appreciate the cut-down pin tip! Your railings look great & sturdy! These spindles have been the one thing always needing repair since my Mom built this house! She upgraded the spindles from what was in the kit. They look nice, but are very delicate! I’m amazed none were lost! Spending the extra time & effort now seems worth it so I don’t have to keep repairing broken spindles in the future.
  16. Thank you for the help! The pieces are painted, but there is raw wood where they were glued previously. Some spindles are firmly in place, so adding the missing spindles is what seems tricky because they don’t seem tall enough to stay in well. Do I make a tiny shim? There are sections where several spindles are missing & it’s no longer attached to the house at all. My husband says to take that section totally apart & rebuild it, since I can lay it flat. I guess sometimes you have to disassemble in order to properly reassemble?
  17. My daughter & I are newbies rehabbing a vh600 Victorian & I’m a little stumped on how to repair the porch railings. Some are perfectly glued in place, some are just missing a few spindles and others are completely in pieces! Fortunately, I have all the pieces. I understand how to rebuild the pieces, but what is the best way to glue in a missing spindle? How do you get glue into such a tiny space without disturbing the neighboring spindles? And how do you hold something so delicate together while it dries?
  18. Love the detail of the pin cushion, thimble, and sewing needles!
  19. Hello everyone! I’ve enjoyed reading the posts here and have been meaning to say hello! My daughter & I are renovating a Dura Craft VH600 that my mother built over 35 years ago. I remember when she opened the huge box full of thousands of pieces of wood! She said looking at all those pieces was so overwhelming that she almost changed her mind & wanted to take it back to the store! My Dad made her a work table and she plugged away at it for years. She wired it, wallpapered it and laid wood flooring in the largest room. She painted it yellow & it was a permanent fixture in our home. Of course, my 3 brothers & I were rarely allowed to play with it after all the hard work she had put into it. My Dad had quickly restored my Mom’s childhood dollhouse for me to play with, but it paled in comparison to what she was building! When our family moved, my Mom’s best friend offered to keep the house for a while. Eventually, I got married & moved away and so did my 3 brothers. Now that there was extra room, the house was returned to my Mom. Enter Grandchildren....those delicate railings on the dollhouse didn’t stand a chance! My daughter is 13 now and has always loved all things miniature. My Mom has wanted to give her the dollhouse for years, but we just didn’t have room. Now we do, so in October it was delivered by my parents, along with several boxes of miscellaneous building pieces, old copper wiring tape and tons of furniture & miniatures! At first I wasn’t sure about this project, but I have totally fallen in love! And it is a bonding time with my daughter that doesn’t involve a screen in front of her face! ;) We have removed the old yellowed wallpaper, the old wiring, and the curling wood flooring. Currently, we are painting the exterior. I will post pics when I’m allowed. My Mom, daughter & I plan to attend the Seattle Minature show in March... 3 generations of miniaturists!